PDA

View Full Version : HID Bulbs.. Not a full HID kit. Need info

Shlade
05-24-2011, 05:51 PM
As title states.. Im ordering some Smoked headlights for my car and I have a feeling the stock bulbs wont cut it and wont be clear enough to drive at night.

I dont want to purchase a HID KIT as it would clutter my engine bay too much.

Ive read somewhere you could get 6000-8000K HIDBULBS

Who knows where I could get such a thing for decent cost?

TIA.

RNB11
05-24-2011, 05:57 PM
I think you are referring to 6000k-8000k halogen bulbs.

Shlade
05-24-2011, 06:02 PM
Word.

Thats what I meant lol

btimbit
05-24-2011, 06:02 PM
Those would not be brighter. 4100k ish is your best bet. Either get a full hid kit including projectors, or get silverstar ultra halogens.

RNB11
05-24-2011, 06:07 PM
http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/HighPerformance/SilverStarUltra/

They look good, quite pricy though for halogens.

canadian_hustla
05-24-2011, 06:08 PM
full HID kit from ddmtuning is like $50 + S/H

I have had mine for 2 years and they work just fine.

Can't really beat that price.

btimbit
05-24-2011, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by canadian_hustla
full HID kit from ddmtuning is like $50 + S/H

I have had mine for 2 years and they work just fine.

Can't really beat that price.

That's not a full kit, that's just bulbs and ballasts

sabad66
05-24-2011, 06:10 PM
Yeah the silverstar ultras are pretty expense (mine were around $60 for the pair), and they also don't last very long (maybe a year)... however they are definitely brighter than standard ones if that's what you're after.

Shlade
05-24-2011, 06:21 PM
Buying a plug and play kit off a buddy tomorrow. Hopefully I can do a semi decent install so the wires arent all over the damn place...

btimbit
05-24-2011, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Shlade
Buying a plug and play kit off a buddy tomorrow. Hopefully I can do a semi decent install so the wires arent all over the damn place...

Details on the kit? If it's 8000k or over it's not going to be any brighter, especially without proper projectors.

rob the knob
05-24-2011, 06:43 PM
are smoked headlights still cool or cool again or what?

stevieo
05-24-2011, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by rob the knob
ya almost as cool as running HIDs in halogen housing yeeeeeeeaaa son

Shlade
05-24-2011, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by rob the knob

when their on a car like mine Id say they look different. Nothing wrong with a blacked out Mustang ;)

J-hop
05-24-2011, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by RNB11
http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/HighPerformance/SilverStarUltra/

They look good, quite pricy though for halogens.

I run those, they are slightly better than the run of the mill halogen bulb, but don't buy them if you are expecting a night and day change in the output because you'll be severely disappointed.

if you end up going with an HID kit (which I highly discourage if you don't plan to run projectors) you'll want something in the 4100k for max output. As btimbit alluded to, higher kelvin definitely doesn't mean higher output. The brightest light is white light which sits somewhere in the color temp of 4000k.

btimbit
05-24-2011, 10:10 PM

when their on a car like mine Id say they look different. Nothing wrong with a blacked out Mustang ;)

With 'ricey' 8000k+ HIDs in the halogen housings, there is lots wrong with it.

Shlade
05-25-2011, 12:08 AM
It's all good bro ;) you worry about what's on your car. Not mine :)

Thanks for the help though guys. Found what I needed.

BlackFyre
05-25-2011, 12:30 AM

Word, don't know why people feel it necessary to state their biased opinions, while contributing no helpful information. Running HiD's in Halogen housings will absolutely give you brighter lights, as long as you stay below the 6000k range, in fact, I would recommend 6000k for what you're looking for.

It's true that HiD's in a halogen housing will scatter light instead of focusing, and are mildly annoying to motorists going the opposite way, but it's a MINOR annoyance compared to the other junk people do to their cars and drive them on public roads, not to mention the fashion in which they drive them. However, it will also most certainly increase your visibility, just make sure you aim your lights lower than factory, as a courtesy to other drivers, and look into projector housings, they are a HUGE improvement, in looks, in functionality, and in not annoying other people.

