PDA

View Full Version : Is it me or is Calgary turning into a shit hole?

Pages : 1 [2]

ExtraSlow
06-01-2011, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by effingidiot
I have 2 questions:
1) If someone lives outside of an area bounded by 14 street on the west, 38 ave on the south, Bow Trail/Eau Claire/Riverfront ave on the north and Macleod Trail on the east are they considered to be living in Calgary?
2) Shall the aforementioned individuals have the right to complain about traffic/parking in Calgary? Perhaps, installing toll booths on major arterial roads is a far more viable option?

Wow, you're ending Calgary at the River on the North? I would think you should go to at least 16th ave North, since everything south of that was built in the 40's and 50's.

Supa Dexta
06-01-2011, 08:04 AM
There are dandelions all across the country this year.. Just a good (not bad) year for them.. Its a marketing thing more then anything..

DANDELIONS ARE BAD!!! BUY THIS! SPRAY THAT! SPEND SPEND SPEND!!!.. on a losing battle.

,,,umm they are just a little yellow flower.. Big deal, they aren't poisonous, they dont do anything really.. Except maybe brighten up the lawn a bit.. :whocares:

If you spend any amount of time in your day worrying about dandelions, you have too much time on your hands.

Sugarphreak
06-01-2011, 08:12 AM

heavyfuel
06-01-2011, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by tbomb
fuckin' whiteys

So now we have to sit here and take this racist comment? Works both ways. Don't fuckin' forget it.

codetrap
06-01-2011, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

They are an invasive weed and for those of us who spend literally thousands on trying to keep our yards looking half respectable it is frusterating to see the city let them getting out of control and as a direct result having to battle four times as hard to keep them off of our properties.

http://bp0.blogger.com/_EHfFM2qldDQ/RkEhaGv1-GI/AAAAAAAAAF8/G9O7umR0dMA/s320/hmgdLawn_and_GardenHand_ToolsAllHound_Dog_Weed_Hound-resized200.gif.jpg

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2/OutdoorLiving/GardeningTools/SpecialtyGardeningTools/PRD~0591503P/Hound%252BDog%252BOriginal%252BWeed%252BHound.jsp?locale=en

http://www.homehardware.ca/products/300/50484231.jpg

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2/OutdoorLiving/FertilizersGrassSeed/WeedControl/PRD~0593871P/Killex%252BAttach%252Band%252BSpray%25252C%252B1%252BL.jsp?locale=en

LilDrunkenSmurf
06-01-2011, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by effingidiot
I have 2 questions:
1) If someone lives outside of an area bounded by 14 street on the west, 38 ave on the south, Bow Trail/Eau Claire/Riverfront ave on the north and Macleod Trail on the east are they considered to be living in Calgary?
2) Shall the aforementioned individuals have the right to complain about traffic/parking in Calgary? Perhaps, installing toll booths on major arterial roads is a far more viable option?

So.. downtown?

So places such as Kensington, or Crescent heights aren't considered to be part of Calgary in your mind?

510-Trevor
06-01-2011, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Maybelater

Does anyone here have an example the amount of tax we pay in this city in comparison to the amounts other cities pay? I know we are pretty abrasive to tax in these areas but it usually doesn't mean anything...Alberta doesn't even have the lowest tax burden in Canada yet it easily has the biggest Conservative "small government/free market" mind set in the nation.
. :nut:
From 2000-2002 I live in Mississauga and owned my condo while there. It had an assessed value of $101000 and my property taxes were $1500/yr.
When I moved back here in 2002, I bought a house for $150000 with an assessed value of 156000. My property taxes here were only $1400/yr and have only climbed to $1800/yr since then.
Parking in Miss was much more of a problem than here, and Calgary traffic is nothing compared to anywhere in the GTA. Its laughable how much of a difference there is.

Sugarphreak
06-01-2011, 09:39 AM

snoop101
06-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Just got back from a Euro vacation. I dont want to start a war or anything with the people that were born in Calgary, but spending a week in BC and the 2 weeks in Germany and France it is amazing how bad Calgary is. German cities are much larger in population, yet are spotless. I do understand that we have a harsh winter and its harder to upkeep, but still. Anyways I hate Calgary with a passion and if it wasn't for real estate prices I would have sold and been long gone, but for now we have to wait it out.

