PDA

View Full Version : Sand /Gravel on Roads!

Wannago
06-06-2011, 06:46 PM
Has anyone else noticed the city's efforts to "beautify" our city - in particular all the sweepers they have employed to sweep the grass along the curbs / medians, throwing all the winter's pea gravel and sand back onto the roads?

I can understand how this is good for the grass, but the city doesn't even arrange to have street sweepers come by shortly afterwards to pick up all the gravel.

Not only is this obviously hard on a vehicle's paint, it is downright dangerous to bikers.

I was just in McKenzie Towne, and the traffic circle and the streets towards High Street etc. are absolutely terrible. Gravel roads in the country have less gravel on them.

I remember hearing how the annual street cleaning would be delayed substantiually due to the long winter we had, and on this note, I struggle further to understand the logic of the city's actions. With proper planning, a street sweeper could have made a single pass and been able to pick up all the gravel. But, the gravel was not picked up right away and is now spread all over the roads. So, the sweepers - IF they come out to clean the streets, will have to cover the entire road to get it all. I know that in McKenzine Towne, the roads were already given their annual cleaning, and they are now worse than they ever were all winter. I predict they won't even bother; they'll just let it all get spread out, and our paint and windshields will pay the price.

Its just a matter of time until some biker dumps it due to this gravel....and if it were ME, I'd be suing the city big time!

But, at least now all the dandelions are able to flourish along our roadways.

/rant

Unknown303
06-06-2011, 07:19 PM
They always sweep the grass first. Its kind of how they roll.

BokCh0y
06-06-2011, 07:27 PM
^^^^

This is true.

BlackArcher101
06-06-2011, 08:24 PM
Are you sure it was the city that swept the dirt/gravel onto the already swept roads? The city doesn't maintain all boulevards I believe, and some developers are responsible for it and contract it out.

Wannago
06-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101
Are you sure it was the city that swept the dirt/gravel onto the already swept roads? The city doesn't maintain all boulevards I believe, and some developers are responsible for it and contract it out.

Good point. I know they routinely do this, I've just never seen this much crap left on the roads before.

Stealth22
06-06-2011, 09:27 PM
Call 311. Probably won't help much, but its worth a shot. :dunno:

skandalouz_08
06-06-2011, 09:37 PM
I actually was on twitter today talking to someone from 311 and they are sending someone out to look. Bow Trail is currently covered in rocks and gravel and I saw the street sweepers go by last night. So no idea what they were doing, but definitely didn't help clean anything up.

sillysod
06-06-2011, 09:42 PM
I brought my Audi home for the weekend b/c Sunday was supposed to be nice.

Got to drive through all that shit on the way to work this morning. The potholes in the traffic circle by the firestation are bad enough, never mind the asshole in the jacked up cummins with stacks rolling coal and spraying rocks on my car. :( Good thing I don't drive it in the winter.:banghead:

Wannago
06-06-2011, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by sillysod
I brought my Audi home for the weekend b/c Sunday was supposed to be nice.

Got to drive through all that shit on the way to work this morning. The potholes in the traffic circle by the firestation are bad enough, never mind the asshole in the jacked up cummins with stacks rolling coal and spraying rocks on my car. :( Good thing I don't drive it in the winter.:banghead:

I've seen that asshat in that truck as well! Was a couple months ago, and there was another car between he and I, and he did the hero "spin the tires on gravel" as he was exiting the circle.

I remember thinking how glad I was that I wasn't right behind him. I think I've seen that truck parked at a house in New Brighton.

sillysod
06-06-2011, 10:28 PM
unfortunately our area is full of patch trash with their big dog programmers cranked on "9" for the commute to sobeys.

btimbit
06-07-2011, 12:33 AM
I was through Mckenzie tonight as well. They had street sweepers out about an hour ago.

chkolny541
06-07-2011, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by Unknown303
They always sweep the grass first. Its kind of how they roll.

Masked Bandit
06-07-2011, 08:12 AM
I thought it was just my imagination but it seems like there is far more gravel on the roads much later in the season this year compared to anything in recent memory. It also seems like there are way more dandelions (sp?). Am I crazy or does anyone else think the city isn't cleaning up like it used to?

94boosted
06-07-2011, 08:24 AM
So that's what it is :nut: I was wondering why the roads were quite good for the last couple weeks but in the last few days why the traffic circle and McKenzie Towne Blvd look worse than they did all winter.

88CRX
06-07-2011, 08:44 AM
I hope they're not done sweeping in that area.... roads are still a mess!

kevie88
06-07-2011, 11:08 AM
I made it through the whole winter just to have an artillery shell sized rock crack the window yesterday :( sigh.

Oh well, it should be all cleaned up by October or November!

heavyD
06-07-2011, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX
I hope they're not done sweeping in that area.... roads are still a mess!

They don't do areas twice so if they went through once they won't come again you just have to accept that the city employees aren't really concerned about doing a good job. They just did my area yesterday and missed a lot. It appears they only stick to the curb and don't clean the middle areas of intersections where gravel also accumulates. That and some of the sweepers that aren't in good shape leave lines of sand and gravel. You would think city employees get paid like auto mechanics where they have alloted times to complete the work as it looks like they blazed through as fast as possible and left.

Also amazing how many people that are too lazy to park in the driveway despite signs all over the community to stay off the streets.

Xtrema
06-07-2011, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by heavyD
Also amazing how many people that are too lazy to park in the driveway despite signs all over the community to stay off the streets.

