PDA

View Full Version : Time-sert thread repairs in the city?

89s1
05-31-2011, 04:58 PM
Anyone know a place that will do time-sert thread repairs in this city?

Looking to get a ruined thread repaired on a block and think that this will hold the cylinder pressures better than a helicoil.

Also...

Anyone have experience with helicoil repairs to a head stud in a 3-400whp 4 cylinder?

did it hold?

Found the kit online but its $360 and I only need one hole repaired.

Abeo
05-31-2011, 05:03 PM
If it were me, I'd consider having a machine shop drill/tap larger holes and going with a bigger head stud, especially on a boosted 4 cyl

89s1
05-31-2011, 05:15 PM
where do i get the bigger stud?

arp sells them in one size for my application.

i could drill and tap it to m11x1.5 instead of m10x1.25 and use a b18a/b head stud but then it would be too long (I think)

dohc heads are taller than sohc heads and the dohc vtec are even taller than the non vtec dohc heads.

Thanks for the suggestion but i'm not certain how i would find a new single stud that would work (be the right length)

Abeo
05-31-2011, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by 89s1
where do i get the bigger stud?

arp sells them in one size for my application.

i could drill and tap it to m11x1.5 instead of m10x1.25 and use a b18a/b head stud but then it would be too long (I think)

dohc heads are taller than sohc heads.

Thanks for the suggestion but i'm not certain how i would find a new single stud that would work (be the right length)

If you were going that route, it would be custom would probably have to contact arp to find a stud set that'll work.

from a google search re: time-serts on H-T (http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1382274) :

I had 3 headstuds pull threads out of the block on my B series. I really didn't want to use a helicoil or some other type of repair on a headstud. So I went against everyone telling me the timesert was the way to go. After some researching...a $80 ARP 1/2" headstud kit and $200 worth of machine work fixed my problem the best way. Something to think about when running into this problem. Not that timeserts aren't good. But $380 just for the kit seams a bit pricey. I mean if it saves the block than yea it's good. I just chose to go with bigger studs due to the fact that my engine will be seeing a fair amout of boost (upward of 25psi).

bbcustoms
05-31-2011, 05:27 PM
I'm not 100% sure but I thought Cetus up in the NE did them. Give them a try that's all I can think of.

g-m
05-31-2011, 05:40 PM
definitely redrill and tap, i guarantee ARP makes the appropriate stud. Or you could get graded bar stock and get it threaded. Lots of options, timeserts and helicoils just aren't the best ones.

Maxx Mazda
06-01-2011, 09:15 AM
Arp makes an almost infinite number of stud sizes. Drill larger and re-tap. I don't know hondas, is it an aluminum block?

crapstixs
06-01-2011, 01:04 PM
been there done that, get a new block.

the last time I helicoiled a b16, I had to get two coils down the hole. that required me to make a installer out of a old head bolt. and weld a 1/4 extension on to the tap. it kinda sucks destroying a $80 kit for a hit or miss repair.
Im sure the time-sert kit is like $500. and again hit or miss. For $500 you can buy a new block.

Keep in mind alot manufactures have tsb's stating if the threads pull out, replace the block.

If you drill and tap bigger, there is a good chance the nut and washer will not fit in the hole through the cam journal.

89s1
06-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Not really as simple as getting a new block, this one has had a bunch of recent machine work done.

Thinking the larger stud option is a good one, I'm going to email ARP right away.

This is a sohc head, not a dohc head they are slightly roomier where the nut and washer sit.