PDA

View Full Version : Lobsters are yummy!

TomcoPDR
05-22-2011, 04:01 AM
Went to a Chinese friend's place and they cooked up some lobsters on sale from Superstore, $6.99/each. (kinda small, but good price from what they're saying)

Sorry for phone pics.

It had diced garlic, sparkle of white pepper, salt/sugar, some seasoning, Chinese mafia cleaver knife down the body opened sideways straight to the crotch. Then oven baked till its brain matters turned to pudding.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/Past%20repairs/Random/lobster.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/Past%20repairs/Random/lobster2.jpg

Post some recipes, ideas, cooking methods... how many more ways do different cultures cook a lobster??? Black people? Brown people? I just remember an ex white gf's dad used to buy them frozen lobster tail on the grille, those were yummy, so's his little princess' tail.

Fed 3 people (plus they made rice, veggies, chicken with ginger/onion oil sauce)... And still a whole lot cheaper than buying lobster sub from Subway :whipped:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/224996/lobster-sub-subway-reviews-rants-comments/

lilmira
05-22-2011, 08:52 AM
Lobster is one of my favourite ugly sea creatures.

Oven baked with garlic, oven baked with creamy cheese, stir fried with ginger and scallion, use the head for lobster bisque, congee or lobster broth for all kinds of sauce. Yummy!

When preparing your lobster for whatever dish, make sure to release all the wonderful stuff through the anus by sticking something in it, chopstick works best.

I was told that the clear liquid that comes out when chopping the lobster open is the blood which carries a lot of flavour. I've never saved it so next time I'm going save the liquid to make broth or whatever.

Another ugly sea creature that I miss is the mantis shrimp. It takes some skill to remove the shell without cutting yourself.

chkolny541
05-22-2011, 08:59 AM
mmmmmmm, love lobster and crab. Tasty, but i dont have it often, couple times a year, $$$$$$$$. I need a good recipe mysel,f, we just soak it in garlic butter and salts

chathamf
05-22-2011, 01:18 PM
You guys are crazy. All ya gotta do with lobster is boil it and rip it a part and eat it man. That's the way people do it in the east where we catch it.

Take out the claws and tails and dip it in melted butter or vinegar. All ya need, shit is delicious as it is.

Unknown303
05-22-2011, 01:25 PM
Yeah boil in salt water and eat that bastard. That should be all you do to them.

Any about the size, Medium to small lobsters usually have the better taste despite obviously having less meat. You have to come to a happy medium there when picking them.

J-hop
05-22-2011, 01:29 PM
yea thats definitely a good price, I think the last time I ate lobster I paid around $25 at a restaurant for one of similar size (maybe a bit bigger hard to tell).

I always find it weird how much of a delicacy lobster has turned into, my dad grew up in Nova Scotia, and back when he was a kid, only poor people ate lobster!!!

ekguy
05-22-2011, 01:30 PM
boil it, dip in butter. nough said.

dj_rice
05-22-2011, 01:36 PM
Cut into pieces. Stir fry up in a wok with salt and pepper and throw in LKK black bean sauce and green onion. Toss it up and BAM serve on some rice.

LongCity
05-22-2011, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by J-hop
yea thats definitely a good price, I think the last time I ate lobster I paid around $25 at a restaurant for one of similar size (maybe a bit bigger hard to tell).

I always find it weird how much of a delicacy lobster has turned into, my dad grew up in Nova Scotia, and back when he was a kid, only poor people ate lobster!!!

That's like oysters! Used to be associated with being poor people food and now it's like $3/oyster!

TomcoPDR
05-22-2011, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by LongCity

That's like oysters! Used to be associated with being poor people food and now it's like $3/oyster!

Mmmmmmm oysters :drool:
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/Past%20repairs/Random/oystersed.jpg

InRich
05-22-2011, 04:05 PM
I know a place in Calgary, all you can eat sushi, and oysters, 28.99

rob the knob
05-22-2011, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by InRich

you going to share with beyond?

flipstah
05-22-2011, 06:20 PM

Is it that place on 16th? If so, pass. :barf:

Them lobsters look soo good... :drool:

The_Rural_Juror
05-22-2011, 06:31 PM
Can I just toss a lobster on the bbq real quick and close the lid? That's got to be as humane as dunking it in a pot of boiling water.

ExtraSlow
05-22-2011, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by J-hop
Originally posted by LongCity
That's like oysters! Used to be associated with being poor people food and now it's like $3/oyster! Yeah, My Father-in-law used to eat lobster sandwiches at school, and the other kids made fun of him. he wasn't rich enough to afford bologna.

Myself, I don't like the sea-bugs. I prefer fish. Or land meat.

B20EF
05-22-2011, 08:20 PM
I only boil if I use th sea water where the bug came from. Otherwise steamit, just an inch of water in the bottom of the pot. 12 minute steam roughly.

I just mash up fresh garlic, mix with butter and use that for dipping.

I use to get from T&T but i prefer Boyds lobster shop - 1511 14th st sw. Pretty much same price but the quality is always excellent.

winson2001
05-23-2011, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by rob the knob

you going to share with beyond?

sushi kai at 14st n about 8 ave NW, kai has 2 locations the one in china town dont offer all u can eat. been there a few times, best all you can eat sushi i'd say... but then it still all u can eat class.... if you go on the weekends (not 100% sure what days of the week) they offer all you can eat toro... the first time i went toro was super good.. the next 2 times i went... not so..... so try your luck.