962 kid
05-25-2011, 01:10 AM

Why don't you worry about how slamming some pos 8000k HID bulbs in your stock housings will affect other drivers instead? Or I guess having super sick 1999 style smoked headlights is worth annoying/distracting the shit out of every motorist in front of you :) Our problem, right bro?

gyu
05-25-2011, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by stevieo

ya almost as cool as running HIDs in halogen housing yeeeeeeeaaa son
I've seen some cars pull it off very well, anyone else notice that or just me?

(And no, I do not have HIDs)

chkolny541
05-25-2011, 05:01 AM
the look of hids in stock housing is just laughable. Looks like trash, anything over 4000k is just doing nothing for increased light output

Scat E46
05-25-2011, 10:57 AM
so much fail in this thread.

Xtrema
05-25-2011, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by BlackFyre
but it's a MINOR annoyance compared to the other junk people do to their cars and drive them on public roads, not to mention the fashion in which they drive them.

MINOR as in driving with high beam all the time with 10x intensity?

effingidiot
05-25-2011, 12:38 PM
So... any word on when CPS is going to start handing out tickets for improper HID installations?

mycroftxxx
05-25-2011, 04:49 PM
you're fooling yourself if you think HID's in reflector halogen housings don't blind people.

the CATZ Zeta upgrade to your stock halogens is the easiest and safest way to get more REAL light output exactly where you need it.

I just ebayed some morimoto H1 projectors. they arrived a couple days ago, I can't wait to mod them into my housings.

do your HID installs properly or just don't do them at all.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270744588047&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

btimbit
05-25-2011, 05:01 PM
I know this is attractive for kids, they get to tell all your friends "Yo my lights are brighter than yours, other drivers keep flashing their lights at me dawg"

Basically, just don't be a douche.

You want a practical reason not to do it? It looks like crap. One of the trashiest things you can do to a car. Might as well buy some tint film from wal-mart while your at it.

See though, that's the thing. It's on your car, but it effects everyone you drive past.

Word, don't know why people feel it necessary to state their biased opinions, while contributing no helpful information. Running HiD's in Halogen housings will absolutely give you brighter lights, as long as you stay below the 6000k range, in fact, I would recommend 6000k for what you're looking for.

Biased? It's fact. Even WITH something close to 4100k in a halogen housing it's not going to give you any more visibility, and especially not where you need it. The light will be scattered all over the place, most importantly in the faces of oncoming drivers.

Here's an example. Look at all the glare this guy has

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pr6z_NDtlw&feature=related

That doesn't help you see anything.

Then watch this video, it should help you understand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVuSSdZNsZw&feature=related

And of course, if you want to bring the law into it;

(4) The light from a headlamp must be white, and the lens and bulb of the headlamp must be made of clear, untinted glazing.

luxor
05-25-2011, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

MINOR as in driving with high beam all the time with 10x intensity?

:werd:

Getting blinded by high beams/HIDS are NOT just a minor annoyance, its a MAJOR annoyance. In fact it is illegal to drive in the city with high beams. Now HIDs in halogen reflective housings are equivalent to driving with high beams all the time. Get where this is going?

gyu
05-25-2011, 09:05 PM
I think you guys are exaggerating the HIDs in halogen housing problem, most newer cars I find run them fine.
Trucks and older cars are the ones that seem to have really bad glare.

revelations
05-25-2011, 09:31 PM
OP, HIR bulbs might be your other idea.

http://hirheadlights.com/

Also, look at increasing the wattage of your existing halogens. Some housings and wiring can handle a slight bump in power.

Shlade
05-25-2011, 09:46 PM
lol Jesus.. Sorry I asked fellow keyboard warriors.

Leave it to Beyond to take a simple question and turn it into some bitchfest.

Thanks but I no longer need any help with this topic.

Good day.

btimbit
05-25-2011, 09:48 PM
^Actually pretty mild compared to most HID in Halogen housing threads:poosie:

phil98z24
05-26-2011, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by effingidiot
So... any word on when CPS is going to start handing out tickets for improper HID installations?

We already are.. I've started sending people away with vehicle equipment compliance orders that must be fulfilled within a required time period. And if the installation is so heinous that I deem it to be a public safety hazard, I will tow it from the roadway and send it for immediate repair.

There are far too many jacked up trucks sporting illegal HID installations that it's hard to keep up; but I'm trying to get them off the roads before anything else, as they tend to be the most dangerous and their owners, in my experiences, seem to know they can't have them and have a cavalier attitude towards other road users.

bspot
05-26-2011, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by phil98z24

We already are.. I've started sending people away with vehicle equipment compliance orders that must be fulfilled within a required time period. And if the installation is so heinous that I deem it to be a public safety hazard, I will tow it from the roadway and send it for immediate repair.

