PDA

View Full Version : Where can i rent a standard?

BigKate
06-10-2011, 10:53 AM
Wanting to learn to drive manual to see if its for me. Ive called all the rental places and they said no one in calgary rents standards anymore.

Troll-ol
06-10-2011, 10:55 AM
even cheaper, just go on kijiji and find a 100 dollar car and practice with that?

dino_martini
06-10-2011, 10:58 AM
Buy a manual beater off Kijiji? :dunno: Rent a wreck?

J-hop
06-10-2011, 11:24 AM
doubt you'll find one, I know enterprise doesn't have a single standard vehicle.

The problem is people such as yourself who are not good standard drivers yet and after a few of you renting the vehicle its going to need a new clutch :)

edit: also is the fact that everyone that can drive can drive an auto, but not everyone that can drive can drive a standard (or even wants to for that matter) if you ever notice when you call a rental company and set up a booking they can not guarantee you a certain make/model because they don't know what you are going to get almost right up until you walk in (with the number of people going in and out all day and vehicles coming from and going out to other locations to meet reservation needs), therefore they don't want someone who can't and/or doesn't want to drive a standard coming in and all they have left is some standard car which is going to have to sit there until the ideal customer comes in to rent it who can and wants to rent a standard.

InRich
06-10-2011, 12:15 PM
Dude... I learned how to drive a manual by taking used cars off used car lots for 1 hour spins, shady lots... Actually I learned to drive on a Mazda 323 Turbo from an unnamed used car place in Calgary. they let you take them out without anyone there.

btw those 323 Turbos are fucking fast, from what I remember. this was back in high school.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-10-2011, 12:17 PM
Europe.

dandia89
06-10-2011, 12:34 PM
i took lessons with AMA a few years back, its not that expensive and they usually give you good tips.

Troll-ol
06-10-2011, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by InRich
Dude... I learned how to drive a manual by taking used cars off used car lots for 1 hour spins, shady lots... Actually I learned to drive on a Mazda 323 Turbo from an unnamed used car place in Calgary. they let you take them out without anyone there.

btw those 323 Turbos are fucking fast, from what I remember. this was back in high school. fast compared to what? Friend had one and my stock talon was alot faster.

know1edge
06-10-2011, 01:09 PM
just go to the dealership for a test drive

BigKate
06-10-2011, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

After thinking about it and speaking with others, I dont think getting a standard car is a good idea at all for me. Mainly cause im a very new driver, only been driving for 10months now. And I have A.D.D. so i tend to lose my concentration at times even driving my auto. Im an O.K. driver right now but not experienced at all and I definitely have lots of room for improvement. Ive noticed theres some times where i may be in a sticky situation and can get a bit nervous behind the wheel for a couple secs.

So I was told and i think myself too, its best for me to get more exp as a driver first before even touching a standard cause right now I i really just need to focus on the road.

Dont want to be putting myself at a high risk with standard and my fresh new driving record. In my 10 months driving, ive already had a couple close calls as far as my bone head moves, due to losing concentration behind the wheel.

Thats why i dont let myself drive too much in a day.

chkolny541
06-10-2011, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by BigKate
Thanks for the feedback.

After thinking about it and speaking with others, I dont think getting a standard car is a good idea at all for me. Mainly cause im a very new driver, only been driving for 10months now. And I have A.D.D. so i tend to lose my concentration at times even driving my auto. Im an O.K. driver right now but not experienced at all and I definitely have lots of room for improvement. Ive noticed theres some times where i may be in a sticky situation and can get a bit nervous behind the wheel for a couple secs.

Dont want to be putting myself at a high risk with standard and my fresh new driving record. In my 10 months driving, ive already had a couple close calls as far as my bone head moves, due to losing concentration behind the wheel.

omfg.. Please stay off the roads, buy a bus pass

gojetsgo
06-10-2011, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by chkolny541

omfg.. Please stay off the roads, buy a bus pass

:facepalm:

Grogador
06-10-2011, 02:10 PM
Standard is better, more fun and forces you to concentrate :thumbsup: Being a new driver has more to do with confidence and awareness than operating a shifter. Don't give up on it so easy.

