PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding permits

relyt92
05-21-2011, 11:59 AM
Hey guys, is there a permit or anything official that needs to be done if I wanted to cover part of my front lawn with gravel and park on it? I'm pretty sure I'd need one for an actual paved driveway, but is it the same with just putting down rocks and parking there?

rob the knob
05-21-2011, 03:59 PM
sounds like a good way to bring down your property value and neighbors
Originally posted by relyt92
Hey guys, is there a permit or anything official that needs to be done if I wanted to cover part of my front lawn with gravel and park on it? I'm pretty sure I'd need one for an actual paved driveway, but is it the same with just putting down rocks and parking there?

logix
05-22-2011, 11:11 AM
This type of thing is covered under the Land Use Bylaw.
Here's an excerpt:

Driveways
341 (4) Vehicles may only be parked in the actual front setback area when the vehicle is located on a driveway or motor vehicle parking stall that is surfaced with asphalt, concrete or similar hard surface.

(Actual front setback area means the area between the front property line to the farthest building setback from the front property line and from side property line to side property line).

I'm assuming you're in a developed area (established).. to legally construct a driveway (hard surface) you have to meet this criteria:

Driveways
341 (6) In the Developed Area a driveway accessing a street must not be constructed, altered or replaced except where:
(a) it is located on a laneless parcel;
(b) it is located on a laned parcel and 50.0 per cent or more parcels on the same block face have an existing driveway accessing a street; or
(c) there is a legally existing driveway that it is not being relocated or widened.

To sum it up.. no, you cannot park on gravel that you poured on your front lawn.. and if you want to pour a new driveway accessing a street, you will most likely have to apply for a Development Permit. (http://www.calgary.ca/DocGallery/BU/dba/carls/driveway_accessing_street_developed_area.pdf)