PDA

View Full Version : Gran Fondos - BC/AB - 2011

urban.one
06-10-2011, 07:51 AM
Any Beyonders participating in any of these?

www.rbcgranfondowhistler.com/

www.granfondoaxelmerckx.com/

www.rbcgranfondokelowna.com/

www.granfondohighwoodpass.com/

www.granfondorockies.ca/

scary_perry
10-16-2011, 10:02 PM
I will do these in 2012:

www.granfondohighwoodpass.com

www.granfondorockies.ca

The Merckx is cool. They have an option that lets you ride with Eddy!!!
:hitit:

urban.one
10-17-2011, 09:30 AM
Both of those Alberta events are decent routes. Its too bad the Highwood pass event is the same time as the Penticton Merckx event in 2012. And heres hoping that the GranfondoRockies event doesnt have issues with its timing systems again.

bigboom
10-17-2011, 12:32 PM
i'd like to do gran fondo whistler and kelowna next year, heard nothing but great things about them. the one i'd really like to do though is the gran fondo in LA.

scary_perry
10-17-2011, 07:25 PM
The NY City one looks cool too. George Hincapie rides that one.

The LA one has Levi Leipheimer I think.

bigboom
10-17-2011, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by scary_perry
The NY City one looks cool too. George Hincapie rides that one.

The LA one has Levi Leipheimer I think.

i think levi has his own gran fondo and thats the levi gran fondo...that one is supposed to be tough, lots of climbing :)

Penguin_Racecar
10-19-2011, 12:08 AM
I did the highwood pass one - good fun with a pretty gruelling climb. Might do it again next year!

bigboom
10-20-2011, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Penguin_Racecar
I did the highwood pass one - good fun with a pretty gruelling climb. Might do it again next year!

can anyone point out why the highwood pass gan fondo is worth doing? the only reason i ask is that you can ride that same route with no cars up until the middle of june since the road is closed...been debating whether or not to do it because of this.

urban.one
10-21-2011, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by bigboom

i think levi has his own gran fondo and thats the levi gran fondo...that one is supposed to be tough, lots of climbing :)

King Ridge
www.levisgranfondo.com

can anyone point out why the highwood pass gan fondo is worth doing? the only reason i ask is that you can ride that same route with no cars up until the middle of june since the road is closed...been debating whether or not to do it because of this.

Events are fun. With some, there is the factor of being able to ride a route that you might not ordinarily get a chance to do without traffic. However, its the same concept as a running race - why pay money to run 10k or a half or full marathon? Because its a fun atmosphere, you get out amongst like minded people, you push yourself and see your limits and see how you did against others, etc.

98type_r
10-21-2011, 09:54 AM
http://shop.cascade.org/content/events/stp

STP - Seattle to Portland Bicycle Classic

At 10,000 riders I believe this is the largest ride of its kind, I haven't done it yet but it's definitely on my list.

Penguin_Racecar
11-06-2011, 08:48 PM

It's fun riding with 200+ people at a time? You can ride any route or road race course whenever you want, but this is timed, has excellent support (food stations, sweep crew, etc). I'd say the route is more interesting than the other gran fondo that is in Alberta, due to the scenery and elevation change.