PDA

View Full Version : Crossing Border With Tineted Windows

94boosted
05-20-2011, 10:23 AM
Did a search and nothing came up. Stupid question. I'm going down to Montana for the long weekend and I wanted to take my car which has the driver and pass windows tinted (not too dark ~50%) will I have issues? Has anyone done this before?

Thaco
05-20-2011, 10:25 AM
they're customs, not traffic cops.

if your paranoid just make sure the front windows are all the way down before you get to the booth

G-ZUS
05-20-2011, 10:25 AM
open your windows before you get there?

schocker
05-20-2011, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by G-ZUS
open your windows before you get there?
I prefer to keep my windows closed and pass my documents through the sunroof.

taemo
05-20-2011, 10:29 AM
they wont care.

like what thaco said, they're customs and not cops.
If you see any cops or sheriffs along the montana highway then that's when you should worry but I've seen tons of tinted cars there so not that big of a deal IMO

94boosted
05-20-2011, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Thaco
they're customs, not traffic cops.

Ok good to know, thanks.

Originally posted by schocker

I prefer to keep my windows closed and pass my documents through the sunroof.

:rofl: obviously the drivers window will be down but if it's raining and I drive up with both windows down....

Like I said stupid question but I just wanted to be sure.

Thanks

luxor
05-20-2011, 10:42 AM
Why the hell would they care, from my research Montana state allows 24% tint LEGALLY.

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/MT/

94boosted
05-20-2011, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by luxor
Why the hell would they care, from my research Montana state allows 24% tint LEGALLY.

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/MT/

Good to know. Thanks. But on the way back......

schocker
05-20-2011, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by 94boosted

They would only hassle you on that if they thought they could get some duty out of it. They have cameras and what not to see everything while you are in line, i have gone through with all windows tinted, but they will not care.

luxor
05-20-2011, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by 94boosted

Yeah don't even stress over it, 50% is light, mine has 35% and I was ok. Just roll them down, they won't even check.

Actually to come to think of it, I don't think they enforce the TSA. If they have no authority to write equipment violation tickets under TSA then they can't do shit even with 5% tint.

94boosted
05-20-2011, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by luxor

Yeah don't even stress over it, 50% is light, mine has 35% and I was ok. Just roll them down, they won't even check.

Actually to come to think of it, I don't think they enforce the TSA. If they have no authority to write equipment violation tickets under TSA then they can't do shit even with 5% tint.

Not stressed lol, but I'd rather not have a $150 ticket or worse still peeled tint like in the other thread :rofl:

Thanks luxor.

dj_rice
05-20-2011, 11:25 AM
They are gonna ask you to get out of the car at gunpoint

Phenix
05-20-2011, 11:32 AM
Just make sure your windows are before you pull up to the booth and make sure you're not wearing sunglasses. also have the passport open to the picture page for both you and passengers.

Pretty easy.

94boosted
05-20-2011, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice
They are gonna ask you to get out of the car at gunpoint

Oh shit really :(

Originally posted by Phenix
Just make sure your windows are before you pull up to the booth and make sure you're not wearing sunglasses. also have the passport open to the picture page for both you and passengers.

Pretty easy.

Cool thanks, good tip on the sunglasses.

Phenix
05-20-2011, 11:41 AM
ya they can get pretty upset about that. plus sometimes they ask you some stupid questions,

like when was the last time you were in jail?

I think they like to mess with people. they just sit their all day, so i guess they like to have fun with it.

But mostly they just want to make sure you're not hiding anything

Jlude
05-20-2011, 12:13 PM
I've crossed the border with no license plates on my car... I doubt they care about tint on your windows

Speed_69
05-20-2011, 12:19 PM
I crossed the border to go to Seattle last year from Vancouver. I have 30% tint on my front windows and had no problems.

Troll-ol
05-20-2011, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Speed_69
I crossed the border to go to Seattle last year from Vancouver. I have 30% tint on my front windows and had no problems. did you pass the documents through the sunroof?

Kobe
05-20-2011, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Troll-ol
did you pass the documents through the sunroof?

Holy shit I laughed so hard..

BlackFyre
05-21-2011, 02:35 AM
Went through the Montana/Alberta border with 35% tint on Driver and Passenger windows, all I got was a cavity search. :dunno:

J-D
05-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by BlackFyre
Went through the Montana/Alberta border with 35% tint on Driver and Passenger windows, all I got was a cavity search. :dunno:

I went to Montana a few months back with a buddy who has one of those stupid "I heart marijuana" decals on his truck... we got through just fine :thumbsup: I was pretty worried that they were going to fuck with us for that, haha.