PDA

View Full Version : great way to start my friday... f u city of calgary

sh0ko
05-27-2011, 04:56 PM
hi guys

im just posting this to get a little advice from u guys

heading towards dt on bowtrail and 37th... theres a massive pot hole.. due to the rain this morning i did NOT see this pot hole and struck it (doing about 50) ... it has bent my rim pretty nicely and funny enough 2 of my other co workers as well

im just wondering what exaclty i need to do to get the city of calgary to pay for this

ive heard of plenty of beyond members/friends having the same issues before with ccraptastic potholes in the city and city of calgary ended up reimbursing

so far ive taken pics of the damage
i will be hunting that pot hole right after work and taking pictures of it as well

anybody know exactly who i call at city of calgary and what the procedure is??

2nd.. anybody know a good shop where i can bring this to repair?

please keep the douchebag comments to yourself im simply asking for help and im fairly disgruntled from this as is

http://www.members.shaw.ca/vcllee/calgaryisgay.jpg

J-D
05-27-2011, 05:00 PM
It's pretty hard to prove the city to be at fault, but possible.

kvg
05-27-2011, 05:08 PM
Start by taking a photo of the pothole depth and size(bring a tape measure), then try your luck. It's probably not going to happen though:thumbsdow

tbomb
05-27-2011, 05:12 PM
hammer that dent back in

Unknown303
05-27-2011, 05:16 PM
Yeah document that location like crazy. You have to prove without a doubt that they neglected repairing the road in time to prevent accidents.

I was that hole a little while back driving in my Jeep and I was pretty concerned about it.

Mckenzie
05-27-2011, 05:47 PM
I had something similar happen on crowchild when they were paving and had all the manhole lids exposed. I smoked one at about 90km and boy oh boy did that make a noise...and dent. There was no sign saying protruding manholes either or colored rims.

The next day I drove down crowchild with digital camera on my steering wheel and took pics of everything and started a claim. It took about 3 months, but I did end up getting about $1300 back. It was a contractor who was doing it, so the city paid me and went after them. Your situation is a little different, but document it and make your case.

adidas
05-27-2011, 05:56 PM
City didnt pay me for shit when 12th street looked like a war zone.

Funny enough they saw nothing wrong with the road and never reimbursed me for the damage, yet a month after they repaved the entire 12 st from mcknight to 32nd st.

sh0ko
05-27-2011, 06:39 PM
Well *update*

I went to take pictures.. Funny enough i bumped into two more people with pictures from yesterday and day before showing the growth of the pothole. Which btw is half the lane. One guy took a picture of his entire arm sunk in the pothole. Ill update pictures of pothole when me an

dj_rice
05-27-2011, 07:22 PM
Heres the process

Taken from this link

http://www.globalregina.com/Vehicle+damaged+pothole+city+could/4538671/story.html

To submit a claim to the city, you must first call 311 and an adjuster from the city law department will contact you to investigate.

The city says each claim is judged on its own and there is no set formula to decide if it will accept responsibility.

“There’s a lot of factors that go into it,” says David Corbett, City of Calgary. “How the pothole is there, where the pothole is, where it was addressed, where notice was given and each of those questions when answered will take the investigation into a different direction.”

Despite the low number of payouts, drivers can improve their chances of being reimbursed by the city by taking pictures or video of the pothole, the area around it, the damages to their vehicle and reporting the incident immediately.

Once the city decides to pay a claim the cost is not negotiated.

The city says the compensation is based on repair costs so you have to keep all of your receipts

Cos
05-27-2011, 07:30 PM
I had to fight the city for damage done to my car. Pretty much the city sent me a letter back that said; "fine, take us to court and see who wins, you are operating the vehicle thus it is your responsibility. If you think otherwise see you in court"

I had our corporate lawyer check it over and he said to forget about it. The damage isnt worth the cost to fight it and the city knows it.

Unknown303
05-27-2011, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Cos
I had to fight the city for damage done to my car. Pretty much the city sent me a letter back that said; "fine, take us to court and see who wins, you are operating the vehicle thus it is your responsibility. If you think otherwise see you in court"

I had our corporate lawyer check it over and he said to forget about it. The damage isnt worth the cost to fight it and the city knows it.

