PDA

View Full Version : Intrepids - terrible car

Outie4000S
05-27-2011, 08:17 AM
So how to I inform a driver that their car sucks. I was following this Intrepid home on Deerfoot and found myself almost up their tail pipe due to one of those sudden traffic slow downs, and the fact that none, not even the center break lights were working.

I have the licence plate, do should I just call the CPS and tell them - to call up the owner?

ExtraSlow
05-27-2011, 08:24 AM
This is one of the reasons I wish we had mandatory safety inspections on cars. People don't even replace burnt out tail lights.
I see it all the time. :banghead:

chkolny541
05-27-2011, 08:24 AM
you sit back, and do nothing because thats life. You must be new or something

Outie4000S
05-27-2011, 08:34 AM
Yeah I think the inspection thing should be mandatory. I also think anyone causing a traffic delay/block of any kind should be fined if the delay is a result of their vehicles condition.

eg, a guy looses his tire on deerfoot -is stuck in the center lane for 2 hours causes a 3 hour delay. I just imagine all the lost productivity, and huge amounts of CO2 entering our air because of the delay. He should get a fine equal to all the lost wages.

But back to the Retard Intrepid, I would have told the dummy, but there was no way to signal them. I wouldn't be surprised if someone hit them. Who would be at fault I wonder?

G-ZUS
05-27-2011, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Outie4000S
I wouldn't be surprised if someone hit them. Who would be at fault I wonder?

The person in the rear

leftwing
05-27-2011, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Outie4000S

eg, a guy looses his tire on deerfoot -is stuck in the center lane for 2 hours causes a 3 hour delay. I just imagine all the lost productivity, and huge amounts of CO2 entering our air because of the delay. He should get a fine equal to all the lost wages.

you aren't serious....right?

Also what if the guys break lights went out only 15 minutes before you saw him? how is he supposed to know? I agree it is ignorant/unsafe to know your lights are out and not change them, but how do you prove he knew they were burnt out?

Kloubek
05-27-2011, 10:00 AM
There might be a case to be made for not being alerted by someone having burnt out tail lights, but it is still no excuse to nearly rearend them. You should be far back enough that you have time to assess the fact you are coming up to them fast.

I'd say if there was an accident you'd be extremely lucky to have the courts assess their fault at even 25%.

ercchry
05-27-2011, 10:08 AM
i hate following people without brake lights... once i was stuck behind a guy without them and i kept finding myself riding his ass cause i never knew when he was braking. he didnt like how close i was stopping to his bumper so he started brake checking me... without brake lights. that was fun :banghead:

finally got around him and he fingered me! hrm... if the guy has had issues with people riding his ass maybe he should check out his truck to see if there is a reason its happening :dunno:

JfuckinC
05-27-2011, 10:19 AM
Fuck that happened to me the other day, some doofus in a truck. i almost nailed him! :banghead:

i was livid. pulled up beside him and told him and he kinda glared at me? what a fuckin tool.

Xtrema
05-27-2011, 10:23 AM
Unless you want government to impose mandatory scrappage (10 years?), there's nothing you can do about people who either doesn't or afford to give a shit about their vehicles.

ercchry
05-27-2011, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Unless you want government to impose mandatory scrappage (10 years?), there's nothing you can do about people who either doesn't or afford to give a shit about their vehicles.

why is that? do like japan, after x number of years you must get inspected and provide a sticker on your window that is valid. inspection is tougher than an out of province currently is and if you do not abide by the rules the fines are stiff including seizure of vehicle

ExtraSlow
05-27-2011, 10:55 AM
Nobody is proposing scrappage, just periodic inspections to verify that the vehicle is safe. That's pretty simple, and would be easy to implement.

Tire tread, tire pressure, lights operate, horn operate, exhaust intact, mirrors haven't fallen off, windshield not cracked or tinted, brakes operate, no visible smoke from exhaust at idle.

Government provides the form to fill out, get any certified mechanic to sign it, provide to registry when you renew your registration on any vehcile over 10 years old.

kvg
05-27-2011, 10:59 AM
Inspections so half the people on here can replace their exhaust, remove tint, raise lowered car/Lower truck to fit into proper height restrictions, etc? In BC Air care was good for people having to trailer performance cars and/or getting them detuned before annual inspection then tuned after. Just my take.:dunno:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-27-2011, 11:13 AM
Only time I worry about no brake lights is at night and in shitty weather, otherwise I find it pretty easy to tell when someone is braking.

