PDA

View Full Version : I have a screw in my tire...

D'z Nutz
05-31-2011, 11:25 PM
I was detailing my car this evening and noticed there was what appears to be a screw or bolt or some kind of metal piece on the outer edge of the tire where the treads end. I was going to pull it out but it looks like I was out of the tire patch strips so I couldn't fix it so I just left it in. I did the soapy water test and it doesn't look like any air is leaking out and after taking a closer look at the screw, it looks really worn down so it's possible it may have been there for a while.

Should I be concerned, or should I play it safe than sorry and patch it up properly?

EK 2.0
05-31-2011, 11:32 PM
D., if it is too close to the sidewall the tire should not be repaired and just replaced....

And if you still have you Subaru...you will probably need to replace all four to keep the AWD system happy depending on how old all the tires are....

D'z Nutz
05-31-2011, 11:47 PM
Is this too close to the sidewall?

http://www.typicalfish.com/images/beyond/tire.jpg

And yeah, this is on the subie. Just ~35K on the tires.

Tik-Tok
05-31-2011, 11:48 PM
I've been driving with a screw in my subaru's tire for a year and a half now, lol. Hasn't lost any air at all. It's about the same spot as yours as well.

lellowrx7
05-31-2011, 11:56 PM
taker to kal tire
they'll fix it for free if its fixable

and no thats not to close to the sidewall your good to go.
if its on the crown its fixable, if its on the edge of the crown its questionable, if its on the wall your f'ed

googe
06-01-2011, 12:57 AM
That looks really easy to patch on the spot (don't need to remove the tire). I had a similar wound, and the patch lasted until the tires were bald, but it started getting leaky once the temps dropped.

Rat Fink
06-01-2011, 05:51 AM

97luder
06-01-2011, 07:15 AM
it depends on which way it went it if it went in straight your good if it went is side ways and hit the side wall then you should replace the tire

kal tire fixes tires for free ???

schocker
06-01-2011, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by 97luder
kal tire fixes tires for free ???
When I had a screw in my tire last year they fixed it for a food donation. Was very nice of them and was done same day, compared to some other shops that wouldnt fit me in for days and days and those were not free like this.

z2two
06-01-2011, 09:44 AM
kal tire usually asks you if you bought the tire from them originally, if you say yes they will do it for free.

Kloubek
06-01-2011, 09:47 AM
I'm pretty sure nearly all places would charge for a repair. But I do think it is worth it, as one day it is entirely possible that metal will pop out and you'll be left with a flat tire. Better to attack it now while it is still holding.

And I agree - doesn't at all look too close to the sidewall in my opinion.

J-hop
06-01-2011, 10:38 AM
yea as mentioned it definitely looks fixable. Even if they charge I couldn't see it being more than $20

93VR6
06-01-2011, 10:45 AM
You can buy as tire fix kit at cad tire for ~ $10, I have fixed over 6 tires with it so far and still have rubber left for at least 3 more tires.

ercchry
06-01-2011, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
But I do think it is worth it, as one day it is entirely possible that metal will pop out and you'll be left with a flat tire. Better to attack it now while it is still holding.

:werd:

had it happen to me, hit a pretty big bump on deerfoot right before my exit, tire went flat about 6 blocks from home, limped it home and took off the wheel, took it in to see if they could fix it but once they popped the tire off the rim i saw all the damage i did driving on the flat.... whoops

D'z Nutz
06-01-2011, 11:51 AM
Thanks guys. The original question wasn't whether or not it was fixable. It was if I should fix it.

Kloubek and ercchry make a good point. I'll spend a couple bucks now go patch it up instead of risking driving it flat and having to spend more replacing it later.

n1zm0
06-01-2011, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Is this too close to the sidewall?

imo that is perfectly fixable, when i worked at a dealership, the crappy tire type plugs saved many a tire, i still ahve 1 in my winters that have gone through 2 seasons worth, haven't leaked since.

edit: and regarding leaving it in, as others said, just fix it as soon as you see one because one day youll be driving on deerfoot rush hour monday in the left lane then all of a sudden flat, you dont wanna be that guy trying to get into the right pull over lane.

Bizzareo
06-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Take it to the tire shop at north hill (cant remember the name, but its a chain). They will fix it for free (a non perishable food item that goes to the food bank).