PDA

View Full Version : Hyundai Veloster

Robnaldo
05-21-2011, 11:22 AM
This car is coming out pretty soon, and is actually quite interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Veloster

http://www.roadandtrack.com/auto-shows/detroit/2012-hyundai-veloster/gallery

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/news/car/11q1/2012_hyundai_veloster_official_photos_and_info-auto_shows/gallery/2012_hyundai_veloster_photo_20/4060953-1-eng-US/2012_hyundai_veloster_205_cd_gallery.jpg
http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/news/car/11q1/2012_hyundai_veloster_official_photos_and_info-auto_shows/gallery/2012_hyundai_velosters_photo_29/4061079-1-eng-US/2012_hyundai_veloster_303_cd_gallery.jpg
http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/news/car/11q1/2012_hyundai_veloster_official_photos_and_info-auto_shows/gallery/2012_hyundai_veloster_photo_21/4060967-1-eng-US/2012_hyundai_veloster_206_cd_gallery.jpg

It's definitely not a car-enthusiasts car......but a combination of utility/style/efficiency/price.

(Although there may be a turbo later on)

What do you guys think?

kvg
05-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Looks like an uglier Honda crz.:thumbsdow

Vagabond142
05-21-2011, 11:42 AM
I think Korean cars are finally (as in the past 2-3 years) getting their act together and jumping into the void left behind by Honda and Toyota. Kia and Hyundai are now the "cheap, decently built, and sporty" companies. The Forte (and Forte Koup), the Veloster, even the Optima to some extent, all have good lines, attractive price points for the "first time young buyer," and have warranties better than the big name Japanese companies.

As to the car itself... I actually like the lines. The back is one of those things I think you'd have to learn to love, but otherwise I love the sweeping windows concept, and the fact that it looks like an upscale Mazda3 Sport (that's not a bad thing)

Robnaldo
05-21-2011, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by kvg
Looks like an uglier Honda crz.:thumbsdow

It's definitely a polarizing look.

It think the entire class has polarizing looks:
Mini, Juke, CR-Z, Veloster

(dunno if you can say they are all the same class...but similar idea concept anyways)

I'm definitely the biggest fan of the Veloster out of the bunch.

A790
05-21-2011, 12:13 PM
When the turbo is released I think it will be a very competitive car. +1 to Hyundai :)

ddduke
05-21-2011, 12:17 PM
I was looking at it for a long time at the auto show and had a pretty in depth convo with the sales person. He gave me a tour of their entire line and I was really impressed.

The Veloster actually looks really good in person and I was very impressed with it. I was told it's going to be dropping some time later this year by the sales guy and the price point will be starting around the 17-19 range (I don't know how accurate any of that info is).

My girlfriend is in the market for a new car and since she only drives 3-5000km a year (if that) we're looking at a cheaper economy car. I'm going to be holding out for this and the Scion IQ, if you're a fan of this then the Scion IQ is definitely worth looking at. It looks small in pictures but is actually quite a bit bigger then you'd imagine and looks very roomy.

kvg
05-21-2011, 12:18 PM
turbo would be sweet

Guillermo
05-21-2011, 03:02 PM
i think it looks great, although it's not my style and I don't think i'd personally ever buy one.

Sugarphreak
01-19-2018, 11:10 PM

J-hop
01-19-2018, 11:17 PM
Interesting. At the end of the day though a GTI still feels nice after 50,000 kms. Where as a veloster feels like a shitty tin can right off the lot. Will be tough to compete I think.

I drove a veloster for the first time last year and was blown away with how shitty it felt. I had driven things like the sonata and Santa Fe and was impressed with how far Hyundai had come, veloster felt like the early days of Hyundai

rage2
01-19-2018, 11:54 PM
Biermann was the head of BMW M, poached by Hyundai. The Kia stinger has strong reviews on fun factor. I understand what he’s talking about on the GTI, as I tracked mine several times. After 2 laps, you know everything about the car. There’s no nuance, no character, just driving the car around the track aimlessly.

Wouldn’t be surprised if the Veloster N is nothing like the existing car. I too was underwhelmed by the veloster turbo.

Sugarphreak
01-19-2018, 11:55 PM

Hallowed_point
01-20-2018, 10:43 AM
I agree that the GTI has zero drama or excitement even compared to an 8th Gen civic Si. Great cars, but very predictable and frankly, lacking in personality.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-20-2018, 11:33 AM
Hyundai i30 N was getting good driving reviews over seas, my friends just laughed at me when I sent them a video.

J-hop
01-20-2018, 11:43 AM
I agree that the GTI has zero drama or excitement even compared to an 8th Gen civic Si. Great cars, but very predictable and frankly, lacking in personality.

Isn’t a zero drama, well balanced, predictable car exactly what you want for the track?

revelations
01-20-2018, 12:45 PM
Isn’t a zero drama, well balanced, predictable car exactly what you want for the track?

I guess for straight up lap times yes. But if its a "fun" factor you're after then I guess not so much?

BokCh0y
01-20-2018, 02:07 PM
Looks pretty good. This is the alpha veloster compared to mar's beta veloster :rofl:

I'd like to test one out, but like j-hop mentioned, I imagine that after 50k km, this car would feel pretty loose.

rage2
01-20-2018, 04:05 PM
I guess for straight up lap times yes. But if its a "fun" factor you're after then I guess not so much?
This. Not like the GTI was blazing fast either. I was pretty much dead even with a S2K. Guaranteed the S2K driver had a shit eating grin on his face after 10 laps. I just had car envy haha.

speedog
01-21-2018, 08:09 AM

Even in the looks department, the GTI is quite blah - it just doesn't look exciting unless you're into a block of butter that a school aged kid has carved up with a butter knife.

Mitsu3000gt
01-22-2018, 10:52 AM
I test drove both a Veloster and an Elantra and first impressions were junk. Flimsy and floor to ceiling hard plastic. I agree with the earlier comment that they felt like early-days Hyundai. Their bigger cars like the Santa Fe and Genesis though are much, much better. If they can give the Type-R a run for its money with this Veloster N, that would be cool - they have the right man for the job now.

Hallowed_point
01-22-2018, 11:08 AM
Even in the looks department, the GTI is quite blah - it just doesn't look exciting unless you're into a block of butter that a school aged kid has carved up with a butter knife.

I kind of agree. Pretty tame styling.

My dad just picked up a stick shift Elantra GT. It's pretty decent!

never
01-22-2018, 11:15 AM
I miss the Hyundai Pony.

J-hop
01-22-2018, 07:04 PM
I have a tough time getting over the 3 door shenanigans too. I found it irritating. It’s not a coupe, but you give the driver an oversized coupe-ish style door that they are never going to use for loading people so it’s a waste. Along with that you don’t give the driver the ease of access to the backseat?

I seem to remember on top of that it feels cockeyed with the different pillars.

Xtrema
01-23-2018, 12:27 PM
I have a tough time getting over the 3 door shenanigans too. I found it irritating. It’s not a coupe, but you give the driver an oversized coupe-ish style door that they are never going to use for loading people so it’s a waste. Along with that you don’t give the driver the ease of access to the backseat?

I seem to remember on top of that it feels cockeyed with the different pillars.

Driver get to see the coupe lines while passenger to ease of access of backseat.

Not my my cup of tea but definitely unique. Especially coupes are now dropping like flies in this segment.

Swank
01-23-2018, 12:32 PM
Definitely an improvement looks-wise, but still looks like an midget SUV, errr, little car.