Modelexis
05-27-2011, 11:15 AM
If I downshift and decelerate with engine braking and you smash into me, that's going to be your fault for not paying attention.

Brake lights aren't the only indication of slowing vehicles.

Kloubek
05-27-2011, 11:18 AM
I remember a few years ago seeing this car which was *clearly* not roadworthy. The rear suspension was shot and drooping, the exhaust was literally dragging on the ground, more rust than solid metal, there was this huge squealing noise (brakes, probably), and smoke pouring out from somewhere under the car.

That got me thinking that mandatory inspections should be required after a car is X years old. I think the required inspection for vehicles 12 years or older when you *purchase* them keeps a lot of crappy cars off the road, but that rule clearly did nothing in the case of the vehicle I am describing.

ercchry
05-27-2011, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Modelexis
If I downshift and decelerate with engine braking and you smash into me, that's going to be your fault for not paying attention.

Brake lights aren't the only indication of slowing vehicles.

little different than brake checking with no taillights in rush hour traffic

but being on the receiving end of rear ending accidents i can tell you right now YOU will be the one paying for it in the long run

even if i do down shift i still light up my taillights to indicate i am slowing

ddduke
05-27-2011, 11:37 AM
What's worse then anything is the idiots that don't plug in their trailer lights properly. The whole car situation is kind of rare but I see trailers with no lights daily.

I don't know how you can be so stupid, every time I hitch up a trailer I throw the hazards on before i get out just to make sure the lights are working. Especially because trailer light wires always corrode like crazy and stop working.

revelations
05-27-2011, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
i hate following people without brake lights... once i was stuck behind a guy without them and i kept finding myself riding his ass cause i never knew when he was braking. he didnt like how close i was stopping to his bumper so he started brake checking me... without brake lights. that was fun :banghead:

finally got around him and he fingered me! hrm... if the guy has had issues with people riding his ass maybe he should check out his truck to see if there is a reason its happening :dunno:

So instead of doing what common sense dictates - leaving extra room behind the vehicle - you chose to drive closer.

Personally, I would have left so much room behind this guys that someone else couldve merged in and dealt with the situation.

Most people have no idea about their vehicle lighting status.

I tend to check behind me when I back to park somewhere with large glass windows to see if all my lights are working properly.

ercchry
05-27-2011, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by revelations

So instead of doing what common sense dictates - leaving extra room behind the vehicle - you chose to drive closer.

it was between two sets of lights, stop and go, didnt choose to drive closer, it became that way when he started brake checking... and since i know where my vehicle is at all time i had no issues staying off his bumper

ExtraSlow
05-27-2011, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by kvg
Inspections so half the people on here can replace their exhaust, remove tint, raise lowered car/Lower truck to fit into proper height restrictions, etc? In BC Air care was good for people having to trailer performance cars and/or getting them detuned before annual inspection then tuned after. Just my take.:dunno:
I don't mind inconveniencing people who make this type of modification to their road car.

M.alex
05-27-2011, 03:16 PM
OP is stupid, half of the posters in this thread are stupid.

Yea, mandatory inspections. Great - more costs, more headaches. Just what we need. Also, let's do BC's air care while we're at it :rolleyes:

OP - if you found yourself almost slamming into him, then you only have yourself to blame - there's no such thing as a sudden traffic slowdown - look ahead, note traffic is coming to a stop and prepare. Don't fvcken come barreling down deerfoot only looking at the car infront of you, failing to realize everybody is already stopped.

God, some of you people here :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

ExtraSlow
05-27-2011, 06:43 PM
:love: :love: :love: :love:

alloroc
05-27-2011, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by M.alex
OP is stupid, half of the posters in this thread are stupid.

Yea, mandatory inspections. Great - more costs, more headaches. Just what we need. Also, let's do BC's air care while we're at it :rolleyes:

OP - if you found yourself almost slamming into him, then you only have yourself to blame - there's no such thing as a sudden traffic slowdown - look ahead, note traffic is coming to a stop and prepare. Don't fvcken come barreling down deerfoot only looking at the car infront of you, failing to realize everybody is already stopped.

God, some of you people here :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Spot on.

alloroc
05-27-2011, 07:04 PM
Oh and wtf does a couple of burnt out lights have to do with the vehicle manufacturer. They pretty much all use the same suppliers.

Even car interiors and car interior technology has been contracted out on many models in several different makes for years.