PDA

View Full Version : ***Noob alert*** - Ben some advice?

-250-
01-16-2004, 10:48 AM
Maybe some of you more knowledgeable users, can help me out.

I am look for information about swaps, and turbo kits for the mk2 golf gti.

I am not looking to creat a rice rocket that will paralelle that of any civic, but i am looking for a bit of getup and go.

My father and I with some friends, would be able to do the swap, so I am only looking for parts suggestions.

Thanks alot.

Ben
01-16-2004, 02:25 PM
[email protected]

email me with what you are lookin for.

finboy
01-16-2004, 06:54 PM
what year golf?

-250-
01-16-2004, 07:56 PM

Ben
01-16-2004, 08:14 PM
Alot has to do with custom fabrication. If I was you, I would scout out a Corrado G60 motor or a 2.0L 8V Cross Flow, and then custom fabricate a Turbo Manifold for it and use a turbo off a Talon or something similar. You'll require some motor work on the Cross Flow, but the G60 Corrado motor would be perfect, super strong, was built for boost. You could build a reliable motor for probably 4k installed, all neccessary parts included.

itsnotaDUB
01-17-2004, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by Ben
Alot has to do with custom fabrication. If I was you, I would scout out a Corrado G60 motor or a 2.0L 8V Cross Flow, and then custom fabricate a Turbo Manifold for it and use a turbo off a Talon or something similar. You'll require some motor work on the Cross Flow, but the G60 Corrado motor would be perfect, super strong, was built for boost. You could build a reliable motor for probably 4k installed, all neccessary parts included.

:werd:
if i were you, i would do a VR6 swap. i think there is alot more that can be pullud out of that 2.8 than a g60. thats what i was going to do if i didnt buy my car....

Ben
01-17-2004, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by itsnotaDUB

:werd:
if i were you, i would do a VR6 swap. i think there is alot more that can be pullud out of that 2.8 than a g60. thats what i was going to do if i didnt buy my car....

VR6 is a money pit on mods though, if you have the money, then this or an Audi TT 1.8T would be ideal. When you shoehorn the VR6 in you lose alot of hand space to fix stuff, so making a turbo application takes about twice as long andharder to do, hense alot more money.

finboy
01-17-2004, 04:17 AM
the crossflow g-60 would have been my suggestion as well, and if you can, try to get the g60 electronics.

i met a guy in town who had this set up in his rabbit and it ran quite well. as for a turbo, my personal selsction would be a mitsubishi or garrett off of a turbo dodge, that way if you blow it up, its only 60 bucks to replace it. now if you want a really cool turbo, see if you can track down garrett VNT25, variable nozzle so it eliminates almost all lag. these turbo's came on a few 89-91 turbo dodges, and are a little harder to find and hook up, but the results will speak for themselves.

as for vr6, get ready to spend tonnes of money.

-250-
01-17-2004, 05:07 PM
Can I turbo the stock motor?

What motor is stock?

Ben
01-17-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by -250-
Can I turbo the stock motor?

What motor is stock?

hmmmm....this makes like no sense, so I'm gonna take a stab in the dark.

Yes you can turbo any motor VW had in their cars In Canada, however, some will require more work than others to run reliably and effectivly.

finboy
01-17-2004, 11:01 PM
you can, and the cheapest way would be find a turbodiesel jetta or golf or jetta from the wrecker and grab the exhaust manifold and turbo, as well as the downpipe (exhaust connecting to the turbo). for a cheap method of turbocharging, this would be my recomendation, but remember to address fuel consumption as well.

luckily you have the 89 which uses digifant fuel injection, making it much easier to turbocharge than CIS.

itsnotaDUB
01-18-2004, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by finboy
you can, and the cheapest way would be find a turbodiesel jetta or golf or jetta from the wrecker and grab the exhaust manifold and turbo, as well as the downpipe (exhaust connecting to the turbo). for a cheap method of turbocharging, this would be my recomendation, but remember to address fuel consumption as well.

luckily you have the 89 which uses digifant fuel injection, making it much easier to turbocharge than CIS.

sounds like someone has done their homework

finboy
01-18-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by itsnotaDUB

sounds like someone has done their homework

i pondered doing the swap in my 85 but it had constant injection, so it would have been a bitch. eventually i said to hell with it and got into turbo dodges, they don't look as good, but boost is addictive no matter what vehicle it comes from :thumbsup:

Roaring G60
01-18-2004, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by finboy

Remember however, a diesel turbo is designed for an effieceny map toping out around 4500 motor rpm. your top end performance would not be what it could be!! just a hint

finboy
01-18-2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Roaring G60

Remember however, a diesel turbo is designed for an effieceny map toping out around 4500 motor rpm. your top end performance would not be what it could be!! just a hint

true, but for budget and simplicity, it is the cheapest route (more or less). plus you can always find turbo's with the same flange pattern to upgrade with.