I do have to admit that Calgary has a lot of sunny days. Thats pretty much it for positive from me.

dj_patm
06-01-2011, 12:40 PM
Cant agree with france. Its a dirty hole. Visit the actual city outside of tourist hotspots and you'll see. nice, paris, monoco (pretty much france). Sure the beach and the main streets arent bad but the rest is a fucking hole. Same with london.

Frankly I have yet to visit anywhere that I would like to live more so then calgary. Salt lake city was close but the 4 day long smog and pollution warning plus the over zealous religious fanatics and the coinciding laws put an end to that.

There is a reason that calgary routinly scores high on all those "top cities" lists, its cause its a great place to live.

Oh and its one of the cleanest cities in the world too, it even came #1 on that list a few years ago so I dont know where the dirty complaints are coming from. You complain about gravel, but complain about snow removal and raising taxes to move to better means of road upkeep during winter....

arian_ma
06-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Went for a jog into East Village today by the river....it's looking fully sick over there. The whole new path they built on the East side of Center and the destruction of all those nasty building + removal of all crack heads makes for a really nice extension to downtown.

Originally posted by snoop101
Just got back from a Euro vacation. I dont want to start a war or anything with the people that were born in Calgary, but spending a week in BC and the 2 weeks in Germany and France it is amazing how bad Calgary is. German cities are much larger in population, yet are spotless. I do understand that we have a harsh winter and its harder to upkeep, but still. Anyways I hate Calgary with a passion and if it wasn't for real estate prices I would have sold and been long gone, but for now we have to wait it out.

I do have to admit that Calgary has a lot of sunny days. Thats pretty much it for positive from me.
If you hide out in your house anywhere in the world, it's going to be shitty. You loved your travels because you were out and about doing things all day long. Once you fall into a routine, every city is only as good as you make it. If you make a list of things you can do in Berlin, and things you can do in Calgary, I feel the pros and cons will be very close, as long as you're an outdoor person. If you're not, well then you're in the wrong f'in country.

PS: This is coming from an avid ex Calgary-hater.

codetrap
06-01-2011, 01:50 PM
Where you live is what you make of it. If you want a spotless city, then start picking up the garbage. Want better fiscal management, then run for office on that platform. If you don't like something, then fix it. It's all about choices, and personal responsibility.

Nothing that I've read here so far is unfixable, if only the complainers bothered to put in the time to fix it.

Tram Common
06-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
Where you live is what you make of it. If you want a spotless city, then start picking up the garbage. Want better fiscal management, then run for office on that platform. If you don't like something, then fix it. It's all about choices, and personal responsibility.

Nothing that I've read here so far is unfixable, if only the complainers bothered to put in the time to fix it.

That would mean getting off the computer and going out into the real world though... something our generation doesn't know how to do.

Supa Dexta
06-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

They are an invasive weed and for those of us who spend literally thousands on trying to keep our yards looking half respectable it is frusterating to see the city let them getting out of control and as a direct result having to battle four times as hard to keep them off of our properties.

Well... jeeze.. I dont even know what to say to that.. You backed up my point 100%. :confused:

Because someone gave you the thought that they shouldnt be in your lawn, you spend 1000s to try to get rid of them.. An unwinnable fight at that, with the only outcome being spending money year after year. Why the hell should the city even care about them, when they aren't a damaging plant..?

Tik-Tok
06-03-2011, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta

Because someone gave you the thought that they shouldnt be in your lawn, you spend 1000s to try to get rid of them.. An unwinnable fight at that, with the only outcome being spending money year after year. Why the hell should the city even care about them, when they aren't a damaging plant..?

I don't like dandelions in my lawn, for the same reason I don't like random other flowers in my lawn. That's what the garden is for, my lawn is for grass, and looks best like that.

I'm also the kind of guy who doesn't put stickers on my car. For the same reason. It looks best without.