PDA

View Full Version : Stop Harper!

ZenOps
06-03-2011, 07:31 PM
http://beta.images.theglobeandmail.com/archive/01282/web-throne-page_1282612cl-6.jpg

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-notebook/stop-harper-placard-gets-senate-page-turfed-from-throne-speech/article2046548/

Stealth22
06-03-2011, 08:17 PM
Thats funnier than the time Ralph Klein threw a Liberal policy book at a page, saying "I don't need this crap!" :rofl:

EDIT: Found this in an article.

Later, Klein said: "I ought not to have thrown the Liberal health policy at our page Jennifer, and to Jennifer, I apologize most sincerely. ... And I also apologize for referring to the document as crap, Mr. Speaker.":rofl:

kvg
06-03-2011, 08:30 PM
STOP DEMOCRACY?

What a looser. :facepalm:

TorqueDog
06-03-2011, 08:44 PM
She explained she feels the Conservative government’s policies on the environment, social programs and the military are destructive, and that civil disobedience is needed to try and stop them.

“Extreme circumstances call for extreme measures,” Ms. DePape said in an interview. “I think that everywhere is the right place to resist the Harper government.”Yeah, except that the rest of the country clearly doesn't feel that way as they voted in a majority government. You're the minority, get lost.

ZenOps
06-03-2011, 08:47 PM
Is it just me, or does the red velvet carpet look pretty bunched up and in need of maintenance?

ExtraSlow
Meh, her, and the people working with her put in a lot of time and effort to say something. So well, good for them.

The fact that it didn't result in any meaningful change, and thus their efforts were wasted, doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I it makes me feel kind of smug . . .

Go Democracy? :goflames:

tictactoe2004
Originally posted by TorqueDog
Yeah, except that the rest of the country clearly doesn't feel that way as they voted in a majority government. You're the minority, get lost.

x2

Hakkola
06-03-2011, 09:05 PM
Yeah, except that the rest of the country clearly doesn't feel that way as they voted in a majority government. You're the minority, get lost.

It might be a "majority" government but didn't they get less than 50% of the vote? They got the majority of seats but only 38% of the vote I believe. In which case people that don't want Harper as prime minister probably are in the majority, not minority.

I don't care about politics, but I like facts.

kenny
06-03-2011, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

It might be a "majority" government but didn't they get less than 50% of the vote? They got the majority of seats but only 38% of the vote I believe. In which case people that don't want Harper as prime minister probably are in the majority, not minority.

I don't care about politics, but I like facts.

If you like facts, then you'll probably already know it is no different than the last few Liberal majority governments. They sat at pretty much the same popular vote (39 - 41%).

So why is it an issue today?

List time the popular vote was a majority was 1958 at 53.7% or 1984 if you consider 50% a majority.

calgary403
06-03-2011, 09:41 PM
I'm still waiting for the long gun registry to get scrapped. Maybe I'll hold my breath.

Hakkola
06-03-2011, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by kenny

If you like facts, then you'll probably already know it is no different than the last few Liberal majority governments. They sat at pretty much the same popular vote (39 - 41%).

So why is it an issue today?

List time the popular vote was a majority was 1958 at 53.7% or 1984 if you consider 50% a majority.

It's not an issue, I don't care who the prime minister is.

I do consider 50% a majority when it comes to votes, or anything else that uses the term. If less than 50% of people that voted, voted for his party it's likely that most people don't want him leading the country.

ma·jor·i·ty   
[muh-jawr-i-tee, -jor-]
–noun, plural -ties.
the greater part or number; the number larger than half the total ( opposed to minority): the majority of the population.
a number of voters or votes, jurors, or others in agreement, constituting more than half of the total number.
the amount by which the greater number, as of votes, surpasses the remainder ( distinguished from plurality).

The use of the word 'majority' was incorrect which is my problem with the statement. They have the majority of the seats, but by no means did they have 50% of the vote, and we're talking about the number of Canadians that want Harper leading the country.

Torquedog's statement was a fallacy and I was just pointing it out.

snoop101
06-03-2011, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by calgary403
I'm still waiting for the long gun registry to get scrapped. Maybe I'll hold my breath.

+1

what a waste of money.

kenny
06-03-2011, 09:57 PM

The use of the word 'majority' was incorrect which is my problem with the statement.

Looks like it was used correctly to me. The current Government is a majority, and that is a "fact" ;)

Hakkola
06-03-2011, 10:05 PM
The number of people that voted for him were a minority, hence people that don't want Harper in power are likely not a minority. Where is the error in my logic?