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
Europe.

:rofl:

Sasuke_Kensai
06-10-2011, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

So I was told and i think myself too, its best for me to get more exp as a driver first before even touching a standard cause right now I i really just need to focus on the road.

Speaking out of my arse here, but driving a manual might actually help - that is, rowing through the gears might keep your mind occupied or the like. (I'm not sure exactly what ADD entails).

While I don't know if I have ADD, I often have troubles concentrating/focusing in life. When I drive auto, my mind/body tends to get bored and sluggish from being less active.

uptown.
06-10-2011, 02:21 PM
driving a manual will make you pay more attention to the road, not allowing you to take your phone out or eat while driving the car.

Guillermo
06-10-2011, 02:24 PM
trolled.

gojetsgo
06-10-2011, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by uptown.
driving a manual will make you pay more attention to the road, not allowing you to take your phone out or eat while driving the car.

Once you get the hang of it, you can do all the above at the same time. I did.

tehwegz
06-10-2011, 02:35 PM
we all have a little ADD, I know I have ADD...or ADHD, or whatever the hell, I dont even know the difference.

I almost ran a couple reds because of driving auto and day dreaming. I was also tired, and I'm sure if I were driving a manual I would be more alert. So the other week I bought a manual car...

worth a try...

J-hop
06-10-2011, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by tehwegz
we all have a little ADD, I know I have ADD...or ADHD, or whatever the hell, I dont even know the difference.

I almost ran a couple reds because of driving auto and day dreaming. I was also tired, and I'm sure if I were driving a manual I would be more alert. So the other week I bought a manual car...

worth a try...

I find this to be true, I've been noticing in the last few years that I might have a moderate case of ADD, I find with a standard your mind is always consciously or subconsciously being stimulated, with an auto because I don't have that constant stimulation my mind tends to wander. I especially notice this on the highway, with an auto and cruise control you basically have noting to do other than steer, where as with a standard you've got to downshift for steep hills etc.

I think this would be a very interesting psychology project.

master hec0
06-10-2011, 08:24 PM
learned to drive in a automatic got tired of the boring auto and was driving a 5 speed by 16. manual is so much better and it makes it harder to be a distracted driver and better fuel economy.

Maybelater
06-11-2011, 03:18 PM
lol moderate ADD, you guys don't know what you're talking about.

OP, if you're serious, as a person afflicted with ADHD: Yes driving a manual does help, its more stimulating thus keeps you more focused on the task, then if the only thing you are doing is pressing the gas pedal and the break pedal.

cam_wmh
06-11-2011, 06:19 PM
OP, self pics help.

Mar
06-11-2011, 08:06 PM
My ex wanted to learn how to drive a manual so the bought a $12,000 car, had the guy deliver it to her work and when she got off I showed her how to drive it in the parking lot in 30 minutes. The next day she drove to work on her own and last night she was telling me just how much she loves it.

I know A1-Honda has standards, I had one when my car was in for repair. You'd have to be crazy to want to give them your business though, the only 2 times I was there I couldn't get served. One time I couldn't get the woman behind the counter away from her hamburger long enough to talk to me.

BigKate
06-13-2011, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Mar
My ex wanted to learn how to drive a manual so the bought a $12,000 car, had the guy deliver it to her work and when she got off I showed her how to drive it in the parking lot in 30 minutes. The next day she drove to work on her own and last night she was telling me just how much she loves it.

I know A1-Honda has standards, I had one when my car was in for repair. You'd have to be crazy to want to give them your business though, the only 2 times I was there I couldn't get served. One time I couldn't get the woman behind the counter away from her hamburger long enough to talk to me.

I do agree that A1 autobody has terrible, and I do mean TERRIBLE service. I know people who have called them before asking for parts and they would never call back after they said they would check their lot. Also leaving messages, good luck getting them returned. Almost seems like theyre just a bunch of grumpy old hacks not wanting to work in life.

