PDA

View Full Version : Scrap Iron Place?

Mckenzie
05-21-2011, 08:33 AM
I have some railing that came out of my house renovation...about 4 floors worth of it, and was wondering if anyone knows where I could go do cash it in. It seems like a waste to throw it in a dump run.

You get 50% if you come and take it! :bigpimp:

lint
05-21-2011, 08:52 AM
federal metals or Calgary metals

heavyfuel
05-21-2011, 05:58 PM
Seriously dude... scrap metal is so not worth it. I think it's at around 85$ per tonne right now for scrap. Navajo require full body armor (steel toes, saftey glasses, long sleeve, and a hard hat) and there's a fat fuck ray of sunshine at the gate that will make sure you have all that, and they're mostly assholes in there anyways. Federal are picky as hell about what they take, they always seem to have an angle to not be accepting any of what you have on that particular day. Calgary Metals is your best bet, (friendlier and you could go in there in flip flops if you want) but the lineups are huge. You could be there an hour for barely enough for beer money, best bet is to get a free scrap hauler kijiji guy, trust me you're gonna be disappointed if you take all that time to DIY. Good luck.

thager
05-21-2011, 06:30 PM
ill haul it for free, what part of the city are you in?

Mckenzie
05-21-2011, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by heavyfuel
Seriously dude... scrap metal is so not worth it. I think it's at around 85$ per tonne right now for scrap. Navajo require full body armor (steel toes, saftey glasses, long sleeve, and a hard hat) and there's a fat fuck ray of sunshine at the gate that will make sure you have all that, and they're mostly assholes in there anyways. Federal are picky as hell about what they take, they always seem to have an angle to not be accepting any of what you have on that particular day. Calgary Metals is your best bet, (friendlier and you could go in there in flip flops if you want) but the lineups are huge. You could be there an hour for barely enough for beer money, best bet is to get a free scrap hauler kijiji guy, trust me you're gonna be disappointed if you take all that time to DIY. Good luck.

haha....I want to meet this Ray guy.

That is kind of what I am thinking anyways.

Originally posted by thager
ill haul it for free, what part of the city are you in?

that would be great....I'll send you a PM.

sillysod
05-24-2011, 02:48 PM
Probably $15 max for 4 floors of railings. Really not worth it.

We take all ours to Blackfoot Metals normally and don't even bother waiting in line. Just have the guys throw it in a pile and leave - no point having a guy that costs $25.00/hr sit in line for an hour for $20.00.

Unless it's copper or aluminum don't plan on getting more then what your gas cost will be.

thager
05-24-2011, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by sillysod
Probably $15 max for 4 floors of railings. Really not worth it.

We take all ours to Blackfoot Metals normally and don't even bother waiting in line. Just have the guys throw it in a pile and leave - no point having a guy that costs $25.00/hr sit in line for an hour for $20.00.

Unless it's copper or aluminum don't plan on getting more then what your gas cost will be.

you were close , got $16 for all of it

TomcoPDR
05-24-2011, 05:51 PM
Maybe someone can repaint them and reuse them?

7thgenvic
05-25-2011, 08:43 AM
Westcan Recyclers is probably your best bet. I know a ton of Beyonders hit up that place because they actually give fair prices on scrap. I would never ever go to blackfoot. Used them in the past for out companies and they were rippin us off.

Tik-Tok
05-25-2011, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by heavyfuel
Seriously dude... scrap metal is so not worth it. I think it's at around 85$ per tonne right now for scrap. Navajo require full body armor (steel toes, saftey glasses, long sleeve, and a hard hat) and there's a fat fuck ray of sunshine at the gate that will make sure you have all that, and they're mostly assholes in there anyways.

Lol, I see I'm not the only person to experience Navajo's excellent customer relations :rofl:

MM99lude
05-25-2011, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by thager

you were close , got $16 for all of it

Where did you take it and how much did they say it weighed?

thager
05-25-2011, 06:04 PM
calgary metal on ogden rd, 320 lbs

R81BB6
05-26-2011, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by 7thgenvic
Westcan Recyclers is probably your best bet. I know a ton of Beyonders hit up that place because they actually give fair prices on scrap. I would never ever go to blackfoot. Used them in the past for out companies and they were rippin us off.

I used to haul scrap with my Dad years ago to Westcan recyclers when these guys were just a tiny outfit - such nice people.

I just got back into Calgary a month ago and went googling to get rid of some stuff my Dad left and old parts from the lude - found their website www.westcanrecyclers.com (http://www.westcanrecyclers.com) emailed them for pricing and then went back in 2 weeks ago and the place is 100 times bigger now.

All you people that complain about hour long waits or unfair pricing - go check them out. They have a fair amount of traffic but I've never waited longer then 20 minutes from arrival to cash in my hand. Westcan's been really good to us for the better part of the last 8 years so bump for those guys!

benyl
05-26-2011, 10:37 AM
Do they accept blown motors?

R81BB6
05-26-2011, 01:03 PM
Ya they do. But you have to drain all the fluids out of the thing before anyone will take it from you.