PDA

View Full Version : What kind of battery should I get? where should I buy it?

gt2871r
05-22-2011, 01:37 AM
Hello, I store my car every winter (this was the third winter), and my battery has finally bit the dust from being let completely die over a span of 5 months every winter. My Apexi turbo timer is telling me the car is making 13.4V when its running, but requires a boost every time, and refuses to charge. When the car is not running, my turbo timer tells me 6.8V-8.0V depending on what else is on.

With that said, I'm looking to replace it with a high quality, compact (needs to clear FMIC pipe) battery. I've been looking at Odysseys on FRsport.com, but shipping a battery is pretty damn expensive.

Anyone have any recommendations for a small battery? Where in Calgary would I find a compact battery? I looked at Canadian Tire, but I'm not paying for 550CCA when I need like 300 tops.

Thanks

ExtraSlow
05-22-2011, 07:59 AM
Since almost all batteries come with some kinds of warranty, and even the best companies occasionally produces ones with defects, I recommend buying it from somewhere that has a lot of locations.
I just bought a batter this weekend in fact, and I went to NAPA for that reason. As far as I know, it's got more locations than any other automotive retailer in Canada.

Also, you should start storing your battery inside during the winter. If you really want to baby it, leave it on a trickle charger as well.

Letting it freeze solid while it's been drained of charge from the small parasitic draws is probably the worst thing you could do.

sr20s14zenki
05-22-2011, 08:08 AM
Theres a few local dealers for the Odyssey brand. I personally have a pc680 on my s13, and love it. I even froze it during the winter and it still holds a charge haha.

check it out

ZMan2k2
05-22-2011, 09:02 AM
Dealer that was recommended to me for Odyssey is A and D battery. Yellowpages.ca page (http://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Alberta/Calgary/A-n-D-Batteries-Ltd/6086086.html) with phone # and addy.

BokCh0y
05-22-2011, 11:13 AM
I've been using a Sears Die Hard gold. Great battery, no probs with it at all.

Rat Fink
05-22-2011, 11:24 AM

GTS4tw
05-22-2011, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
Whatever you get, make sure it's not a Motomaster Eliminator battery unless you love having your engine bay corroded to shit!

Hmm, ive gone through half a dozen of these in different vehicles, running them in both my trucks now and never had a problem. The one in my beater car is ~6 years old and still starts like new.

G-ZUS
05-22-2011, 01:01 PM
I like my Cosco batteries

gt2871r
05-22-2011, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
Theres a few local dealers for the Odyssey brand. I personally have a pc680 on my s13, and love it. I even froze it during the winter and it still holds a charge haha.

check it out

Just googled that model, looks great, but my SR20 does not need 680 CCA haha. When I was doing some research on what battery to get, some people were even using small utility batteries with 200 CCA.

Where did you buy your Odyssey? does Mopac sell them?

Thanks

teknical
05-22-2011, 02:40 PM
I got my Odyssey and trickler from A and D battery. It's over on Manhattan Rd just off blackfoot.

gt2871r
05-22-2011, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by teknical
I got my Odyssey and trickler from A and D battery. It's over on Manhattan Rd just off blackfoot.

Thanks! I'm going to give them a call either tomorrow or Tuesday and see what they have available.

bituerbo
05-23-2011, 04:33 PM
I go with Deka, a little pricier, but the battery doesn't discharge itself nearly as quickly as a typical lead acid. They are absorbed glass mat (AGM) and they are available locally direct from the distributor, East Penn. They are identical in construction to the Braille battery series, only about 1/2 the cost.

gt2871r
05-23-2011, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by bituerbo
I go with Deka, a little pricier, but the battery doesn't discharge itself nearly as quickly as a typical lead acid. They are absorbed glass mat (AGM) and they are available locally direct from the distributor, East Penn. They are identical in construction to the Braille battery series, only about 1/2 the cost.

Sounds great for my application. I am going to be using a trickle charger to maintain whichever battery I end up going with over the winter months.

Do you know if Deka makes a compact battery?

sr20s14zenki
05-23-2011, 06:03 PM
Its not actually 680 cold cranks, its 350 or 400 or some shit, i forget. It 680 PEAK, only sustained for 5 seconds or something. Its in the specs of the battery.

as hilarious as it is, if you want cheap, you can run the utility battery from canadian tires, its for lawn tractors. Get the 320 cca model. They are like 65$ haha. I got sick of them dying so i got my odyssey.