PDA

View Full Version : Fix car or get a new one?

BloNdie
05-25-2011, 04:45 PM
I have a 99 Toyota Corolla with 178000. Its served me well for 5 years with no problems. I've recently found out it needs 4 new struts and new tires. Also I could use a new windsheild. All-in-all it will be about $2200-$2500. I'm hesitant to put that kind of money into a car that may only be worth ~$4000. If I knew there would be no other expensive fixes in the near future, it would be fine but of course there is no way to know that.

The alternative is buying a ~$10-12000 used car. Again, with a used car I want to be sure there won't be any expensive fixes in the near furture. I've been looking at 08-09 Mazda 3s and Nissan Sentra/Versas...but am open to suggestions.

So the question is, do I fix my ol' faithful and hope for the best or take the plunge and buy a newish car?

What would you do?

roll_over
05-25-2011, 04:54 PM
I have a honda fit love the car used there 10,000 -14,000 tops, great on gas roomy, at 56,000km with no problems. That toyota could last forever for all that we know.

CapnCrunch
05-26-2011, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by BloNdie
I have a 99 Toyota Corolla with 178000. Its served me well for 5 years with no problems. I've recently found out it needs 4 new struts and new tires. Also I could use a new windsheild. All-in-all it will be about $2200-$2500. I'm hesitant to put that kind of money into a car that may only be worth ~$4000. If I knew there would be no other expensive fixes in the near future, it would be fine but of course there is no way to know that.

The alternative is buying a ~$10-12000 used car. Again, with a used car I want to be sure there won't be any expensive fixes in the near furture. I've been looking at 08-09 Mazda 3s and Nissan Sentra/Versas...but am open to suggestions.

So the question is, do I fix my ol' faithful and hope for the best or take the plunge and buy a newish car?

What would you do?

None of those are serious issues. Just fix what you can, when you can. And wtf on those prices?

New tires - $500
Windshield $200-300
Struts - $1400-1800???!!?? FUCK ME IN THE ASS!!!

Stop going to the dealer

CapnCrunch
05-26-2011, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

None of those are serious issues. Just fix what you can, when you can. And wtf on those prices?

New tires - $500
Windshield $200-300
Struts - $1400-1800???!!?? FUCK ME IN THE ASS!!!

Stop going to the dealer

Also, that car should easily last you another 100,000kms with just mainteneance. If you don't want it, I'll take it.

Tik-Tok
05-26-2011, 07:25 AM

What would you do?

Stop going to the dealer

What he said.

I'd fix the Corolla. A newer car could easily have just as much $ repairs as your current one, since you don't know it's history at all.

However with the Corolla, you know it's running fine, just needs routine maintenance.

Unless you're looking for an excuse to get a newer car (and new debt?)

derpderp
05-26-2011, 07:36 AM
Keep it!

Zero102
05-26-2011, 07:39 AM
If you want the financially responsible answer:
Shop around, you can cut that price almost in half, then fix the car

If you want the "I want a shiny new toy" answer:
You never know what will break in the future, your best bet is to buy brand new so the car has a warranty

Take it as you will, but seriously that estimate is way too high. Shocks should be ~$200-$300 in parts and ~$200 in labour, tires are ~$500 and a windshield should be under $300. Taking the worst case on everything it should only be ~$1300.

If you buy shocks from rock auto and tires from tire rack, ship them to montana, drive down to pick them up, find a cheap place to install the tires and an affordable windshield place you can probably fix it all for $850.

*EDIT*
Just checked: Rock auto wants ~$55/corner for monroe shocks + ~$40 shipping to montana (where you will probably pay ~$10-$15 receiving charges) + GST (and maybe duty) brings the total for the shocks to $300

Tire rack shows $55-$70/corner for reasonably good all-season touring tires + $70 to ship, a shipping place in montana would charge you about $20 to receive them + GST and duty brings the total to $341 - $401, then factor in $60-$80 to have them mounted and balanced here for a total of $401 - $481 for tires

I don't know an easy way to check windshield prices without calling around, but every time I have called I've been quoted between $210 and $280.

It looks like my first estimate was a little off, but still, if you do the work yourself you are still under $1k, and if you paid a shop to install the shocks you should still be under $1200.

sillysod
05-26-2011, 07:41 AM
Monroe struts for your car are under $60.00 on Rock Auto... you can get 4 tires for that car for under $400 installed.

Why you spend $2500 on suspension and tires?
Because race car!

Tik-Tok
05-26-2011, 07:48 AM
Can I ask who told you the struts are toast? It's a pretty common thing for mechanics to swindle customers on. Canadian Tire "failed" all 4 struts on a old Accord I had, but there was nothing wrong with them, and drove 3 years on them before selling the car.

Check them yourself, it's pretty simple.

80C2N9ecSj4

dreamchaser
05-26-2011, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by sillysod

Why you spend $2500 on suspension and tires?

check the name of the OP

CapnCrunch
05-26-2011, 08:07 AM
I just checked costco and you can get 4 cheap all seasons for 380 installed.

AE92_TreunoSC
05-26-2011, 08:08 AM
I call struts if they are leaking badly, often they dont fail the bounce test but will soon.