Also, I'd go to Big Fish on edmonton tr n 11 ave N for oysters, monday is half price day.... i think $30 for 2 dozens better then embaccadaro(cant spell that name lol) imo

rage2
05-23-2011, 06:19 AM
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/226761_10150598744380640_899405639_18519797_2505094_n.jpg

BBQ Lobster tail, shrimp pasta, shrimp skewers. So fucking tasty!

Neil4Speed
05-23-2011, 11:44 AM
I'm not huge on lobster, I think its pretty overratted. Nothing much better than Jumbo Butterfly shrimp.

InRich
05-23-2011, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by winson2001

sushi kai at 14st n about 8 ave NW, kai has 2 locations the one in china town dont offer all u can eat. been there a few times, best all you can eat sushi i'd say... but then it still all u can eat class.... if you go on the weekends (not 100% sure what days of the week) they offer all you can eat toro... the first time i went toro was super good.. the next 2 times i went... not so..... so try your luck.

Also, I'd go to Big Fish on edmonton tr n 11 ave N for oysters, monday is half price day.... i think $30 for 2 dozens better then embaccadaro(cant spell that name lol) imo

thats the place...
both times I went it was really good.

Crks&Cstls
05-23-2011, 12:19 PM
I have family in cape sable island who are fish mongers (lol wierd name) But once a year my family orders lobster from them. They are put on a air plane sat morning and we get them sat evening. Still alive =) you cant get any fresher then that around here. We just ordered over 200 and will be getting them this saturday, unfortunately they are all spoken for :D

clem24
05-24-2011, 10:53 AM

thats the place...
both times I went it was really good.

Sushi Kai? The AYCE was fucking disgusting - very typical of AYCE sushi. They also played the typical AYCE games as well (i.e. dropping orders). I had high hopes for this place, but I am definitely done with AYCE in Calgary.

Back on topic, lobsters are awesome! When I was in NS, we visited a restaurant where you picked one from the tank and they steam it for you. I picked a 5 pounder. It was fucking wicked!!! Poor guy.. I think lobsters grow 1 lb for every 7 years or something. But whatever. If I wasn't going to eat him, someone else would've hehehe.

For something different, try the lobster sashimi meal from Yamato across from Churchill. Most of their sushi sucks, but they're the only place I know of that serves fresh lobster sashimi (just make sure to call ahead).

Another favorite of mine: live king crab. It's expensive as hell (about $120 for a crab) but holy shit.. It tastes like nothing else. The frozen pre-cooked king crab that usually sells for $20/lb doesn't even come close.

BTW Tom the small lobsters (under 1lb) are called canners. They're usually brought in by the tons for Mother's Day. That when you usually see them in stores.

InRich
05-24-2011, 11:12 AM
Dude.... dont dis sushi ichiban. the AYCE there is ALWAYS good! but yea Sushi Kai isn't the best AYCE for sure. I just went there for the oysters.

bignerd
05-24-2011, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by rage2
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/226761_10150598744380640_899405639_18519797_2505094_n.jpg

BBQ Lobster tail, shrimp pasta, shrimp skewers. So fucking tasty!

Can't tell if you baked or boiled your tails, if you baked them, you can pull the meat out on top of the shell and then the tail doesn't curl(looks like you already cut along the top of the shell, that is all I do, pull the meat up and remove the poop vein and then bake and it turns out looking just like the Keg).

rage2
05-24-2011, 03:55 PM
I think it was BBQ'd. I believe kenny was the executive chef that night.

TomcoPDR
05-24-2011, 06:10 PM
Dude.... dont dis sushi ichiban.

If you're doing AYCE in that area, I'd rather go with Korean grille, that Souel place by World Health.

max_boost
05-24-2011, 07:39 PM
AYCE sushi isn't good sushi....just saying lol not hating.

Going to hit Vero tonight for some seafood, can't wait. :drool:

Xtrema
05-24-2011, 07:44 PM
I gave up AYCE sushi. They just fill u p with rice.

legendboy
05-24-2011, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

Going to hit Vero tonight for some seafood, can't wait. :drool:

how was it? what did u have?

sillysod
05-24-2011, 10:07 PM
I buy lobsters every couple months. Always cook them the same way.

1st. boil them in salt water for 2 - 3 minutes
2nd. pull them out and then chop them in 1/2 right down the middle.
3rd. throw them on the charcoal grill

done. always come out awesome.

Sometimes I just cut them in half live and cook them on the grill, but they seem to taste better boiled in salt water. The weber charcoal is 10x better then cooking it on the gas grill too.

*** note for 1st time lobster cookers: put them in the freezer for about 20 min before throwing them in the pot, chopping them in half etc. They are cold blooded and get super slow and sleepy - keeps the thrashing to a min, especially if you are doing the live cut.

http://69.49.175.232/dave2/images/kingsford/lobster_small.jpg

http://www.lobsterhelp.com/img/grilled-lobster.jpg