One does not require a majority vote in order to gain a majority of seats, so "majority government" != majority of the population which TorqueDog's statement implies.

kevie88
06-03-2011, 10:39 PM

It's not an issue, I don't care who the prime minister is.

I do consider 50% a majority when it comes to votes, or anything else that uses the term. If less than 50% of people that voted, voted for his party it's likely that most people don't want him leading the country.

You are correct sir. It's just that less people wanted either of the liberalish parties to lead. The most votes went to the Conservatives.

masoncgy
06-03-2011, 10:58 PM
My god, how many times does it have to be said?

Popular vote means dick all in our system. It's the results of 308 individual 'first-past-the-post' races that determine our government, majority or minority.

The majority of the races were won by the Conservatives, fair and square.

That's it. End of story. Don't like it? Change the system or STFU.

:)

Maybelater
06-03-2011, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by masoncgy
My god, how many times does it have to be said?

Popular vote means dick all in our system. It's the results of 308 individual 'first-past-the-post' races that determine our government, majority or minority.

The majority of the races were won by the Conservatives, fair and square.

:werd:

Why is it always the young left-wingers that pull these stunts?

revelations
06-03-2011, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by masoncgy

In the UK recently they tried to change it to a popular vote system.... but that got voted down. :dunno:

01RedDX
06-04-2011, 12:29 AM

PGTze
06-04-2011, 12:52 AM
The number of people that voted for him were a minority, hence people that don't want Harper in power are likely not a minority. Where is the error in my logic?

One does not require a majority vote in order to gain a majority of seats, so "majority government" != majority of the population which TorqueDog's statement implies.

Come on now Hakkola, I've been on here reading your posts for almost a decade now and I have to say I agree with what you post 99% of the time. Although you are 'technically' correct, the reality is the current federal government is a majority regardless of what you may believe. The definition of majority you have used here is all fine and dandy, but that does not apply to Canadian politics at all unfortunately. I can sort of see where you're going here, but it's a stretch at best.

(no conservative apologist)

Hakkola
06-04-2011, 02:19 AM
I have no issue with first past the post, I was taking issue with someone being told to shut up because they were in the minority, when that isn't necessarily true, and said something because minorities are important in a democracy too, regardless of who you voted for the people elected still represent you and answer to you.

I used to term used, "majority" to pick apart the post because it was a stupid thing to say to someone, again, I don't have a problem with the system or who was elected.

If it wasn't for Harper's willingness to increase prison populations I would have went out and voted for him.

Originally posted by 01RedDX

More importantly, we haven't heard any great ideas from anyone recently, we should discuss that instead. Discuss why it's arguably the most stable democracy in the world. We're also not the USA, which is kind of a fact.

I wonder if any organization measures this, I did a quick google and couldn't find any. I'm not saying you're wrong, genuinely curious.

ZenOps
06-04-2011, 07:54 AM
Canada has historically been a three party system.

Meaning that 33.4% to 40% would constitute a majority most of the time.

If it was a five party system - 20.1% would be the majority. Bring in the green party and fracture the west with the wildrose and the future may be five party.

But with technology, I am very surprised that we do not have a popular vote for main issues yet. Its not hard to attack a dozen optional popular vote items to the ballot like "Continue the war in XYZ?" or "Legalize IT?" or "Nuclear power?" as yes/no.

jutes
06-04-2011, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Maybelater

:werd:

Why is it always the young left-wingers that pull these stunts?

Can't find a job that contributes to society so they must use this BS 'new generation movement' crap to justify their hatred for anything but lefty government.

TorqueDog
06-05-2011, 12:35 AM
Torquedog's statement was a fallacy and I was just pointing it out. I said it was a 'majority government'. Show me how it is not, according to Canadian politics, a 'majority government' and I will gladly change my post.

93VR6
06-05-2011, 03:46 AM
True "majority" governments rarely exist in Canada, the last time that happened was 1984 when Mulroney got 50.03% of the popular vote.

ExtraSlow
06-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by 93VR6
True "majority" governments rarely exist in Canada, the last time that happened was 1984 when Mulroney got 50.03% of the popular vote.
For fucks sake, no.
A government who wins more than 50% of the seats is a majority government. End of story.

getting a majority of the popular vote is a totally different matter.

masoncgy
06-05-2011, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

For fucks sake, no.
A government who wins more than 50% of the seats is a majority government. End of story.

getting a majority of the popular vote is a totally different matter.

I have a feeling this little piece is going to be mentioned more than once in this thread... it's like some people are thick and just don't get it.