PDA

View Full Version : Just plain old All Season tires...what is good?

Ducati
01-16-2004, 06:19 PM
I know that a question about rather ordinary all season tires is a little out of place in a forum dominated primarily by guys who ride on Nitto Low Pro's etc., but surely ta gawd someone has a daily driver with all season H series radials on it that they are really happy with.

What is working well for you? What are you able to recommend? Why?

1badPT
01-16-2004, 06:37 PM
What do you want out of the tire? Tire performance is nothing mroe than a bunch of tradeoffs.

Are you looking for a long tire life? Quiet ride? Good winter performance or summer performance? Dry or wet?

For example, if you don't mind a slightly shorter tire life, you could get an "All weather tire" instead of an all season. All weathers perform much better in winter than an all season (not as good as a true winter tire though - but remember its a tradeoff) and they don't need to be swapped off in the summer.

Figure out what's important for you first then you can find the right kind of tire. Otherwise, you're just going to have a big list of everyone's favourite tire brand, and it won't help any more than buying a tire from a brand that you know, only because you know the brand and not what the tire does. If that makes sense.

I would say if you are looking for H-rated tires, you must be at least midly interested in summer performance. The tradeoff might be scary winter performance.

cocoabrova
01-16-2004, 06:57 PM
Haha, with the winter you guys are having in BC, you better get some winter tires:rofl:
I've had good experiences with Avid H4's and Kumho Ecsta 711's

T5_X
01-16-2004, 07:33 PM
I've got Pirelli p7000s on mine. I believe they are W-rated, I am happy with their performance, though I wish I had the Pzero neros.

GTS Jeff
01-16-2004, 09:04 PM
what are your plans and expectations for these tires?

i know that in richmond the weather never really gets bad enough to warrant winter tires, but its always rainy and it can get cold enough to make summer tires useless.

if i were in your shoes, id probably be looking at high-performance all season tires such as falken ziex, toyo fz4, toyo proxe 1z (i think???), yoko avids (theres a few different kinds, i dont really know the diff)..

Ducati
01-16-2004, 09:59 PM
Thanks GTS Jeff & 1BadPT; sound advice.

I need H ratyed because my car is heavy (3700 lbs) and I need tractability in rainy weather. I am not so concerned about having a sporty hi-performance tire for summer squirrelyness (The car is a 130 hp Turbodiesel) but I do some fast highway driving & want stability and resistance to hydroplaning.

At the top end of my choices so far is the Michelin HydroEdge.

The Toyo Proxies gets a nod, as does the BF Goodrich Traction, and the Bridgestone Tuaranza LH-S. The Avid is good but it is only a few bucks less than the Michelin, I might as well get the Hydroedge.

Thanx all.