PDA

View Full Version : selling my bike, scams....?

03ozwhip
05-27-2011, 08:17 AM
so i got 2 emails from a guy interested in my bike. the fiirst one read:
"anything to add or the ad says it all?"

to which i replied i stated everything in the ad, nothing to hide.

he then replied again(with a normal name mind you, not anything out of zimbabwe or whatever) and said:
" just wanted to make sure nothing has been left out I will purchase at your listed price. payment will be sent using paypal and ill handle the paypal surcharge if they are any. Let me know if you are ok with this, so that i can arrange for pick up as i wont be able to do it myself as i am out of town at the moment. i would appreciate if you email me with more picture9if available) too, since i wont be able to see it in person, whats the paypal email to send funds to in orer for me to pay you ASAP.

regards"

potential scam or does it sound fairly legit?

CapnCrunch
05-27-2011, 08:19 AM
Smells like a scam. He's buying it full price, without seeing it, and someone else is picking it up?

dirtsniffer
05-27-2011, 08:19 AM
:closed:

G-ZUS
05-27-2011, 08:22 AM
If you have to ask...................

chkolny541
05-27-2011, 08:22 AM
scam for sure! If you ever have to ask if its a scam, then thats not a good sign. Tell him you can hold onto the bike for him if he gives you a deposit of something, but youll want full payment in person

03ozwhip
05-27-2011, 08:30 AM
ya i know ive had the scam emails hundreds of times but this one seems a little different. waiting for his reply to me saying that it sounds wierd. if he replies at all.

CapnCrunch
05-27-2011, 08:31 AM
Just ask him to wire his friend the money and he can show up with cash.

chkolny541
05-27-2011, 08:35 AM
also this EXACT topic was covered earlier

search "paypal+scam" = http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=294750

03ozwhip
05-27-2011, 08:40 AM
^^nice, thread closed then, appreciate it guys.

Afrodeziak
05-27-2011, 10:55 AM
The only thing that might work.

It might be a legit offer, as some people have more time than they do money.

Originally posted by CapnCrunch
Just ask him to wire his friend the money and he can show up with cash.

jsn
05-27-2011, 12:01 PM
Anytime you have to ask whether or not it's a scam, most likely it is. This one sounds no different than any of the other paypal scam emails I've seen. Scam for sure. All of them are the same

"I'll purchase at your listed price (no mention of the actual price)"
"I'm out of town"
Also, they almost always never mention the actual item in the email because I'm assuming they just copy and paste that to other postings.

BensonTT
05-27-2011, 06:29 PM
send him any email address and say its ur paypal email.. and see what kinda mail you will get...lol

theken
05-27-2011, 07:34 PM
i had a guy recently pay my purchase price (almost) without seeing the bike, he came from sask, flew in and rode home, i took a money order. Pay pal i am sure is different though.

revelations
05-27-2011, 07:56 PM
Dumb question on my part, but if the OP was wired the money through PP, what is the proper amount of time the OP should wait for the money to clear before he releases the bike?

OriginalGoods
05-27-2011, 09:06 PM
It takes about 7 days to go to your account plus withdrawl from . I have received allot from paypal . Its a good tool