PDA

View Full Version : LA Weight Loss vs Weight Watchers vs Herbal Magic etc

KappaSigma
05-30-2011, 11:44 AM
I am looking at getting my mom to try one...

Anyone have any past experience on their results? Prices? etc

max_boost
05-30-2011, 11:55 AM
How serious is she about weight loss? All the information you need to know is already online so there really isn't a need to go on a program and spend $500+.

It comes down to, willpower, putting down the fork and eating healthy. Exercise is optional lol

KappaSigma
05-30-2011, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
How serious is she about weight loss? All the information you need to know is already online so there really isn't a need to go on a program and spend $500+.

It comes down to, willpower, putting down the fork and eating healthy. Exercise is optional lol

Honestly she has little....so making her go to something weekly etc is needed....

nismodrifter
05-30-2011, 02:39 PM
And once she goes off / leaves this program? Thought about what would happen there? My neighbor has tried multiple programs, and everytime she finishes with that shit she balloons up again.

Longterm lifestyle modification needs to be discussed if she plans on losing the weight and keeping it that way.

wintonyk
05-30-2011, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
And once she goes off / leaves this program? Thought about what would happen there? My neighbor has tried multiple programs, and everytime she finishes with that shit she balloons up again.

Longterm lifestyle modification needs to be discussed if she plans on losing the weight and keeping it that way.

This is 100% the truth. Behavioral modification is the key. Anyone can lose the weight its keeping it off thats the challenge. Until those habits become part of who you are (your mom is ) she won't see long term success.

Of the programs out there weight watchers is by far better than LA Weight loss (basically by our crap food for over inflated prices) and Herbal Magic (not losing weight? take more pills).

Check your PM.

KappaSigma
05-30-2011, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

I agree. However, losing the weight is the 1st step. If she cant commit to anything...than there can be no step towards a lifestyle change...

Easier to commit when yous ee results...one way or other.

s_havinga
05-30-2011, 03:15 PM
I have seen people be very successful with both LA and weight watchers but everyone I know that has done these things has been very motivated to get rid of the weight. without proper motivation your just setting yourself up for failure.

G-Suede
05-30-2011, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by KappaSigma
I agree. However, losing the weight is the 1st step. If she cant commit to anything...than there can be no step towards a lifestyle change...
Easier to commit when yous ee results...one way or other.

The first step, and foundation for change, is to realize and accept that the current state is far more painful than the future state. If an individual is more or less comfortable with the current state, they have little reason make a wholesale change from the inside out. There are psychological drivers that must be recognized, considered, and mitigated in order to achieve sustainable change. Otherwise, the individual may experience temporarily change, but unless they have achieved an internal paradigm shift, a return to their prior state is inevitable.

People often tolerate high degrees of pain simply because they don't understand and are more fearful of the many real or perceived commitments that change requires. Have your mom express how painful her situation has become and what fears occupy her mind. Then, once you've helped her consider everything, jointly seek a program with the success framework (education and support) that she personally requires.

This may sound cliche, but many people have benefited from a baseline understanding of diet and exercise by reading something along the lines of Body for Life, which will outline basic principles without requiring endocrinology and physiology doctorals.

A790
05-30-2011, 07:05 PM
G-Suede made a good post. Your friend needs to really assess what her priorities are and how that may fall into her weight loss.

I lost close to 60lbs in 6 months and kept it off by a long-term commitment to myself and my body. Conversely, I have friends who keep "losing" the same 20 lbs over and over again.

Think long term.

scboss
05-30-2011, 07:14 PM
yeah i wouldnt go the route of a quick fix. Get her a nutritionist way better that way she is not going on any extreme diets.