PDA

View Full Version : theft of license plate question

revelations
05-25-2011, 11:14 PM
I have video of some nubtard stealing a plate off a vehicle in our condo parkade. I know who he is and where he lives.

Just wondering what criminal code charges, or TSA (traffic safety act) charges could be laid against someone who is caught stealing a license plate?

A simple mischief charge? Theft under 5000$ ?

ddduke
05-25-2011, 11:21 PM
Leave a note at his door demanding a few hundred $ or you'll forward the info the the authorities.

Afrodeziak
05-25-2011, 11:33 PM
no idea,

I had a plate stolen off a car years back. I got a call from the CPS a few weeks later at midnight asking where I was. They had caught someone with it and wanted to ensure I hadn't been a part of the robbery which the plate was used for.

My guess is the person is into something worse than stealing license plates.

revelations
05-25-2011, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Afrodeziak
no idea,

I had a plate stolen off a car years back. I got a call from the CPS a few weeks later at midnight asking where I was. They had caught someone with it and wanted to ensure I hadn't been a part of the robbery which the plate was used for.

My guess is the person is into something worse than stealing license plates.

Ya its not something you do just for kicks. This guy looks like hes got a history.

Stealth22
05-26-2011, 12:17 AM
Just forward it on to CPS, let them deal with it. :closed:

Disoblige
05-26-2011, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Stealth22
Just forward it on to CPS, let them deal with it. :closed:
Yeah, let them know you have camera footage and know exactly who he is. He'll be nailed and you will be anonymous.

Last thing you need is someone like that knowing you are going to report them because then he might pull some shit on you.

btimbit
05-26-2011, 12:23 AM
"If you wish to declare your licence plate lost or stolen and require no replacement, you should report the loss to the police and visit a registry agent office to fill out a licence plate declaration form.

To replace your lost or stolen plate, year sticker or registration, you will be required to provide your operator’s (drivers) licence or two pieces of identification as well provide your licence plate number to a Registry Agent and pay the required fee"

http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/577.cfm#jm_LostStolen

Just give the cops the video too, he'll be nailed pretty quick and you could probably get him to cover any fees involved if you need to get a new plate before yours is returned. But the most important thing is to call CPS asap so that if he uses it your ass is covered.

http://www.edmontonpolice.ca/platescrews

Maybe CPS has something like this? If not looks like they're less than $8 at Canadian Tire. After this thread, I think I'll get some.

revelations
05-26-2011, 08:35 AM
I was manily just curious as to how the law handles something like this.

If the owner of the car wants to pursue this matter further, then she has that option.

phil98z24
05-26-2011, 09:16 AM
He would be charged with theft under, and if he used the plate, unauthorized use of plates (TSA).. soooo, one whole day in jail (time served for the time spent in arrest processing), for when he pleads guilty.

Report it to the non-emergency number, and be prepared to explain how you know this guy, etc, and then that way the car crew that handles it can proceed further - especially if the plate is used on a stolen car and used for more serious offences.

revelations
05-26-2011, 04:30 PM
Thanks Phil.

The plate was reported stolen by the owner a day after she noticed it missing.

So theft under in this case would be what, a 500$ fine?

I cant see the subject serving any time for a summary offense if he didnt actually use the plate for any nefarious purpose.

This is just curiosity, I have been out of the "game" for too long to remember now.

Kennyredline
05-26-2011, 04:59 PM
I think you should find out where this person lives, and go fuck them in the face.

Oh wait....

.........that's rain!