PDA

View Full Version : Lien on car..lol

Kittens11
05-23-2011, 10:23 PM
http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2005-Chevrolet-Cobalt-SS-Supercharged-W0QQAdIdZ284557775

Just came across this..kind made me laugh. How do people get them selves in these situations "i don't know what a lien is".

Edit: Read add again and it makes sense, my bad.

ddduke
05-23-2011, 10:29 PM
Saw this too, can someone please get in contact with this fool and explain to him that he's a moron for buying it in the first place and try to get some background info. I'm actually curious how much the lien is for and how much he expects to actually sell it for with a lien on it.

Vagabond142
05-23-2011, 10:33 PM
From reading the ad... it seems that he knows what a lien is...

Unless you're talking about the original owner, that this person bought the car from?

J-hop
05-23-2011, 10:33 PM
haha, what is with the "...with the intent of pulling the engine and putting it in my SS", uhhh ok. That is one confused individual!!

TomcoPDR
05-23-2011, 10:34 PM
It doesn't fully give the impression that he didn't know there's a lien before he purchased it... I read it as HE has a lien on a car he bought :dunno: and asking the reader to look into his lien before buying (pretty much he's saying buyer beware)

mowglee
05-23-2011, 10:35 PM
curber?

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-PostersOtherAds-W0QQUserIdZ59736820

Vagabond142
05-23-2011, 10:35 PM
I bought this car from the original owner with the intent of pulling the engine and putting it in my SS but I have found a fully built engine I am going to use instead

There is a lien on the car. Not sure how much or why, but there is one. If you are not sure what a lien is... please do not message me

I read that as: "I bought this car knowing it had a lien on it. I was going to use the engine from it but now I don't need to, so it's up for sale. If you don't know what a lien is, don't bid"

:dunno:

baygirl
05-23-2011, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond142

I read that as: "I bought this car knowing it had a lien on it. I was going to use the engine from it but now I don't need to, so it's up for sale. If you don't know what a lien is, don't bid"

:dunno:
X2
I thought it was pretty clear.

Kittens11
05-23-2011, 11:00 PM
Now that i have reread the add it makes sense. Still curious does the lean have to be paid of before the title can be transferred?

shakalaka
05-23-2011, 11:45 PM
Title's can be transferred even with a lien. The bank or whoever loaned the money on the car will go after who ever is on the title. They are only concerned with their money and not who gives it to them.

derpderp
05-24-2011, 02:04 AM
The way it looks to me, he is implying its a parts car.

Maxx Mazda
05-24-2011, 08:45 AM
Jesus... I would NEVER buy a car with a lien on it.

Xtrema
05-24-2011, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
Jesus... I would NEVER buy a car with a lien on it.

I think "Not sure how much or why" kills the deal.

spikerS
05-24-2011, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by derpderp
The way it looks to me, he is implying its a parts car.

That is basically the only option, unless you are willing to pay off the lien. Because once you register the car in your name, which you are able to do legally, the lien holder now knows where the car is to go get it. They come reposes the car, and you are out the cash you paid for it.

The real question someone should be asking this guy is, how much the lien is for, and if someone wants to screw the guy over, notify the lien holder and they can go reposes the car...

spikerS
05-24-2011, 09:57 AM
well, I emailed the guy, if someone wants to check the lien on the car, here is the VIN on it.

1G1AP12P457654653

J-hop
05-24-2011, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by spikers

That is basically the only option, unless you are willing to pay off the lien. Because once you register the car in your name, which you are able to do legally, the lien holder now knows where the car is to go get it. They come reposes the car, and you are out the cash you paid for it.

The real question someone should be asking this guy is, how much the lien is for, and if someone wants to screw the guy over, notify the lien holder and they can go reposes the car...

I guess that leaves only one major inconsistency. The guy states he has no idea how much the lien is for. Who in their right mind would ever purchase a car with a lien on it without knowing how much that lien is for. That just seems like hes asking for trouble. And on that same note, I would think that unless he was marketing it strictly as a parts car (which he doesn't seem to be) the selling price would be completely dictated by the remaining amount on the lien thus the seller should really know something like that (what if the lien was near the value of the car, the seller would have to give away the car unless he trapped some ignorant fool)

Maybe he is BSing about not knowing and the lien is large because it seems to me that you would be better off buying the car for super cheap and paying off the lien than buying the car and swapping the SC engine to another SS :rolleyes:

BTW how the hell would someone end up with a lien on a 2005 cobalt, not like payments on something like that would be very big......

spikerS
05-24-2011, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by J-hop

I guess that leaves only one major inconsistency. The guy states he has no idea how much the lien is for. Who in their right mind would ever purchase a car with a lien on it without knowing how much that lien is for. That just seems like hes asking for trouble. And on that same note, I would think that unless he was marketing it strictly as a parts car (which he doesn't seem to be) the selling price would be completely dictated by the remaining amount on the lien thus the seller should really know something like that (what if the lien was near the value of the car, the seller would have to give away the car unless he trapped some ignorant fool)

Maybe he is BSing about not knowing and the lien is large because it seems to me that you would be better off buying the car for super cheap and paying off the lien than buying the car and swapping the SC engine to another SS :rolleyes:

BTW how the hell would someone end up with a lien on a 2005 cobalt, not like payments on something like that would be very big......

Well, if you have no morals, there are a couple options. If I was a mechanic, and a customer needed their car fixed, and i could make the engine in that cobalt work, I might buy it as a parts car. The lien holder would never find it if it was never registered again. the other option would be to grab a VIN tag off of another black cobalt and put it on this car.

This car sale is meant for the slime bags, and that is what this guy is hoping to attract, or the utterly stupid person that thinks that they buy the car, it is theirs, regardless of the lien, and will be in a big surprise, and then post on beyond asking for help.

Weapon_R
05-24-2011, 10:54 AM
This guy wants you to buy a $4000 cobalt and part it. He's not an idiot, he's a scumbag. He knows that the car is worthless unless someone is going to take it for parts and throw out the rest. That's why he's selling it for $4k. His intention is to attract someone who needs the drivetrain - the rest of the car is a bonus at that price.

Meback
05-24-2011, 05:13 PM
Ran history. Nothing on it regarding the amount of the lien. It does however show that the car ended up at an auto auction. Possibly bank repo-ed.

forced_eg
05-24-2011, 09:00 PM
another reason he is a slimeball is because he states that you CAN register the car... but doesnt state that only after this lein is payed off, you would have to attempt to register it to find out how much the lein is for.

BrknFngrs
05-24-2011, 09:05 PM
Edit: Made post more useful.

This is clearly a sketch situation but in general terms; I never really understand the fear of liens on vehicles. It's not an issue in the least as long as you structure the purchase to be contingent on receipt of the release letter from the lender and take the necessary precautions.

And yes you can register a vehicle with a lien on it.

ddduke
05-24-2011, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs
Man there is a lot of misinformation about liens in this thread...

sweet bro, you going to clarify what it is?

BrknFngrs
05-24-2011, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by ddduke

sweet bro, you going to clarify what it is?

Realized after the fact that my post was utterly useless, fixed haha

shakalaka
05-24-2011, 09:58 PM
My Z had a lien on it because of the previous owner. He consolidated his debts and what not and ended up putting it all on the car, worth around $18K. I handed him the bank draft for the purchase price in the bank, which he then handed to his account manager, who in turn handed me a letter saying the vehicle is free of any liens it used to have. Done and done.