InRich
06-13-2011, 04:47 PM
I hate A1 Autobody aswell. I would NEVER EVER give them my business again... EVER!!! :guns:

Mitsu3000gt
06-13-2011, 06:13 PM
Any competent person can learn to drive a standard in about 30 min. The key is also teaching them the basic mechanics, so that they can make their own corrections based on what they feel is happening. Go to a parking lot, have them ever so slowly release the clutch until the car grabs, then push it back in. Repeat until they are comfortable with the engagement point. Then just get them to add a bit of gas and complete the engagement, and that combined with a 5 min mechanics lesson, they should be good to go. I've taught a couple to drive standards who are the last people in the world you'd think were capable haha.

Most new standard drivers just panic on hills, but you get over that fast.

Don't let driving a standard scare you away from the car you want to buy. It forces you to stay focused though, so I don't know if that's good or bad for ADD.

J-hop
06-13-2011, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Most new standard drivers just panic on hills, but you get over that fast.

when I was a newb standard driver I used to hold the e-brake when on steep inclines and release as you let the clutch out. Makes it quite a bit easier when you don't have good throttle/clutch control yet.

black13
06-13-2011, 07:25 PM
Manual is definitely better for staying focused. I never feel sleepy driving one while auto, its easy to start day-dreaming like many do.

Cos
06-13-2011, 07:32 PM
is rent a wreck still around?

Mitsu3000gt
06-13-2011, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

when I was a newb standard driver I used to hold the e-brake when on steep inclines and release as you let the clutch out. Makes it quite a bit easier when you don't have good throttle/clutch control yet.

Yup, that's by far the best trick until you're comfortable.

wintonyk
06-13-2011, 10:00 PM
buy a standard, learn to drive it. thats what I did. I get so bored driving auto now.

beyond_ban
06-13-2011, 10:05 PM
Trollolololol?

If not i will teach you how to drive a manual for a very reasonable price, my winter beater is meant for times like these.

dandia89
06-14-2011, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by cam_wmh
OP, self pics help.
username is "BigKate" are you sure about that?

Mitsu3000gt
06-14-2011, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by dandia89

username is "BigKate" are you sure about that?

:rofl:

SportEL
06-14-2011, 10:21 PM
Wouldn't any place have like a 1-2 day course on driving standard?

adam c
06-14-2011, 11:41 PM

I never did that I just reved the shit out of my car an dpopped the clutch and swore and yelled at the people behind and in front of me

Maybelater
06-14-2011, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Cos
is rent a wreck still around?

Yep they are, I was shopping around and talked to them a few months back.

Commanderwiggin
06-15-2011, 12:35 AM

I did this as well when I was 14 when I was first learning to drive...and surprisingly I ended up doing this a month ago as well. It is a very useful technique especially if you ever drive a stick in downtown San Francisco...I drove on a couple hills that were 30% grade...f'n steep and made my balls tighten up when a retard decided to creep up inches from my rear bumper and the guy in front of me was rolling backwards in an auto lol.

Tik-Tok
06-15-2011, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by wintonyk
buy a standard, learn to drive it. thats what I did.

That's the only way you really learn. Tried teaching my wife with my car, but she just couldn't learn it properly until we bought her a daily driver with a stick.

J-hop
06-15-2011, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Commanderwiggin

I did this as well when I was 14 when I was first learning to drive...and surprisingly I ended up doing this a month ago as well. It is a very useful technique especially if you ever drive a stick in downtown San Francisco...I drove on a couple hills that were 30% grade...f'n steep and made my balls tighten up when a retard decided to creep up inches from my rear bumper and the guy in front of me was rolling backwards in an auto lol.

yea with grades like that its probably not a bad idea to use that technique no matter how skilled you are.

Augury
06-16-2011, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the feedback.

I also have add... and I find I drive safely with a standard since im always doing something... the concentration lapse only happens if you get bored, at least for me.