PDA

View Full Version : Review: Sushi Hibiki

winson2001
05-23-2011, 01:49 AM
For sure not the best in town, but in a (quality of food)/(money spend) way.... definitely good, place is so dead for I dont why... but Its decent enough to worth mention here imo, its at where the ramen shop used to be in bridgeland. I have to say the selection is very limited, but the whole menu is worth a try. Their udon is not quite as good as shikiji on center n 14 ave N but then your only paying 2/3 of their price. their sushi is pretty good, sushi rice tasted different then any other place in town in a good way. Me n wife goes, pays about $55 w/ tip n no drinks, wife had udon n a bit of sushi, i had a sushi deluxe plus a few picks on the sushi list. Hate the see this place go down, so fellow beyonders give it a try when you have time n in the area, it wont disappoint.

- Sushi Hibiki
- 630 1st Ave NE, Calgary AB
(403) 264-1211
http://sushihibiki.com/
- Food rating 4/5
- Ambience 3/5
- Service 5/5

http://sushihibiki.com/

eblend
05-23-2011, 06:34 AM
Great place, been there a few times and food was fantstic. My wife actually used to work there as a Sushi chef about 3-4 years back. Japanese owned restaurant btw.

BokCh0y
05-23-2011, 12:22 PM
Been there multiple times. Wife and I both like this place a lot.

Food is not the typical sushi style. The owner/sushi chef told me he was from a different part of japan, so he utilizies some different items in sushi ie. creamcheese.

Anyways, I've been there for lunch an dinner and i really like the place. Food is great and service is great too.

OP, did you try his rolls? That's where the good stuff is at. The Hibiki Roll is my favorite!!!

In terms of quietness, it depends. I've been there for lunch where it was packed, and I've been there for dinner and had to wait. Other times (mainly weeknights) dinner time isn't as busy on Friday or Saturday, but still alright though.

I would give the food 5/5.

And like eblend said, Authentic Japanese owned and operated.

winson2001
05-23-2011, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by BokCh0y

OP, did you try his rolls? That's where the good stuff is at. The Hibiki Roll is my favorite!!!

Thank you, I'll try that next time ^^

max_boost
05-23-2011, 04:01 PM
Interesting. I've been curious about this place but never been. Going to give it a shot next week.

BokCh0y
05-23-2011, 07:56 PM
Hibiki Roll, House Special Roll, actually i like most of the rolls..mmm yum.

ALso when you walk in, look at the flip chart thing and see what they have for specials.

TomcoPDR
05-23-2011, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Interesting. I've been curious about this place but never been. Going to give it a shot next week.

Who u gonna go with.

eblend
05-24-2011, 06:45 AM
My wife also mentioned that officials and diplomats from Japan dine there often when they are in town.....for what its worth.

bignerd
05-24-2011, 03:20 PM
I don't think that cream cheese is all that unique or Japanese for that matter...
My brother was visiting from Japan and said a lot of sushi here was bastardized and you would never see that stuff in Japan-and we didn't. It was very straight forward sushi when we were there, there was a large variety of fish and seafood but not all the rolls mixed with mayonnaise and avocado and rainbow rolls etc. Was mostly nigiri and sashimi and everything was raw, no tempura or smoked fish, even Ebi seemed hard to find.

The entire time we were there we also NEVER saw edamame in any restaurant for sale.

holden
05-24-2011, 03:22 PM
The whole elaborate sushi roll is very much a Western thing.

winson2001
06-05-2011, 12:04 AM
Hibiki roll is awesome ^^ a bit too spicy for me as I dont eat spicy at all

BokCh0y
06-05-2011, 12:41 AM
glad you tried that roll...yum yum. May have to go there tomorrow for dinner now hehehe.

npham
06-16-2011, 09:53 PM
After trying to figure out where to eat tonight, we decide to give this place a shot. Boy were we in for a rude awakening. The OP is way off about this place. In terms of value, this place is terrible(~$50 no alcohol). We got Japanese(instead of Hibiki) Agedashi tofu, 4 pieces of sushi(Sake, and Unagi), Tempura Udon, a Spicy Tuna, Dynamite and an Alaska roll.

- The tempura batter they use is not good. There is not enough batter on the tofu, so the ratio is quite off. Too much tofu to batter. Batter was also not light, crispy and tasty, but heavy, bland and soggy.
- Udon noodles were ok, but a little soggy/spongy. The broth was good; it was best part of the noodles/soup. Again the tempura batter was not good, so the prawns, green bean, yam, red pepper and zucchini were sub par. Vegetables did seem fresh.
- Rolls were average at best. They were not very large, nor did they have a lot of fish, veggies, etc. Rice was too warm and just a little off.
- Nigiri/Sushi was ok, but we asked for wasabi on the side and the server re-assured us that they don't have any with their sushi. Sure enough it comes back with copious amounts which I had to pick off the rice for my date.

So here are my ratings:

- Value 2/5
- Food rating 2/5
- Ambiance 3/5
- Service 4/5

I'm rating this low on value and food because there are so many better places nearby, thus why this place is empty. Zipang, Shikiji and Wai's are not that far away and miles and miles better. Ambiance was ok, pretty empty, but nothing special. Super shady Natives drinking and hanging outside the strip mall didn't help either. Service was the bright spot, he was attentive and checked up on us often. Seemed like genuinely nice people, but I'd never go back to this place.

xxxazntigerxx
06-17-2011, 06:54 AM
^ i agree with him. i tried it the other day and the food was not good and half the time they didnt even know what i was sayin.

winson2001
06-17-2011, 05:23 PM
>_< sorry for you bad exp... but price is not really that bad.... vs i avg about $80/person no drinks at zipang

npham
06-17-2011, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by winson2001
&gt;_&lt; sorry for you bad exp... but price is not really that bad.... vs i avg about $80/person no drinks at zipang

I probably average about that much as well at Zipang, but Shikiji and Wai's are more comparable and still a lot better.

polarice
06-17-2011, 08:42 PM
Is there a lot of veggie roll variations there?

We were going to go there thursday night but wound up at Zipang instead. However, our bill was only ~$60 for three people, no drinks.

npham
07-08-2011, 07:00 PM
Not really, their roll selection is very tame and the typical rolls you would see at any sushi joint. Zipang ftw.