Don't know about your area, my area got less than 48hr notices. Sign went up and cleaners were here next day.

heavyD
06-07-2011, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Don't know about your area, my area got less than 48hr notices. Sign went up and cleaners were here next day.

My area got four days notice. If an area only got 48 hours notice it's likely because the road crews finished the previous area faster than anticipated. Maybe there's a race competition amongst city workers?:dunno:

CapnCrunch
06-07-2011, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

http://www.cocnmp.com/spring_cleanup/

Scat E46
06-07-2011, 02:21 PM
To the bikers you have to be careful - on the way to work today didn't feel like changing lanes as there is so much gravel

94_S14
06-07-2011, 02:42 PM
they have done a brutal effort this year, in previous years i remember my street being complete in the first week of may and usually seeing steet cleaning signs up around April 20th in my area.

No signs to date, still a mess everywhere and yes these piles of excess dirt are everywhere... What the hell is going on? Its not too safe for bikes and most of our cars, the sand/dirt has already put me sideways numerous times taking corners and changing lanes...

heavyD
06-07-2011, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by 94_S14
they have done a brutal effort this year, in previous years i remember my street being complete in the first week of may and usually seeing steet cleaning signs up around April 20th in my area.

No signs to date, still a mess everywhere and yes these piles of excess dirt are everywhere... What the hell is going on? Its not too safe for bikes and most of our cars, the sand/dirt has already put me sideways numerous times taking corners and changing lanes...

Call 311 and complain. It's the only way to get things done in this city.

94boosted
06-08-2011, 09:34 AM
I think the city read this thread because the traffic circle in McKenzie towne and the boulevard has had the gravel removed :thumbsup:

88CRX
06-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted
I think the city read this thread because the traffic circle in McKenzie towne and the boulevard has had the gravel removed :thumbsup:

Yup haha.... they did a 'better' job but there's still shit everywhere.

btimbit
06-10-2011, 09:02 AM
I only got less than 48 hours notice as well, and the site didn't help because on the website it says it's going to happen on the 16th.

CapnCrunch
06-10-2011, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Scat E46
To the bikers you have to be careful - on the way to work today didn't feel like changing lanes as there is so much gravel

I just about bailed in the middle of an intersection last night. Nice puddle of gravel as I was making a left turn.

ExtremeSi
06-10-2011, 09:56 AM
I've never seen huge piles of gravel and dirt on the roads like this ever before. I've been riding for 4 years and this is the worst spring I've had to ride in. Old Banff Coach Road by Bow Trail area really sucks.

hampstor
06-10-2011, 12:42 PM
Citizens of Calgary: shit we didn't have enough graders/sanders out last winter

City: We will put more graders/sanders on the road this winter. Also, we'll build a website so you can see where all our graders/sanders are.

Weather: Enjoy this extra snow in the spring Calgary!

Citizens of Calgary: City of Calgary, save us and proactively get out and clear/sand/gravel the roads!

City of Calgary: done.

Weather: sunny and warm, all the snow melts.

Citizens of Calgary: WTF where did all this gravel and sand come from?? It's never been this bad before!!

heavyD
06-10-2011, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by hampstor

Citizens of Calgary: WTF where did all this gravel and sand come from?? It's never been this bad before!!

Nice try but it's almost middle of June and they are just past half done and the snow melted two months ago.:rolleyes:

I've seen young kids on our street wipe their bikes on the gravel numerous times on the street and skin up their hands and knees to the point where I just sweeped a lot of it myself. This spring IMO has been a total disgrace.

gojetsgo
06-10-2011, 01:33 PM
They still have yet to sweep my community. That is supposed be happening the last week of June. :guns:

Guillermo
06-10-2011, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by hampstor
Citizens of Calgary: shit we didn't have enough graders/sanders out last winter

City: We will put more graders/sanders on the road this winter. Also, we'll build a website so you can see where all our graders/sanders are.

Weather: Enjoy this extra snow in the spring Calgary!

Citizens of Calgary: City of Calgary, save us and proactively get out and clear/sand/gravel the roads!

City of Calgary: done.

actually, the extra gravel on the roads is a result of half-assing it on snow removal... yea people were complain about that, but instead of plowing the roads like every other major city in north america, calgary's response was to *not* plow and instead simple dump rocks (not sand) all over the compacted snow...

so really, the lack of a decent snow removal policy is not only responsible for shit road conditions all winter, but now shit road conditions all spring and summer too! just imagine, 9 months of shit roads all because our city (and taxpayers, you know who you are) is too cheap to plow the fucking roads.

heavyD
06-10-2011, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Guillermo
actually, the extra gravel on the roads is a result of half-assing it on snow removal... yea people were complain about that, but instead of plowing the roads like every other major city in north america, calgary's response was to *not* plow and instead simple dump rocks (not sand) all over the compacted snow...

so really, the lack of a decent snow removal policy is not only responsible for shit road conditions all winter, but now shit road conditions all spring and summer too! just imagine, 9 months of shit roads all because our city (and taxpayers, you know who you are) is too cheap to plow the fucking roads.

In defense of the city they did plow much more this winter compared to years past. Honestly the problem IMO is the roads department itself. Barely any gravel should be used in March/April as snow typically melts very quickly but the city continues into April to use the same mix they used in January. Even in January if we get a light dusting of snow the trucks are out in full force dropping more gravel and salt and it's completely unnecessary as even at the worst of times dropping gravel is a quick fix as most of it has been dissipated to the curb after a bunch of vehicles pass over it.