You should have sent that letter from the city to the news, I bet they would have changed their stance in a second.

canadian_hustla
05-27-2011, 09:29 PM
wow that is brutal. You weren't the only one that was unlucky today, as a similar thing happened to me - I royally fucked up one of my 18" rims on the train tracks on 52nd st.

Tire was totally flat and is bulging. Not to mention that I didn't notice it so I drove with it until it was totally flat and fucked the tire. I HOPE that my car is OK.

What a day... :(

Dumbass17
05-27-2011, 09:32 PM
check this out
japan..road repaired in 6 days lol

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/24/japanese-repair-quake-ravaged-road-in-just-six-days/

maxwinedog
05-27-2011, 09:51 PM
Roads in this city are like driving over a landfill. So many gaping potholes with the diameter of a beachball just left unfixed. Drivers give you wierd looks if youre constantlu swervig Round them but i dont care. So many just run over them like their car is nothing

The city doesnt give a damn, otherwise they would be fixing these trash roads. Instead they would rather be putting up 20 million dollar pedestrian bridges.

Maxx Mazda
05-27-2011, 09:59 PM
I bent two of my rims on an unmarked exposed manhole on CHB a few years back. Documented everything VERY well (which it sounds like you've done) and filed a formal claim with the city. The city informed me that it was a contractor doing the work and put me in touch with them. (BRT construction.) long story short, after pestering the shit outta BRT, I got an entire new set of rims as my current ones at the time (Axis NE-O in white) were discontinued.

Good luck.

03ozwhip
05-27-2011, 10:31 PM
bad fucking timing vic. text me, we will talk.

calgarydub
05-28-2011, 12:38 AM
Hey can you post pictures of the pot hole?

I drive on this road a lot.... This west LRT expansion in the SW is so brutal to lowered cars, I scrape my skid plate 3 or 4 times before I get out of the construction, as well as the pot holes and road that has sections taken out of it... its brutal.

revelations
05-28-2011, 01:31 AM
If its something that happened within the last few days or weeks because of the weather or something, then youre SOL unfortunately.

If its something that has been present for months OR is caused by neglegence on the part of the city (exposed MH lids) .... then you have a case. '

But for all the whiners about the roads in Calgary....I used to drive a car that was SLAMMED to about 5" of ground clearance (bought it used this way).

It was the DUMBEST thing ever to do to a vehicle in Calgary and to top it off, the guy had 40 series tires on it.

I raised the suspension last year (1" below stock height) and its been so much better.

This isnt California, we have shit roads and shit weather 12 months of the year.

FraserB
05-28-2011, 01:37 AM

RecoilS14
05-28-2011, 09:55 AM
I hit that same stupid pothole yesterday, luckily for me tho, i was going super slow. There is another HUGE pothole/dip/poorly made patch on Bow trail southbound in the right lane, just after 26th street. That unfortunately, i didnt hit slowly and almost caught some air. Very glad i wasnt driving my 240 when I hit it.

Scat E46
05-28-2011, 10:00 AM
Well at least you post the pictures on a car forum...

Girls generally don't care.

03ozwhip
05-28-2011, 10:07 AM
^^wtf??

Scat E46
05-28-2011, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
^^wtf??

LOL.

I guess he's not a huge fan of me for whatever reason, decided to talk badly about me to this one girl. Problem is, they had just met, and she finds me perfectly fine.

He then sent her and her friend these pictures of his broken rim looking for a sympathy card.

Victor, not sure what your deal is, but there is no need to threaten me with your "friends". So childish - I haven't said two words about you, nor have I started anything. If there is something you'd like to discuss, please talk to me, not through her or her friend. I'm sorry the way you acted led to you to lose any chance with that girl.

As you were, good luck with your rims.

Unknown303
05-28-2011, 10:56 AM
OH SHIT. LOOKS LIKE WE HAVE SOME DRAMA!!!!

BigMass
05-28-2011, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Scat E46

LOL.

I guess he's not a huge fan of me for whatever reason, decided to talk badly about me to this one girl. Problem is, they had just met, and she finds me perfectly fine.

He then sent her and her friend these pictures of his broken rim looking for a sympathy card.

