PDA

View Full Version : SAIT courses, any recommendations?

teknical
01-17-2004, 01:45 PM
I'm going to be applying for SAIT very soon here for the Sept. semmester, prob by mon or tues for sure. I was thinking of Taking Business Admin or Business Admin - Automotive. Does anyone have any feedback from these courses? Also, does anyone have any other courses they wanna share with me, I'm not 100% sure on what I wanna do, and if someone mentions something interesting, I might change my mind. All feedback is welcome :)

max_boost
01-17-2004, 02:18 PM
RedlyneMr2 is in Automotive Marketing. It's a good program if you want a career in the auto industry. I believe it's a three year program with the last two completed in Barrie ONtario. It includes a co-op program so you work and make some $$$ between semesters. I'll allow him to explain more.

I'm finishing up the Business Administration diploma right now, and IMO, it was money well spent. We have quite a few Beyond members in that program including 2000impreza, acuraxx, blue devil2, acs-e36, big banana and a few more I can't remember at the moment. Upon completion you have the option to transfer to Athabasca, Devry, U of L to complete your degree.

Oh yah, in Business Admin, if you get a 3.2GPA in your first year, they automatically send you a nice cheque for $1000:bigpimp:

DJ Lazy
01-17-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Oh yah, in Business Admin, if you get a 3.2GPA in your first year, they automatically send you a nice cheque for $1000:bigpimp:

No one told me about this... :( :confused:

Oh well... Anyways, Boost is right. I am finishing up my final semester in the BA program aswell, and it is money well spent. It will give you a wide variety of potentials jobs when you get out of school. So its defineately a good choice. I had no idea what I wanted to do when I started school and this seemed like something that would be just a good basic grounding for a job after school..:thumbsup:

teknical
01-17-2004, 03:20 PM
Alright thanks for all this info guys, keep it coming! :)

Quick question, Can you just take the 4 year diploma at SAIT and then not do the transfer? or would you need to?

SwitchBlade
01-17-2004, 04:31 PM
They are trying to get the second year so you can take it here instead of at Barrie. Im taking Automotive marketing this fall maybe i will see you there.

max_boost
01-17-2004, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by DJ Lazy

No one told me about this... :( :confused:

I wasn't sure either until I opened my mail X-mas eve. Anyway, it was 3.0 for last year's students to get the scholarship, they are raising it to 3.2 for next year!!

teknical
01-17-2004, 04:53 PM
yea I'm very interested in the Automotive one, I'm really into cars. I'm just wondering if you took the basic BA if you could get into automotive after you finished school?

Dave P
01-18-2004, 03:12 AM
IMO, Sait is a waste of time. The business admin program limits your after diplom choices greatly.

I wish i had just upgraded my high school marks rather than gone to sait.

Just another opinion i guess.

max_boost
01-18-2004, 04:53 AM
I think the options available upon completion of business administration is very favourable. Accounting majors can transfer to U of C for Bachelor of Accounting Science or stay at SAIT to finish the Bachelor of Applied Business Administration. You will receive the CGA designation after the four years at SAIT. Alternatively you can also transfer to U of L (3.0 GPA required) or Athabasca University to complete one of there business programs. Given the current state of U of C and how competitive everything is, SAIT is very attractive for many people. Cheaper tuition, smaller classes and the guarantee of a business diploma with the said options above.

teknical
01-18-2004, 11:57 AM
yea people have been telling me to upgrade and then go to U of C rather then go to SAIT, but the business admin is pretty much the only thing I'm really looking at currently, as nothing else has really caught my eye at the moment. But so far the favour is high for SAIT, so I guess I'll be attending there this coming September.

ApexDrift
01-18-2004, 01:59 PM
SAIT blows the time tables blow! the campus blows! parking blows! the food blows! everything at the school BLOWS!~:thumbsdow :thumbsdow i had a one hour class at 8 then a 2 hour break another one hour class at 11, 3 hour break three hour class one hour break then 2 hour class... so basiclly i had class from 8 till 9 worst 4 months of my freaking life! but i was in the eng design and drafting tech program... i dontk now how the time tables are for business

Dave
01-18-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by teknical
Alright thanks for all this info guys, keep it coming! :)

Quick question, Can you just take the 4 year diploma at SAIT and then not do the transfer? or would you need to?

Im not sure what you are asking here but you can take 2 years in BA for the diploma then take UofL night classes at the SAIT campus to get a degree. I am not sure how many years of night classes this will take, I guess it depends on how many courses you take. Hope this helps your question.