There are far too many jacked up trucks sporting illegal HID installations that it's hard to keep up; but I'm trying to get them off the roads before anything else, as they tend to be the most dangerous and their owners, in my experiences, seem to know they can't have them and have a cavalier attitude towards other road users.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Are the guys with super jacked trucks and non-conforming bumper heights getting nailed too?

Xtrema
05-26-2011, 11:52 AM
lol Jesus.. Sorry I asked fellow keyboard warriors.

Leave it to Beyond to take a simple question and turn it into some bitchfest.

Thanks but I no longer need any help with this topic.

Good day.

Not against mods but do it right, get the right housing for HID.

phil98z24
05-26-2011, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by bspot

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Are the guys with super jacked trucks and non-conforming bumper heights getting nailed too?

I'm working on the bumper thing, it's surprisingly difficult to nail down those regulations. Anything I can do on the jacked trucks, I am.. There seems to be a community culture of law flaunting to the detriment of everyone else.

J-hop
05-26-2011, 12:24 PM
and I'm sure if they start nailing lifted trucks for bumper regulations they'll start nailing lowered cars too. So be careful what you wish for. Not that I am in any way against cracking down on either group but I don't want to see a thread every few weeks about how "some jackass cop ticketed me for being too low, what a load of crap" which will most likely come from the same people supporting a crackdown on lifted trucks.

just look at all the stupid tint and loud exhaust threads that pop up from kids thinking they are above the law and no one else knows what they are talking about, you know its going to happen!!! in fact I think there was someone in the last few months that got a ticket because their slammed car was seen scraping pavement and they were awarded a ticket for it and came on here whining and complaining.

Guillermo
05-26-2011, 12:27 PM
i don't have a lowered car (or any illegal mods, for that matter), but MAN it's a bit creepy everytime I drive next to one of those jacked up trucks, because in many cases their bumpers are above my hood and they would slide right over top of me if they hit me.

my uncle once responded to an accident where a mother and 4 kids were in a car, and a jacked up truck went right over top of them, crushing and killing them all. he said is was the most disturbing accident he'd ever been on. :thumbsdow

bspot
05-26-2011, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by J-hop
and I'm sure if they start nailing lifted trucks for bumper regulations they'll start nailing lowered cars too. So be careful what you wish for. Not that I am in any way against cracking down on either group but I don't want to see a thread every few weeks about how "some jackass cop ticketed me for being too low, what a load of crap" which will most likely come from the same people supporting a crackdown on lifted trucks.

just look at all the stupid tint and loud exhaust threads that pop up from kids thinking they are above the law and no one else knows what they are talking about, you know its going to happen!!! in fact I think there was someone in the last few months that got a ticket because their slammed car was seen scraping pavement and they were awarded a ticket for it and came on here whining and complaining.

Most cars lowered for performance reasons (and not retarded scraping the pavement reasons) still fall well within bumper height regulations.

codetrap
05-26-2011, 02:57 PM

It's true that HiD's in a halogen housing will scatter light instead of focusing, and are mildly annoying to motorists going the opposite way, but it's a MINOR annoyance compared to the other junk people do to their cars and drive them on public roads, not to mention the fashion in which they drive them

"Death by a thousand cuts"

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

badatusrnames
05-26-2011, 03:16 PM

Thank you thank you thank you.

Thanks.

This and clueless individuals driving around with their high beams on, with no idea what that the light on their dashboard means...

stevieo
05-26-2011, 03:26 PM

awesome!!!

hmmm yesterday driving home after the gym behind a cop all the way from the gym till about 5 minutes from my house and I didn't get no tickets or anything...must have been my properly installed retrofit projectors that kept me outta trouble...

if I can afford to buy a fucking kit online, I'm sure you fuckers can save your money and do the same thing.

ddduke
05-26-2011, 03:36 PM

Most cars lowered for performance reasons (and not retarded scraping the pavement reasons) still fall well within bumper height regulations.

That doesn't change the fact that these guys drive like idiots. I'm sick of driving in a parking lot and seeing a 240 or civic have to come to a complete stop then hit a speed bum side ways or what's even worse is guys that can't pull out of parking lots onto main roads at a reasonable speed and you have to wait 5 minutes for a really clear opening.