Victor, not sure what your deal is, but there is no need to threaten me with your "friends". So childish - I haven't said two words about you, nor have I started anything. If there is something you'd like to discuss, please talk to me, not through her or her friend. I'm sorry the way you acted led to you to lose any chance with that girl.

As you were, good luck with your rims.

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv12/JackoTheDweeb/MichaelJacksonPopcorn.gif

flipstah
05-28-2011, 11:23 AM
Pictures of said pothole?

And Scat...

http://realforum.cheatengine.org/files/oh_shit_232.gif

sh0ko
05-28-2011, 12:24 PM
Hahahahahah o scat. I wasn't looking for no sympathy card. They simply txted me about the psyc assignment and I said I wasn't in no mood to talk and sowed them that picture of y. Big deal? Hahahahahah

sh0ko
05-28-2011, 12:30 PM
Second of all that friend is not exactly telling u everything. Haha now drama aint my deal but I never said anything bout getting my "friends" to help.. her exact words were "I don't really like that guy either" . And 3rd of all if u have something to say say it to my face hahaha as I don't like u because of all the shit u like to talk on the internet and I belive 3/4 of beyond.ca thinks the same. and 4th do u really want me posting the shit u were txting them in class? sorry but if anyones being childish its the one once again on the internet starting shit... hence the bans...

Back to topic plz

update:

phoned 311

someones gonna b phoning me monday and starting a claim/investigation from there... now apparently the guy said that wasnt the first report and call they got about the pothole and it wasnt marked till LATE afternoon (on my way home from work)

talking to another "pothole victim" now haha.. hes gonna be sending me the pictures of his arm submerged inside the pothole when it was filled with water

heres a picture of it yesterday afternoon

http://www.members.shaw.ca/vcllee/pot1.jpg
http://www.members.shaw.ca/vcllee/pot2.jpg
http://www.members.shaw.ca/vcllee/pot3.jpg

heres a picture of it 12 hours later from the initial pictures with the water drained out

http://www.members.shaw.ca/vcllee/bad1.jpg
http://www.members.shaw.ca/vcllee/bad2.jpg
http://www.members.shaw.ca/vcllee/bad3.JPG
http://www.members.shaw.ca/vcllee/bad4.JPG
http://www.members.shaw.ca/vcllee/bad5.JPG
http://www.members.shaw.ca/vcllee/bad.JPG

Scat E46
05-28-2011, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by sh0ko
[B]Second of all that friend is not exactly telling u everything. Haha now drama aint my deal but I never said anything bout getting my "friends" to help.. her exact words were "I don't really like that guy either" . And 3rd of all if u have something to say say it to my face hahaha as I don't like u because of all the shit u like to talk on the internet and I belive 3/4 of beyond.ca thinks the same. and 4th do u really want me posting the shit u were txting them in class? sorry but if anyones being childish its the one once again on the internet starting shit... hence the bans...

You have me blocked on FaceBook, I don't have your number, nor do I know your hangout spots, and as you posted the rim picture on beyond, I thought I'd mention it. This is my only means of communication.

Yeah, I talk a lot of shit on the internet, that's for sure. It's all car related. I would also say it to someones face if I didn't like their HID kit stuffed into their ricey civic. (My main point on Beyond).

Enjoy the rest of your day.

sh0ko
05-28-2011, 01:14 PM
LOL u have my pm dont u?

Unknown303
05-28-2011, 01:15 PM
You guys should just make out and get over each other.

On another note that hole isn't as deep as I thought it was but at over 4 inches that would really fuck up some car rim/tire combos.

Sugarphreak
05-28-2011, 01:20 PM

sh0ko
05-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
The only way the city is liable is if there was a complaint filed prior to the incident and they did not issue an order out to repair it.

btw, my Friday was much worse than yours, lol

hmmm fml

phoned the longest time and city of calgary just kept jerkin me around giving me the wrong info till someone finally gave me 311

and care to share?