I am in my 4th semester at SAIT in BA as well and I think that it is a really good program. I havent heard much about the automotive one.

teknical
01-18-2004, 08:32 PM
well on their website it says that the BA is a 4 year program.

TrevorK
01-19-2004, 09:30 AM
I think the options available upon completion of business administration is very favourable. Accounting majors can transfer to U of C for Bachelor of Accounting Science or stay at SAIT to finish the Bachelor of Applied Business Administration. You will receive the CGA designation after the four years at SAIT. Alternatively you can also transfer to U of L (3.0 GPA required) or Athabasca University to complete one of there business programs. Given the current state of U of C and how competitive everything is, SAIT is very attractive for many people. Cheaper tuition, smaller classes and the guarantee of a business diploma with the said options above.

Are the options favorable without further schooling? Not for any decent paying job.

max_boost
01-19-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by TrevorK
Are the options favorable without further schooling? Not for any decent paying job. According to SAIT it is, but statistics are often altered. IMO, ultimately it comes down to the individual whether success is garnered or not. There are no guarantees in life, regardless where you graduate.

A good example? Realtors, I know so many that don't even have a high school diploma yet are doing extremely well.

teknical
01-19-2004, 01:57 PM
yea, it you can sell, you will do very well. I just applied for SAIT, business admin for the fall 04, looking forward to it! :thumbsup:

missblondie
01-20-2004, 03:05 PM
i think it is all about personal preferance... i was accepted to commerce at UofC, but decided against it, because it is way to competitive right now. There are so many people that will graduate in these next few years that even with a degree it will be very tough to find work.

IMO, sait opens a lot of doors for a variety of different jobs, and the opportunity to complete your degree in many institutions... not to mention the smaller class sizes, and one on one interaction available with your instructors...

good luck next semester:thumbsup:

TrevorK
01-21-2004, 12:27 PM
According to SAIT it is, but statistics are often altered. IMO, ultimately it comes down to the individual whether success is garnered or not. There are no guarantees in life, regardless where you graduate.

A good example? Realtors, I know so many that don't even have a high school diploma yet are doing extremely well.

Statistics are altered at these schools. You have to go by the industry and people working in the field.

Of course you can find people who can make money with a highschool diploma, but on average no.

Just like on average, people graduating SAIT in business are probably looking at 8-12/hour to start. Look at some of the online postings (We have it here at NAIT so you should have it at SAIT).

LudeRoca
01-21-2004, 07:35 PM
Where and what can you do with a Automotive marketing degree. What kinds of jobs can you get and are they good paying jobs. Just asking cause i'm interested in taking this next year.

TrevorK
01-22-2004, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by LudeRoca
Where and what can you do with a Automotive marketing degree. What kinds of jobs can you get and are they good paying jobs. Just asking cause i'm interested in taking this next year.

The school will tell you what type of jobs grads get.

From there - go to those jobs, find out all your answers (Don't listen to what the school says they make).

hockeybronx
02-02-2004, 04:08 PM
SAIT has an open house on the 6th and 7th of February. You should stop in and see all the programs first hand before you make a decision.

nickyh
02-02-2004, 08:28 PM
Hey I'm sitting at SAIT right now doing the Bachelor of Applied Business Admin IT degree.
My company pays my school fees - yes I'm a bean counter but i'm 25 and own a 3 month old home in a semi estate area.
SAIT is great start but like every else, it takes time to get ahead.

teknical
02-03-2004, 01:30 PM
nicky, how was the business admin, did you start off with the diploma then move onto the bachelor?

nickyh
02-03-2004, 02:16 PM
Yip, did the two year BA course, majored in Accounting.
Took some time off, enrolled in the CGA program and since having a degree is an exit requirement it seemed natural to finish off with the Applied Bachelor degree. Better than taking the U of C degree since SAIT has all my education history.
The level of instruction varies but I find overall the SAIT students in the BA course (those in Acctg) typically take the classes more seriously so every one wants to be there.

A lot of people knock SAIT for being a technical school but at least I paid off my student loan pretty quick since I was not at university forever.

teknical
02-03-2004, 04:07 PM
nice, I'm looking forward to going into that course, how was it?

nickyh
02-03-2004, 07:40 PM
Depends on what you are strong at. I hated the mgmt classes, loved computers (never really had to go) and the acctg classes took attendence so you dared not skip.
All in all a great program - got a job right away and have been moving up ever since. I graduated in 99 and for my age, i have to show.

teknical
02-04-2004, 02:09 AM
great, looks like I should have a few good years ahead of me :thumbsup: :clap: