PDA

View Full Version : Backsplash Problem

2.2vtec
06-02-2011, 10:15 PM
Father in law decided to help do some back splash in the washroom so we thought it would look good to do one row of 6 by 12 tile above the vanities.

Problem is he forget to put the chrome edging that goes on the side and top of the tile to give it a clean look.

The backsplash tile has now set...Is there a product that i can get to clean up the edges after the tile is on or do i have to rip it out and install again?

C_Dave45
06-02-2011, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by 2.2vtec
Father in law decided to help do some back splash in the washroom so we thought it would look good to do one row of 6 by 12 tile above the vanities.

Problem is he forget to put the chrome edging that goes on the side and top of the tile to give it a clean look.

The backsplash tile has now set...Is there a product that i can get to clean up the edges after the tile is on or do i have to rip it out and install again?

You're talking about Schluter edging? It has to go on when the glue or thinset is fresh. Only other option is leave it the way it is. Grout that edge, and you can later paint it. Although that's a very "diy" look. Schluter is the way to go.

2.2vtec
06-02-2011, 10:32 PM
Yes it is the Schluter edging. Is it worth it to rip it out and redo it?

C_Dave45
06-02-2011, 11:53 PM
Well its up to you, if you like the look or not. To rip the tile out, you'll destroy the drywall. You'll have to replace it, as well, most of the tile will likely break.

2.2vtec
06-03-2011, 08:39 AM
Anyone know if there is a product like the Schluter edging but can be simply put on top of the edge of the tile?

benyl
06-03-2011, 08:46 AM
Dave installs tiles for a living. He would know if there was anything. Asking other people is pointless.

JRSC00LUDE
06-03-2011, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by benyl
Dave installs tiles for a living. He would know if there was anything. Asking other people is pointless.

Yup, Dave is as good as it gets. Consider his opinion gospel.

BrknFngrs
06-03-2011, 10:00 AM
Couldn't a person "modify" the edging a bit so they could just use some kind of adhesive to bond it to the edges of the tile? Obviously it wouldn't be as strong but I would think it would give it the same look and let them avoid ripping out completed tile.

e31
06-03-2011, 10:05 AM

I only know of two kinds of backsplash. Thank god this thread wasn't created in Ask Leo.

CapnCrunch
06-03-2011, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs
Couldn't a person "modify" the edging a bit so they could just use some kind of adhesive to bond it to the edges of the tile? Obviously it wouldn't be as strong but I would think it would give it the same look and let them avoid ripping out completed tile.

I think your option is to just rip it down or slowly chisel out some grout around the edges to put the schulter in behind. Why not just leave it? It can't look that bad unless you were sloppy. I did a backsplash without schluter before, turned out nicely.

2.2vtec
06-03-2011, 10:55 AM
We are doing the grouting this weekend so I guess we will grout and see how it looks.

I'm going to run to home depot and see if they a chrome strip of metal the same width as the schulter edging that perhaps can go over top the tile instead of behind.

eblend
06-03-2011, 11:16 AM
Can just modify the correct stuff and cut the back down so that it doesn't go under the tile and sticks out just enough for grout. Glue it on with some adhesive and it will look identical.

mr2mike
06-03-2011, 11:26 AM
You're gonna spend a lot of time messing around with the aluminum strip to cut it down to get it to look right.
Otherwise, it will look higher than the tile edge or slant down or up. There's a reason why they make it how they do.

I tried this with plastic edging on a project and didn't work too well. My advice is to tape off and silicone it. It will look good. Just not Beyond balla.

Did my bathroom, forgot to get that stuff as I was mastik'ing. Laid the tiles... ran to home depot... came back measured, cut and managed to squeeze it onto place. Close call but that could have been done.

Stunt66
06-03-2011, 11:52 AM
It all depends on the tile and cutter he used, but if he's asking for help i'm pretty sure it looks nasty. If you use a traditional score and snap tile cutter you normally end up with a pretty ugly edge and grout won't really help it. You could try and cut the backing off the schluter but that would be a pretty brutal job(can be done though) all you need is a hack saw and a file to file down the edges afterwards.

C_Dave45
06-04-2011, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs

If you're talking about taking off the "channel" part of the schluter, that wont work. With the metal schluter, it starts to warp when you take off the channel. And to bond it to the flat tile edge....nope..it'll just pop off over time. You CAN try that with the plastic schluter, but again, its the bonding that might not last.

Originally posted by CapnCrunch

I think your option is to .....slowly chisel out some grout around the edges to put the schulter in behind..

This IS an option. I have done it before, it takes a little skill and patience. I just used my diamond blade on my mini grinder and ground away the glue/thinset in behind the tile about 3/4" deep. Filled it with fresh thinset and then embedded the schluter down into it. Try it a few times dry first. You might need a few passes to get enough thinset out of there. Best to use a dremel type tool. Something like this:

http://dailycontributor.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Dremel-6300-02L-Dremel-Multi-Max-Oscillating-Tool-Kit-Photo.jpg

Originally posted by Stunt66
It all depends on the tile and cutter he used, but if he's asking for help i'm pretty sure it looks nasty. If you use a traditional score and snap tile cutter you normally end up with a pretty ugly edge and grout won't really help it. You could try and cut the backing off the schluter but that would be a pretty brutal job(can be done though) all you need is a hack saw and a file to file down the edges afterwards.

*shudder*. Never EVER have a "cut" edge exposed like that. Always use a factory edge. If you're cutting down a tile for a vanity splash, always have the cut edge on the counter. Don't try to use a "double-cut" piece. You always only get two "good" edges if you're cutting strips.

And the advice of silicone on the edge of the tile?? NEVER use silicone! EVER!! You cannot paint over the silicone. Where it "creeps" onto the wall..any new paint will "flash" over the silicone. Always use dap. Looks almost like silicone but it can be painted. I see idiot tile setters use silicone where tile meets the ceiling, or a wall....I'd fire any of my guys that ever did that.

TomcoPDR
06-04-2011, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

And the advice of silicone on the edge of the tile?? NEVER use silicone! EVER!! You cannot paint over the silicone. Where it "creeps" onto the wall..any new paint will "flash" over the silicone. Always use dap. Looks almost like silicone but it can be painted. I see idiot tile setters use silicone where tile meets the ceiling, or a wall....I'd fire any of my guys that ever did that.

Dave, I've seen this alot in restaurant bathroom tile jobs. (where the tile is half up)... So can you use silicone if you're not planning to paint over that edge? (or wall is already painted, and you're just setting tile on top)

Know what I mean?

C_Dave45
06-04-2011, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Dave, I've seen this alot in restaurant bathroom tile jobs. (where the tile is half up)... So can you use silicone if you're not planning to paint over that edge? (or wall is already painted, and you're just setting tile on top)

Know what I mean?

Yeah, but then what happens when you want to re paint the wall some time down the road? You can't because it will flash where the silicone is. Silicone should never be used against a painted surface. Dap.

2.2vtec
06-05-2011, 04:27 PM
Went to home depot and found aluminum strips exactly similar to the top half of the schutler edging but they were too wide (double the width i needed)

Does anyone know a place what might supply metal stripping?

garnet
06-06-2011, 12:21 AM
sounds like there is some space above the tile now, why not look at getting a bull nosed edge tile that matches what you have (look at same make/model range) or one that accents it
then just re-grout
it's typically a 3" tall profile, and as mentioned above, you want to protect that end of the tile already set in

edit: here's a pic from online showing what i mean
http://www.muswell-hill.com/foxandco/images/ct02trmt.jpg

for that matter, you could run a small accent tile along the top edge, and be able to then schluter the top edge proper

Went to home depot and found aluminum strips exactly similar to the top half of the schutler edging but they were too wide (double the width i needed)

Does anyone know a place what might supply metal stripping?

2.2vtec
06-06-2011, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by garnet
sounds like there is some space above the tile now, why not look at getting a bull nosed edge tile that matches what you have (look at same make/model range) or one that accents it
then just re-grout
it's typically a 3" tall profile, and as mentioned above, you want to protect that end of the tile already set in

edit: here's a pic from online showing what i mean
http://www.muswell-hill.com/foxandco/images/ct02trmt.jpg

for that matter, you could run a small accent tile along the top edge, and be able to then schluter the top edge proper

This is actually a really good idea!I thinks thats what i'll do. I have enough pieces left to cut the tile in half with the remaing pieces and use it as a boarder using a brick style. That way i can add the edging.

garnet
06-06-2011, 06:35 PM
sounds good
just remember to get a schluter edging that overlaps (extends past) the thickness of your tile, so you dont have an exposed sharp edge
i prefer the brushed aluminum over chrome or plastic myself IMO
typically once you've set the top row with schluter edge, and spacers in place to prevent tiles moving, gently tap the schluter down to get a tight fit
good luck man! :thumbsup:

This is actually a really good idea!I thinks thats what i'll do. I have enough pieces left to cut the tile in half with the remaing pieces and use it as a boarder using a brick style. That way i can add the edging.

Stunt66
06-09-2011, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

*shudder*. Never EVER have a "cut" edge exposed like that. Always use a factory edge. If you're cutting down a tile for a vanity splash, always have the cut edge on the counter. Don't try to use a "double-cut" piece. You always only get two "good" edges if you're cutting strips.

Easy there fella, i never suggested putting a cut edge on top.