PDA

View Full Version : chem353 and chem355 @UofC

tbomb
05-22-2011, 05:30 PM
Since I'am currently stuck in a Chemistry program, I wont be able to enrol in Chem353(Organic ChemistryII) for winter 2012. Instead I'll have to enrol in chem355, which is Organic Chemistry II (for Chemists).

I was wondering if taking this organic chemistry class would clutter my chances for doing well on the MCAT, and to major in biochemistry; as Biological Sciences: biochemistry, requires Chem353.

Has anyone been through this?

Note: I've tried to apply to biosci, but it looks like its too late.

Thanks,

Tbomb

Affinityion
05-22-2011, 09:17 PM
Depends on how well you memorize and apply concepts, as well as who is teaching. It is similar to 353 in terms of content, you become familiar with many of the common synthesis conditions and reagents for organic chemistry. In 355 you go more indepth and learn a few more reactions. It is a more difficult course in general compared to 353.

As to whether or not it will affect your MCATs, that's completely subjective...you will learn what you need but further to that I can't say. It won't affect you if you decide to switch to Bio/Biochemistry as it technically is an equivalent, Enrollment shouldn't have a problem with that if you talk to them.

WithTheLightsOn
05-22-2011, 10:31 PM
I don't think that should be a problem, really. If you take CHEM 355 and then transfer to Biochem, they'll most likely take it as equivalent to CHEM 353, since they probably cover almost the same topics and are anti-requisites, so you wouldn't be able to take CHEM 353 anyway. They're doing that for me now that I'm transferring from physics to engineering. I took PHYS 255, E&M for physics majors, and they're taking it instead of PHYS 259, which is E&M for engineering majors. Of course, they are different departments, so my advice is that you should go talk to the undergraduate advisers from the biology and chemistry departments and set a plan with them.

BTW, why would it be too late to transfer? Isn't the first year in same for both bio and chem?

veyron
06-11-2011, 11:07 PM
Why don't you take biosci courses (meaning mostly biology and fundamental science courses that med schools require), and transfer next year.