PDA

View Full Version : G35 Owners Chime In Please

happy tree
05-22-2011, 06:34 PM
Thinking of buying one of these, what experiences have you had good or bad, thanks.

BrownTown
05-22-2011, 07:23 PM
Used to have a g35 sedan.....great car. Mine was AWD and handled very well in winter. Car was very reliable...never had any major problems

happy tree
05-22-2011, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the info, any coupe owners out there.

shakalaka
05-22-2011, 07:53 PM
What kind of information are you looking for? They are fun cars, very nice to drive. A lot of friends have one and I like them. My z is more or less the same. Interior is nice depending on the version you get. Performance varies depending on the engine type (DE or HR). 'Quick'ish' for what they are, look decent enough and fairly reliable. Gives you the both of a little luxury and sporty feeling.

M.alex
05-22-2011, 08:24 PM
Had a g35 coupe - it's an okay-ish car but it doesn't really excel anywhere - doesn't have exceptional power, handling, response to mods, insurance costs, fuel costs, repair costs, etc...

happy tree
05-22-2011, 08:29 PM
Just looking for overall owner satisfaction, how well the car holds up over time.

Modelexis
05-22-2011, 09:06 PM
Almost every 5th car in Calgary is a G35, and I've never seen one broken down.

If you see a lot of a car, that usually doesn't mean it's known for breaking down.

Seems like a great car as far as reliability is concerned, although I'm not an owner.

AE92_TreunoSC
05-22-2011, 10:47 PM
Window regulators $$

Window motors $$

Door lock actuators $

HVAC controls $$$$

Injector failures $

Coil pack failures $

Mass air flow meter $$

Try to go 2005+

Most of the 2003/4's I see are riddled with expensive problems after 100,000kms

crapstixs
05-23-2011, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
Window regulators $$

Window motors $$

Door lock actuators $

HVAC controls $$$$

Injector failures $

Coil pack failures $

Mass air flow meter $$

Try to go 2005+

Most of the 2003/4's I see are riddled with expensive problems after 100,000kms

the good old coil pack failer.
you have one coil pack fail, nissan recomends to replace all 6. then nissan learns how to use a scope and says oops our bad after 1000's of owners spend huge money replacing all 6.

msommers
05-23-2011, 02:24 AM
Overall it's decent. It's a pig on premium gas and can handle heavy if thrown in the corners. It can burn oil on many yeats, mostly rev-up but you can maintain it fine if you have half a brain. The refinement is great and I love sitting in it. It has it's downsides but personally feel the upsides out weight them - it's just a fun car to drive!

Orbie
05-23-2011, 12:25 PM
Had a coupe way back 7 years ago or so. It was a fun car at the time, this was when Infiniti was making a come back in NA and the G35's were leading that drive. Bang for your buck was great back then, (top line non-M E46's were only kicking out 230hp). The design stood out back then and the exhaust note still is fantastic, so I remember it being a really fun car to drive around.

There were several problems I remember:
1. Infiniti was basically re-launching itself to be able to offer the bang for your buck they were, they had to cut costs in some areas and the biggest area was the interior. It was very low grade compared to other entry level luxury cars. I remember some of the cheap plastics over time would scratch badly and the leather did not wear very well. This improved alot with the G37's IMO.

2. Brake dust was horrific and the thing went through brakes like no tomorrow, they also squealed horribly. I heard brake dust is pretty bad on BMW's too so maybe that's normal, but at the time people were replacing brakes every year. It got so bad that I remember Infiniti offered some type of revised brake service warranty period. So my advice would be to immediately switch away to aftermarket pads and rotors if you get one.

3. I had several annoying mechanical problems. First was the window motors seem to go out often. Some people were saying it's because the frameless windows could get frozen and wear out the motors when you open the doors. Who knows, I got mine replaced twice. Not cool when you find out when pulling up to a parkade to pull a ticket or scan an entry card. The second was the worst, it was some type of limp mode the car would get into occasionally. You would start it up and get a CEL and the revs would just bounce up and down and you couldn't move past 10km/h. You had to restart the car over and over until it went away. Got the problem fixed under warranty, but I can't recall it if was the coil packs, MAF or something else.

If you do get one I would recommend 05+ only, or get a used G37.

happy tree
05-23-2011, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the replies, seems like a decent car. A nice cheap alternative to an m3.

schocker
05-23-2011, 10:32 PM
i have an 04 coupe, but have not had any problems with it and it is at about 73k. Regular maintenance and what not has all be done. As others have said though, the interior could be better which was addressed in 05, but overall it is a good package. With the break dust though I had tons on the brembo pads but switched to hawk's and have never had any dust with them while they still bite as hard as the brembos. I like the car enough thought that I am looking to get a g37.

afif
05-23-2011, 11:57 PM
Beautiful car. Mine just hit 100,000 had spark plugs changed and a bunch of other fluids and that is it! Pretty fast as well if you treat it well. Not a single problem.

Xtrema
05-24-2011, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Orbie
2. Brake dust was horrific and the thing went through brakes like no tomorrow, they also squealed horribly. I heard brake dust is pretty bad on BMW's too so maybe that's normal, but at the time people were replacing brakes every year. It got so bad that I remember Infiniti offered some type of revised brake service warranty period. So my advice would be to immediately switch away to aftermarket pads and rotors if you get one.

Typical European. Both my and my friend's 335 has tons of dust. Almost everyone looks for pads with less dust as soon as the 1st set is gone.

Performance brakes tends to squeal in cold temperature. You'll be fine once they are warmed up.

Never a big fan of G35. G37 is better, especially at being a luxury car.

black300
05-25-2011, 06:11 PM
I have a G35 Coupe with Brembo's 03 so it's a 6 speed manual, love the car! Great performance, exhaust is awesome, interior is fully loaded I mean you get all the basics and whatever you could get in those years as options. Handling is absolutley amazing, not to bad in winters if you have winter tires on. Bose Stereo system, can't go wrong. Brakes are quite dusty, but the brembo's are amazing. Make sure you get manual don't get the automatic. I love my g35

Kardon
05-25-2011, 08:51 PM
I really haven't had any problems with my 04 G35 6MT Sedan, biggest downside would be how many other g35's are on the road. On the plus side it seems to have a strong driveline, and the engine is peppy enough for a na car. Tranny shifts pretty nice, the car actually handles pretty well, and feels very stable on rough roads.