It's not just guys in lifted truck that drive like douches, it's pretty much all guys who modify vehicles. I spend all day behind the wheel and I see more rice rockets driving like pricks then lifted trucks.

You're just an ignorant prick with a narrow mind. Let people modify the way that they want, I understand the HID kits but why the fuck do you care about lifted trucks? What are the chances of you dying due to this? pretty slim. I don't like modified jap or german cars and you don't see me running around trying to nail them to a cross.

You might aswell start a campaign about people leaving taps running while brushing their teeth because you may run out of water and die of dehydration.

effingidiot
05-26-2011, 03:39 PM

awesome!!!

hmmm yesterday driving home after the gym behind a cop all the way from the gym till about 5 minutes from my house and I didn't get no tickets or anything...must have been my properly installed retrofit projectors that kept me outta trouble...

if I can afford to buy a fucking kit online, I'm sure you fuckers can save your money and do the same thing.

Did you manage to retrofit a headlamp washer system as well?

stevieo
05-26-2011, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by effingidiot

Did you manage to retrofit a headlamp washer system as well?

no :( thats for manual work when I get to gas stations haha

J-hop
05-26-2011, 05:04 PM

you could argue the same thing for trucks with modest lifts, but I was mostly talking about the other other end of the spectrum (being slammed cars) as we are talking about obnoxious jacked up trucks.

Also things to consider would be the enforcement and/or addition of minimum headlight height restrictions. If you are going to enforce one end of the spectrum you might as well enforce the other.

Not trying to start any argument, I just see it being a double edged sword.

revelations
05-26-2011, 07:26 PM
There are far too many jacked up trucks sporting illegal HID installation......the owners, in my experiences, seem to know they can't have them and have a cavalier attitude towards other road users.

That just confirms what everybody already knew about a LOT (not all) of jacked up truck owners.....

phil98z24
05-26-2011, 08:48 PM
I certainly can't speak on behalf of everyone else here and as you can see they all have their views on the subject - but my view, from a law enforcement perspective, is that the community of vehicle enthusiasts who jack up their trucks tend to modify their vehicles in ways that not only annoy people, but are typically dangerous and completely disrespectful of other users of the road. This is not solely my perspective, but also that of people who have approached me and told me that something needs to be done about it. Clearly, that is where the function of my job comes into play and I am compelled to do something about it.

On a typical day I will see 3-4 of these trucks performing multiple dangerous lane changes without signalling, driving with illegal HID headlights in halogen housings AND illegal HID fog lights in halogen/reflector housings that are aimed too high, driving with no mudflaps and kicking up shit everywhere, and speeding well over what would be considered flow of traffic.

Every time I stop one of them, I get the typical nice guy response saying that they will fix it and that they didn't know it wasn't illegal, etc - and that's fine, I'm cool with people playing the game. What gets my goat is when I tell them to fix it, and that I won't issue a ticket this time trusting they will actually do it without a ticket in hand and... I see them 3 weeks later without having done a damn thing. Some of them do fix things and get it back to spec, but for those that don't I'm stepping it up and I'm going to do my part in keeping dangerous vehicles off the roadway, especially with dangerous operators behind the wheel.

Obviously your experiences are vastly different than mine, and I can't take that away from you; however, what I see in a police car day to day is what matters to me, and it doesn't seem to be the 'ricer' community that is causing the problems these days. That said, if I see something done by a member of this particular part of the enthusiast community I will address it as I would anything else.

bspot
05-27-2011, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by J-hop

you could argue the same thing for trucks with modest lifts, but I was mostly talking about the other other end of the spectrum (being slammed cars) as we are talking about obnoxious jacked up trucks.

Also things to consider would be the enforcement and/or addition of minimum headlight height restrictions. If you are going to enforce one end of the spectrum you might as well enforce the other.

Not trying to start any argument, I just see it being a double edged sword.

I totally agree, the extremes should be enforced, as they are unsafe. People who keep it reasonable, no problem. Obviously "reasonable" is a grey area, but I think the legal range of bumper heights is a great measure of this.

bspot
05-27-2011, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by ddduke

That doesn't change the fact that these guys drive like idiots. I'm sick of driving in a parking lot and seeing a 240 or civic have to come to a complete stop then hit a speed bum side ways or what's even worse is guys that can't pull out of parking lots onto main roads at a reasonable speed and you have to wait 5 minutes for a really clear opening.