Depends on how badly its leaking and what shape the car is in.

More often I'll call struts after a bounce test though.

97luder
05-26-2011, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
I call struts if they are leaking badly, often they dont fail the bounce test but will soon.

Depends on how badly its leaking and what shape the car is in.

More often I'll call struts after a bounce test though.

+1

shop around 2500 is high you could get some one to do it for much less im sure

what was the price on the struts alone ?

Thaco
05-26-2011, 09:57 AM
you can buy slightly used tires on kijiji for probably $100-$200 and get them mounted balanced installed for like $100

struts, do them yourself (if they really are needed) they're pretty easy

windshield... you live in calgary, that's as regular maintenance as an oil change...

J-hop
05-26-2011, 10:15 AM
yea keep the car for sure, those are pretty much standard wear items for a vehicle. Just do some shopping around as mentioned.

leftwing
05-26-2011, 11:23 AM
Keep the car, you could easily stay under $1000 to fix your car.

One super cheap route is to take your car to a high school with an automotive program and get them to install your struts. They don't charge labour and they sell you your struts for cost. The only downside of taking it to a high school is that they don't guarantee their workmanship--they aren't liable for any damage or problems, but a strut install is very straight forward so there should be no problems. You could get your struts installed for under $200 (including cost of materials).

Used tires from $25/tire:
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-auto-parts-tires-tires-rims-14-USED-TIRES-FROM-25-ASSTD-SIZES-HUGE-SELECTION-W0QQAdIdZ285629057

factor in mounting/balancing and your at around 150-180.

Grand total for struts and tires is under/around $400.00
Add windshield: max $300.00 and your only at 700.00 give or take.

Guillermo
05-26-2011, 11:30 AM
I would repair and keep the car, unless you really want a new mazda 3 (those are excellent cars BTW, you certainly wouldn't go wrong with that).

Xtrema
05-26-2011, 11:55 AM
Get another quote.

Are you sure you NEED new struts?

tehwegz
05-26-2011, 04:48 PM
I dont mean to jack the topic, but you can still ride on bad struts right? (although dangerous + harsh ride)

BloNdie
05-30-2011, 12:25 PM
Thanks everyone. I am definitely shopping around.

I will check them based on the video. Basically the reason I brought the car in to be checked is because the steering feels loose. Esp if I'm going over 80 km/h...its just sloppy and it doesn't feel safe any more. I did think it was weird when they told me 'its bouncy'.....because I don't experience that.

The original quote I got was from Blaskin and Lane. They quoted $360 for each strut and 2.5 hrs for the back and 3.5 for the front. Total $1718.00.

I phoned auto value and the cheapest struts they have at $140 a piece. Now I am looking for someone who can put them in for me in a reasonable number of hours. If you can recommend anyone, I would certainly give them my business.

BrknFngrs
05-30-2011, 12:31 PM
The original quote I got was from Blaskin and Lane. They quoted $360 for each strut and 2.5 hrs for the back and 3.5 for the front. Total $1718.00.

:eek:

BloNdie
05-30-2011, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs

:eek:

No kidding!

I realize now, after reading everyone's responses, that that is totally inflated. I'm hoping someone can refer me somewhere or can do the work for me for a more reasonable price.

CapnCrunch
05-30-2011, 12:57 PM
Thanks everyone. I am definitely shopping around.

I will check them based on the video. Basically the reason I brought the car in to be checked is because the steering feels loose. Esp if I'm going over 80 km/h...its just sloppy and it doesn't feel safe any more. I did think it was weird when they told me 'its bouncy'.....because I don't experience that.

I phoned auto value and the cheapest struts they have at $140 a piece. Now I am looking for someone who can put them in for me in a reasonable number of hours. If you can recommend anyone, I would certainly give them my business.

Somebody posted a website selling them for 60. You might want to just order them yourself and save yourself $300.

BloNdie
05-30-2011, 01:02 PM

Somebody posted a website selling them for 60. You might want to just order them yourself and save yourself $300.

I'll definitely look into it. I want to secure someone (and a price) for installation before purchasing the parts.

Zero102
05-30-2011, 01:05 PM

The website that was posted is rock auto, they are located in the US and you also need to consider that unless you have them shipped by air you will be paying brokerage ontop of the shipping charge. Rock Auto is awesome if you like travelling to the US to pick up parts, but it can become very costly if you ship things to your door here.

G-ZUS
05-30-2011, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Zero102

The website that was posted is rock auto, they are located in the US and you also need to consider that unless you have them shipped by air you will be paying brokerage ontop of the shipping charge. Rock Auto is awesome if you like travelling to the US to pick up parts, but it can become very costly if you ship things to your door here.

I have ordered numerous times (so have my friends) from rock auto and never have i been surprised at the door. They usually ship FEDEX and charge u taxes.

Tik-Tok
05-30-2011, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

I have ordered numerous times (so have my friends) from rock auto and never have i been surprised at the door. They usually ship FEDEX and charge u taxes.

I usually get RockAuto to ship USPS/Canada Post, all you have to pay is duties/GST, and it's never been a surprising amount. It just takes a couple of weeks to get here/cleared.

Though Blondie may not want to go that route, since Canada Post is about to strike.