PDA

View Full Version : HELP: Fuck Rain In The Face.

dj_patm
05-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Hey could really use some of your guys help...

Does anyone know where I can get these Water Repellent filters for CAI here in town? I’m in desperate need as my car is having serious issues with all the rain lately, and I don’t want to pay $80 to get it here over night.

http://www.streetunit.com/Injen_Water_Repellant_Pre_Filter_p/x-1034.htm

And maybe you guys can just chime in on whether my self-diagnosis is correct as well.

When there is a lot of water on the road and I’m at higher RPM’s (happens often due my ridiculously short gears) my car will on occasion hesitate a bit, throw a CEL but continue to drive fine, with the CEL going away once it resets itself after 5 or 6 starts.

However sometimes – 3 times in the last 2 months, including twice in the last three days to be exact – when it is really wet and after a harder drive (highway stuff or passes) my car wouldn’t start. It would turn over and then just die right away, sort of like it wouldn’t idle. The car turned on, the revs went up and then just dropped and stalled. So far I’ve been able to remedy this by letting the car sit a bit and turning it on and just bouncing the gas pedal up and down until it eventually “catches” and lets me idle. This usually takes more than a few tries, however, today it took a ridiculously high amount of tries. I was actually worried about doing some sort of damage cause of all the starting and dying, it was that bad, but eventually it caught.

One of the times it actually started dying on me on Deerfoot while driving. I thought I killed the car. The gas pedal felt really weird, like there was no tension. But I let it sit there for a bit and eventually got it going with the above method….

So yeah… thoughts? Even the minor CEL that go away only started happening after I got a Cold Air Inake and they only happen in the wet. I've yet to get one in the dry.

Cooked Rice
05-25-2011, 03:35 PM
Mopac, they got ones made by K&N in different sizes. http://www.knfilters.com/search/wrap.aspx

heavyD
05-25-2011, 03:35 PM
Go back to stock.

streethondas
05-25-2011, 03:39 PM
Check the CEL only way to tell what's wrong.... Im assuming it's a mazda 6?

chkolny541
05-25-2011, 03:42 PM
when i quickly read the title i thought it said "Help me fuck rain in the face" and it left me horribly confused

dj_patm
05-25-2011, 03:42 PM
Yeah its a speed 6.

P.S. I'm not pointing out the "speed" part to be a douche lol its just that its a lot different then the other 6's so a lot of stuff that works or can be applied to a regular 6 is a no go for my car.

roll_over
05-25-2011, 03:55 PM
haha almost like my quad this week end Pat? haha lol

JRSC00LUDE
05-25-2011, 04:04 PM
Check code.

Verify problem.

CAI related? Get better CAI or, better yet, see heavyD.

dj_patm
05-25-2011, 04:10 PM
Well look at that. Quick Google search has exposed me to multipe reviews of the CAI I have and definetly a lot of people complaining about the fuel cut off kicking in when it rains.

Getting a SRI tomorrow. Luckily I bought this cai for $50 second hand.

dimi
05-25-2011, 04:10 PM
You're sucking up water. Go back to stock as heavy D said. You wanna blow your engine because of a CAI? :rofl:

Tomaz
05-25-2011, 04:14 PM
Or go to a SRI setup instead. Same cool noise with less the headache! :thumbsup:

dj_patm
05-25-2011, 04:17 PM
Yeah I'm definetly getting the SRI asap. My stock box is MIA.

roll_over
05-25-2011, 04:36 PM
maybe the spring on the throttle body is broke? and not closing fully just like my quad this weekend and that neon I had as a winter beater. It would start like a whore on Sunday.

-Jermey Clarkson

Tik-Tok
05-25-2011, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by chkolny541
when i quickly read the title i thought it said "Help me fuck rain in the face" and it left me horribly confused

I thought he had a stripper named Rain... kind of disappointed by the thread.

MrSector9
05-25-2011, 05:02 PM
sounds more like a misfire then the engine sucking up water, depending on where you CAI is run.

Check the codes..(like everyone else says)

I have a feeling it will say misfire though as it sounds like a cracked coil.

I am speaking from reference as I had a VR6 Jetta and as anyone that knows VW's at all, they are notorious for having cracked coils.

Sugarphreak
05-25-2011, 07:22 PM

adam c
05-25-2011, 07:31 PM
strange my car has been acting up with this rain as well, threw a CEL today as well

Zero102
05-26-2011, 07:34 AM
If you are having problems starting it I seriously doubt you are sucking up water. I'd be looking for other electrical issues that can be provoked by excessive humidity or standing water (something may be getting wet before you park).

First check the codes, hopefully that gives you something to go on.

J-hop
05-26-2011, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by roll_over
maybe the spring on the throttle body is broke? and not closing fully just like my quad this weekend and that neon I had as a winter beater.

I could be wrong but i'm 90% sure a MS 6 would be drive by wire..... (edit: well I guess you are right in a way, there is a small return spring inside some DBW throttle systems, however the ECU would detect if this broke easily via anomalous tps readings so this probably wouldn't be it)

OP almost sounds like an electrical issue, you should check the inside of your filter for water, but it does sound like the misfire is caused by electrical issues. Either way get that CAI off the 6 for sure and put something proper on there.

KandabashiDevil
05-26-2011, 10:39 AM
Going back to stock is for the weak & pathetic! :rofl:

Buy one of these. I have one and it works amazing.
http://www.aemintakes.com/air_bypass_valve.htm

Bought mine from Tunerworks :thumbsup: