PDA

View Full Version : Can employers record your conversations on work cells?

Super_Geo
05-24-2011, 02:01 PM
I'm sure they store and can use your texts from work cells, but what about conversations?

Troll-ol
05-24-2011, 02:12 PM
Can they record? (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=can+employers+record+your+conversations%3F)

rage2
05-24-2011, 02:27 PM
Yes. Best thing to do is to check your employment agreement, it should be stated in there if they do record conversations.

JRSC00LUDE
05-24-2011, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Troll-ol
Can they record? (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=can+employers+record+your+conversations%3F)

You're a cunt. :)

Feruk
05-24-2011, 02:49 PM
Yep. Better question, why care?

Troll-ol
05-24-2011, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Feruk
Yep. Better question, why care? Don't they have to at least tell you, that they're recording?

FraserB
05-24-2011, 03:25 PM
As long as one party agrees to the recording, its legal.

SJW
05-24-2011, 03:25 PM
Holy fuck I wish mine were recorded.

There'd be some LOL's to be had.

Ergo-Sun-Tzu
05-24-2011, 03:54 PM
LOL (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=LOL)

JfuckinC
05-24-2011, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by SJW
Holy fuck I wish mine were recorded.

There'd be some LOL's to be had.

i honestly hope IT reads some of my emails :rofl:

Xtrema
05-24-2011, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Troll-ol
Don't they have to at least tell you, that they're recording?

It's in your employment agreement. Usually under IT policy.

Whatever handbook they handed to you when you started, read it front to back. If it's in there, you're bind to them for the duration of the employment.

topmade
05-24-2011, 04:44 PM
Yes they can. It's usually stated in the employment agreement form that nobody reads. I worked with a guy who got canned because he did a phone interview while working. He knew it was being recorded but said F-it and just did it because he had no other phone to use at that time and was on the way out anyways.

Grogador
05-24-2011, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by topmade
I worked with a guy who got canned because he did a phone interview while working.

Definitely poor taste but how is that cannable?

dirtsniffer
05-24-2011, 10:55 PM
time theft

bituerbo
05-24-2011, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Grogador

Seriously, that would not make it through Employment Standards... That's likely just a lie he tells people.

Weapon_R
05-24-2011, 11:34 PM
Their equipment, their rules.

riceboi
05-25-2011, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by topmade
Yes they can. It's usually stated in the employment agreement form that nobody reads. I worked with a guy who got canned because he did a phone interview while working. He knew it was being recorded but said F-it and just did it because he had no other phone to use at that time and was on the way out anyways.

I can see they monitor internet usage but highly doubted if the conversations on cellphone are recorded. It's expensive and time wasting to implement and manage such measure. Besides, most work cells are contracted via Rogers/Telus/Bell which is not in their control. Does Rogers offer you a service feature on your personal cell that would record all your conversations? I think not. I can see the employer check detail billing info if they see high monthly charges or something along that line.

sabad66
05-25-2011, 07:53 PM
Assuming they are allowed, how would they do it? Do blackberries have a built in app that does it?

gstone
05-25-2011, 08:34 PM
Seeing as this thread has gone off the rails somewhat, let's switch to a different gauge. Can an employer demand random and/or pre-employment drug testing as a requirement for employment?

e31
05-25-2011, 09:33 PM
^ I hope that is a rhetorical question.

Anyway, I'm sure that there are provisions allowing for the recording of phone conversations in the workplace. Think telemarketing/customer service.

Like others have said, the logistics of recording a cell phone call are pretty extreme. In a corporate environment using an in house PBX you can do pretty much anything. I found it funny to remotely turn someones phone to auto-answer, then call up and start whispering stuff like "burn this place to the ground".

Always make sure to explain this trick afterward, because if you forget you can really screw some people up.

derpderp
05-25-2011, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Grogador

Canning (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canning)

Mar
05-25-2011, 10:26 PM
This is easy. Say whatever the hell you want and if you find out they're recording you, quit. Who the hell wants to work for someone that does that? I wouldn't.

Secondly, they can't record calls without running an application on the phone itself, they don't have any sort of remote recording. And these applications don't exist, I've looked very extensively (not without paying and a lot of fucking around).

Secondly, the texts no longer go through the system like they used to, you can't read them anymore so they can't see those neither. They used to be stored on mytelusmobility.com so anyone with access to the account could read them online. Plus when I worked at Telus we had a tool that could see any texts stuck in the system and we could flush them through with a priority message. It was funny when a girl would call in, you'd see she's 15 from the account information and the texts would be about sucking her boyfriend's dick. Girls sent sicker stuff than the guys.

culebra
05-26-2011, 11:15 AM
i'm not sure about the direct recording from the phone itself but it is possible to capture all the conversation through voip line. my current work built an application for insurance industry and it is capable to capture deskset or cellphone.

GQBalla
05-26-2011, 12:25 PM
Through Cisco IP phones it is recordable, i know that.

Via cell phones? if you have a smart phone there are apps that can record and send location via GPS without the user knowing.

If it is a blackberry and the company is using BES than the PINs can be audited

GQBalla
05-26-2011, 12:25 PM
*edit*
double post

Xtrema
05-26-2011, 12:36 PM
In my experience, a lot of handbook has rules that's pretty standard but hardly enforced.

They won't start enforcing (ie collect info) until they want to find excuses to fire you which means you don't bring enough to the table and is expendable anyway.

topmade
05-26-2011, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by riceboi

I can see they monitor internet usage but highly doubted if the conversations on cellphone are recorded. It's expensive and time wasting to implement and manage such measure. Besides, most work cells are contracted via Rogers/Telus/Bell which is not in their control. Does Rogers offer you a service feature on your personal cell that would record all your conversations? I think not. I can see the employer check detail billing info if they see high monthly charges or something along that line.
My bad guys, didn't realize this was for cells.

Phenix
05-26-2011, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
I'm sure they store and can use your texts from work cells, but what about conversations?

the better question is what stupid shit did you say on the company cell phone? you having fun with telemarketers again?