PDA

View Full Version : Computer re-starts randomly

G-ZUS
05-27-2011, 10:03 AM
I've had this computer for ~3 years now. Formatted not too long ago, running XP with Norton for Antivirus. Recently it's been re-starting randomly. What can this be? Any suggestions?

Afrodeziak
05-27-2011, 10:50 AM
Is your computer full of dust? I've seen this happen when heatsyncs underneath fans are so caked that they just overheat and restart. ie. everytime a video was run, cpu went under load and the computer reset.

You can also try removing all sticks of ram and booting with just 1 stick in the first slot.

Kloubek
05-27-2011, 10:54 AM
Are there any conditions which it restarts? Ie: Playing games, etc.

There are likely two possible reasons this is happening:
1) Heat - as already mentioned. Make sure the fan is running and everything is clean.
2) Lack of power from the supply.

Usually, #2 will only happen when doing something that draws more power... like a video game or graphics applications. Unless, somehow, the power supply is just not feeding enough overall power anymore. (Which I kinda doubt)

Should it not be one of these two things, I would then start looking at things like the motherboard, etc.

You may want to try booting in safe mode and see if it continues to die.

arian_ma
05-27-2011, 10:59 AM
Agreed, first thing I would do is spray the dust out of the computer. You can use a vacuum cleaner for this if it has the ability to reverse air flow, if not buy a spray can of air.

Zhariak
05-27-2011, 11:01 AM
Here's a question...

Why not provide us with some details as to what you mean by restart?

Does the screen just flash when it's running and restart? Does the operating system shutdown and then restart?

Does the computer get the BSOD (Bluescreen of Death) and then restart?

G-ZUS
05-27-2011, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Zhariak
Here's a question...

Why not provide us with some details as to what you mean by restart?

Does the screen just flash when it's running and restart? Does the operating system shutdown and then restart?

Does the computer get the BSOD (Bluescreen of Death) and then restart?

It restarts as if you press select from the shut-down menu? Does that make sense?

mushi_mushi
05-27-2011, 11:27 AM
If it just reboots at random times there is a good chance its the power supply. Like others mentioned, there may be a chance that your pc is overheating but I think this is less likely. Could be bad ram, but again less likely. My computer recently started doing this and I concluded its the PS. One way to check if this is the case is after the next time your computer shuts run event viewer. Start >>Run>> "eventvwr"
or you can access event viewer through control panel>>system and security>>administrative tools>>Event Viewer>>system

Look at the events with the red exclamation mark, double click it, if it says something like "kernal power" its probably your power supply. You can also install a program to allow you to monitor internal temperatures.

AzNxHyDrA
05-27-2011, 11:28 AM
Like the others said its most likely a heat issue. Right when u boot up ur computer u should be able to get to the options window. Like I do that by pressing del on my computer it could be f4 or anything really. In there u should be able to view pc health stats and it'll show ur cpu temperature. I think comps restart when they're over 60 or 70 degrees

Zhariak
05-27-2011, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

It restarts as if you press select from the shut-down menu? Does that make sense?

Ya it makes sense...

If it's doing that (a proper shutdown and restart) that means that a peice of software is starting a restart sequence...

Typically, if it was any kind of failure, or heat issues, etc... The computer would simply freeze, or instantly reboot (not shutting down, just off as if u killed the power)...

I know that some time ago there were a few viruses (ex. Nimda, someone correct me if im wrong), that actually would restart your computer continuously to piss you off. Keep in mind, a window would pop up saying "Restarting computer in 15 seconds"...

Check to see if your anti-virus is up to date. If it's not, go out and buy it (DONT type in your credit card number on a site if your comp is infected).

With all this being said, there's a chance some stupid piece of software (not a virus) is doing this.

G-ZUS
06-03-2011, 11:39 AM
Last night was using it and all of a sudden I just got a bright green screen. Weird.

Time for new computer I guess!

snoop101
06-03-2011, 12:09 PM
Windows xp also has an option that if it runs into any errors that it will auto reboot. When I used to overclock xp machines I would make sure this is off. Its really picky, so even the smallest issue reboots it.

should be in control panel -> System -> advance system properties -> startup and recovery -> under system failure

(this was taken from my win7 machine, but I think xp is the same)

mr2mike
07-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Power supply.
Fried my old work computer and the IT guy had to replace my power supply transformer. Easy swap.

eblend
07-06-2011, 10:20 AM
Could also be leaky caps, I would check on those first. (didn't read all the responses, sorry if it was mentioned)

http://macmedics.com/images/imac-logicaboard-with-leaking-capacitors.jpg

revelations
07-06-2011, 11:12 AM
What are you using the machine at the time it restarts... anything intensive?

Install a program called SPEEDFAN and report to us (or screen capture) the temps of various components.

BeyondNewB
08-23-2011, 02:34 PM
What was the solution?

Check the application, System logs?

G-ZUS
09-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by BeyondNewB
What was the solution?

Check the application, System logs?

I kind of forgot about it, went to go on it yesterday, computer won't boot but fans and power lights are on

OCDP
09-09-2011, 08:27 AM
Had a similar problem a while ago, same symptoms more or less. Turned out to be a fried mobo.

I'd start looking at things like GPU, PSU, ram, etc. first to narrow it down.