It's not just guys in lifted truck that drive like douches, it's pretty much all guys who modify vehicles. I spend all day behind the wheel and I see more rice rockets driving like pricks then lifted trucks.

You're just an ignorant prick with a narrow mind. Let people modify the way that they want, I understand the HID kits but why the fuck do you care about lifted trucks? What are the chances of you dying due to this? pretty slim. I don't like modified jap or german cars and you don't see me running around trying to nail them to a cross.

You might aswell start a campaign about people leaving taps running while brushing their teeth because you may run out of water and die of dehydration.

Whoever drives like a douche should be a victim of enforcement, this isn't a "lowered car vs jacked up truck" thing for me.

If your jacked up truck has modified bumpers that meet maximum bumper heights, then awesome. I don't mind it at all. Not my thing, but lots of people enjoy modifying their trucks, and I understand that.

When someone has a front bumper 3 feet off the ground, I'd rather their truck get the fuck off the road because head on collisions DO happen, and I don't care if the "odds of me dying due to this" are small, I prefer not having YOU make the decision whether I'm ok with that risk.

How about if you feel the need to put someone at a slightly increased risk of dying on the road you don't wear your seat belt and I'll wear mine.

stevieo
05-27-2011, 11:35 AM
I certainly can't speak on behalf of everyone else here and as you can see they all have their views on the subject - but my view, from a law enforcement perspective, is that the community of vehicle enthusiasts who jack up their trucks tend to modify their vehicles in ways that not only annoy people, but are typically dangerous and completely disrespectful of other users of the road. This is not solely my perspective, but also that of people who have approached me and told me that something needs to be done about it. Clearly, that is where the function of my job comes into play and I am compelled to do something about it.

On a typical day I will see 3-4 of these trucks performing multiple dangerous lane changes without signalling, driving with illegal HID headlights in halogen housings AND illegal HID fog lights in halogen/reflector housings that are aimed too high, driving with no mudflaps and kicking up shit everywhere, and speeding well over what would be considered flow of traffic.

Every time I stop one of them, I get the typical nice guy response saying that they will fix it and that they didn't know it wasn't illegal, etc - and that's fine, I'm cool with people playing the game. What gets my goat is when I tell them to fix it, and that I won't issue a ticket this time trusting they will actually do it without a ticket in hand and... I see them 3 weeks later without having done a damn thing. Some of them do fix things and get it back to spec, but for those that don't I'm stepping it up and I'm going to do my part in keeping dangerous vehicles off the roadway, especially with dangerous operators behind the wheel.

Obviously your experiences are vastly different than mine, and I can't take that away from you; however, what I see in a police car day to day is what matters to me, and it doesn't seem to be the 'ricer' community that is causing the problems these days. That said, if I see something done by a member of this particular part of the enthusiast community I will address it as I would anything else.

hey Phil, I am wondering, when you give them a warning and they say they will fix it, do you make a mind note and remember the plate or will you put it into the system? I was just wondering how you guys go about remember who you let off with warnings about certain mods/driving habits etc.

phil98z24
05-27-2011, 07:13 PM

hey Phil, I am wondering, when you give them a warning and they say they will fix it, do you make a mind note and remember the plate or will you put it into the system? I was just wondering how you guys go about remember who you let off with warnings about certain mods/driving habits etc.

We can add comments to traffic stops and check them later, or in my case I keep a pretty good mental note of who's who, as I'm enforcing pretty extreme cases and it's usually easy to pick them out again. There is nothing that can flag a plate for equipment violations or douchebag drivers, so it's pretty much up to the investigating officer to dig up info or have good recall.

luxor
05-27-2011, 08:32 PM
So glad to hear CPS, or at least one confirmed member, is cracking down on these douche lifted trucks. The spur of modified lifted trucks in the last couple of years have been ridiculous and I always wondered when they will have a crack down similar to that front window tint crack down last summer. Can't say these lifted truck driver didn't bring it upon themselves, most of them are d-bags, and its shitty that it gives the minority of good lifted truck drivers a bad name.

:thumbsup:

EDIT: To come to think of it, I can count three guys I know of on top of my head who used to be ricers that moved to lifting trucks. Looks like a case of "old wine, new bottle" and glad to see their disguise hasn't worked very well.