PDA

View Full Version : Premium engine filled with regular gas

Aniki
05-23-2011, 04:55 PM
My girlfriend had no other choice on her way home on a road trip to fill our Acura RDX with regular gas. There is about a quarter tank left in the vehicle, what do i do? How much damage is this going to cause the engine?

thanks in advance.

Tik-Tok
05-23-2011, 04:57 PM
Not much, if anything at all. The ECU would have compensated for the lower octane. If you kept running reg. for years, it would probably do something, but one tank won't hurt it.

Just keep filling it with 91 now... or if you're really paranoid, fill the rest of the tank with Husky 94, so it evens out what's left in the tank.

Aniki
05-23-2011, 05:02 PM
I put Shell v-power into my cars, should i wait for the tank to get closer to empty then fill it up? or will it not make a difference if I fill it up now and mix the two types of fuel?

You can tell I'm a paranoid person lol. Thanks for the help.

rp_guy
05-23-2011, 05:04 PM
throw this in the tank.. or any equivalent. don't bother mixing fuel to even it out because it won't even out

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/3/AutoFluidsChemicals/FuelTreatments/PRD~0380791P/STP%252BOctane%252BBooster.jsp?locale=en

msommers
05-23-2011, 05:26 PM
You'll be perfectly fine. I personally wouldn't put in octane booster. Just fill up per usual with premium the next chance you get. Don't sweat it man, the ECUs are very good these days for that exact reason.

RickDaTuner
05-23-2011, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by rp_guy
throw this in the tank.. or any equivalent. don't bother mixing fuel to even it out because it won't even out

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/3/AutoFluidsChemicals/FuelTreatments/PRD~0380791P/STP%252BOctane%252BBooster.jsp?locale=en

Fill the rest the tank with the regular premium fuel you would normally use, and then just go back to your normal routine.

Don't use that octane booster junk, it only raises the octane rating by .25 of a point, and even then its basically just nail polish remover.

You have not done any damage to your car, and everything will return to normal once you fill again with premium

just fill the rest of your tank with 91 or 94 as was suggested

91 + 87 / 2 = 89 which is mid grade. if your using husly 94 the it comes out to 90.5 which is close enough to premium.

These are rough numbers though because it matters what additive the gas company uses to raise their octane and how they mix with each other.

J-hop
05-23-2011, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by rp_guy

to be honest I wouldn't even bother with that crap, you'll maybe get a few octane points out of that (when they say "increases octane up to 10 points" that doesn't mean 87 to 97, it means 87 to 88 and claiming you can get up to a 10 point increase is a pipe dream anyways). I remember watching a vid where they tested it and the octane increase was barely measurable on a full tank. Might be slightly more effective on a 1/4 but honestly just throw premium in next time and move on, anti-knock systems have been around for several decades, the latest ones are very effective so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

tobypaddock
05-23-2011, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Aniki
My girlfriend...(blah blah blah) what do i do?

I'd probably just make her detail and wax the car and demand a couple dozen BJ's this week for her actions, what she did was completely unacceptable and must be dealt with swiftly

ryanallan
05-23-2011, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by tobypaddock

I'd probably just make her detail and wax the car and demand a couple dozen BJ's this week for her actions, what she did was completely unacceptable and must be dealt with swiftly
fantastic idea :thumbsup:

BokCh0y
05-23-2011, 07:43 PM
It won't do any damage wahtsoever. Not on one tank of gas. You'll be fine.

Aniki
05-23-2011, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the help.

I'll tell her she majorly screwed up and make my demands :thumbsup:

sillysod
05-23-2011, 08:47 PM

hahahaha....

Definitely not an issue to run the odd tank of 87 in a stock car.

I was up at Diavik diamond mines a long time ago and they accidiently mixed up the pumps and I ran 87 through my diesel truck. Dragged it to the heavy duty mechanics shop there and after it thawed out the mechanic just added about 20L of 15w40 oil to the tank and said I'd be fine - that was 300,000kms ago on that truck.

chkolny541
05-24-2011, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by sillysod

I was up at Diavik diamond mines a long time ago and they accidiently mixed up the pumps and I ran 87 through my diesel truck. Dragged it to the heavy duty mechanics shop there and after it thawed out the mechanic just added about 20L of 15w40 oil to the tank and said I'd be fine - that was 300,000kms ago on that truck.
whaaa!? seriously? hahah
this has happened a few times at my old job, with ppl putting in regular into a diesel truck and they always have had to fully drain the tanks and then refuel properly

RickDaTuner
05-24-2011, 06:54 AM
You can get away with this on older trucks, but anything new with emissions stuff like, EGRs, EGCs, Particulate Filters, and Regenerators is a big No, No.

When oil burns is leaves behind coke, Ash, and heavy amounts of carbon, all of which kill, and clog those components, some of which are buried deep in the engine under charge pipes, turbos, coolant lines and radiators...

Its still good if you have no other choice.

sillysod
05-24-2011, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
You can get away with this on older trucks, but anything new with emissions stuff like, EGRs, EGCs, Particulate Filters, and Regenerators is a big No, No.

When oil burns is leaves behind coke, Ash, and heavy amounts of carbon, all of which kill, and clog those components, some of which are buried deep in the engine under charge pipes, turbos, coolant lines and radiators...

Its still good if you have no other choice.

yup. it's the 6.9L that doesn't need anything but injector pump power to run. No sensors at all on them.

clem24
05-24-2011, 11:22 AM
Hahaha yeah I did this one time with my MR2 (shhhh don't tell tik tok). Wasn't paying attention and threw in regular. It'll be fine. If you want to feel really secure, just look in your manual. It'll likely state you can use 89 once in a while if premium isn't available.

bituerbo
05-25-2011, 10:06 AM
Go top up with Husky 94

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2316/octane.png