Originally posted by Unknown303

On another note that hole isn't as deep as I thought it was but at over 4 inches that would really fuck up some car rim/tire combos.

not sure if this counts

sorry for the blur
http://www.members.shaw.ca/vcllee/pot10.JPG

Unknown303
05-28-2011, 01:31 PM
Ah so it's around 6 inches deep then? Or is that jsut at the edge then?

sh0ko
05-28-2011, 01:32 PM
thats one thing i documented poorly. the front corner varies in height from 4.6-5.5 inches that was the deepest portion near the front. in terms of length i measured from front to back 4 ft 7 inches long

diamondedge
05-29-2011, 02:45 AM
...you weren't kiddin, that hole is DEEP

Hopefully the city fixes this and gets you some money back.

chkolny541
05-29-2011, 05:10 AM
with all the shit weather going on, itll be destroying roads all over calgary, hopefully you get something back, but i wouldnt hold my breath if i were you.

CUG
05-29-2011, 05:45 AM
When the city adjuster tells you it's not their liability, tell them that you're smart enough to know that liability is determined in court, that you'll settle for whatever you want. If they wont meet it, take it to court. Fair warning, they will go to court if your claim is stupid and pull costs out of your ass when it's all over if they win. (not me, idiot pal from high school who tried it)

Tram Common
05-29-2011, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Scat E46

You have me blocked on FaceBook, I don't have your number, nor do I know your hangout spots, and as you posted the rim picture on beyond, I thought I'd mention it. This is my only means of communication.

Yeah, I talk a lot of shit on the internet, that's for sure. It's all car related. I would also say it to someones face if I didn't like their HID kit stuffed into their ricey civic. (My main point on Beyond).

Enjoy the rest of your day.

Jesus Christ... Beyond has to be the most childish and downright drama filled forum in the world... only here could some guy's post about a bent wheel turn into a high school Internet bitch fight. :clap: :rofl:

heavyfuel
05-29-2011, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Tram Common

Jesus Christ... Beyond has to be the most childish and downright drama filled forum in the world... only here could some guy's post about a bent wheel turn into a high school Internet bitch fight. :clap: :rofl:

X2 maybe the parties involved should each fill out one of these

http://kristinachilds.com/pdf/Hurt-Feelings-Report.pdf

Stunt66
05-30-2011, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Tram Common

No Shit!!! Nice subtle way of bringing that BS in here scat

Sucks about your rim shoko and by the looks of it the city probably won't be handing over a check too easily.

sh0ko
05-30-2011, 11:19 AM
^thanx

apparently according to my friends mother who works for the city

she stated that if the pot hole is big enough where they need to mark it off or close the lane it is no longer considered a pot hole but rather damage to the road and if someone gets into an accident there before they mark it off or close it they are considered liable and must pay and will easily hold up in court. my friends mom told me city has been taken to court on something like this countless times and 95% of the time loses

so hopefully my luck will turn a bit

im still waiting for the citys phone call today.

BokCh0y
05-30-2011, 11:24 AM
Vic - sorry bout the rim man, that sucks.

But seriously...that is a huge pothole!!!

nickyh
05-30-2011, 11:52 AM
it was marked with a cone this morning and something else that was laying in the lane. So we had to 1) avoid the hole and 2) whatever was in the road - note to self tomorrow: stay in the right lane until we pass it.
Then move into the left lane to avoid the dips just past 26th Street.

shakalaka
05-30-2011, 12:14 PM
I drive on that road a load, where exactly is this pothole (what is around it)? I guess I have been lucky so far cause haven't hit it. My 20's won't hold much, but I am very careful driving in that stretch where the LRT construction is going on. I try and go super slow.

nickyh
05-30-2011, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka
I drive on that road a load, where exactly is this pothole? I guess I have been lucky so far cause haven't hit it. My 20's won't hold much, but I am very careful driving in that stretch where the LRT construction is going on. I try and go super slow.

Bow Trail heading east, just after 45th street in the left lane is the monster pot hole. By the time you drive by DQ you are past the hole.

We were lucky we were able to swerve around it (6.20am so no real traffic).

sh0ko
05-30-2011, 03:29 PM
^ yup i actually hit it friday at around 6am (tons of traffic unable to swerve) and on top of that the massive amounts of pouring rain at the time and the filled pothole with rain water.. = 0 visibility or alert of the pothole

no markings either or signs or anything of such sort