PDA

View Full Version : Calgary hockey leagues...

nonofyobiz
06-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Some friends and I are considering starting a team and playing in a league next winter. Most of them never played hockey when they were younger so it is pretty beginner. I and a couple others did play but we are in pretty bad shape :dunno:

So I'm wondering what is the best league to play in.. We are just looking to have fun and get in some hockey!

95EG6P
06-11-2011, 06:02 PM
From what I hear winter season is expensive summer is much cheaper just my .02

Davetronz
06-12-2011, 03:56 AM
Here are my recommendations:
CAHL - You could try a weekday division E or a the lowest weekend division - not sure if they'll have a weekend E for next season.

NCHL - They have a beginner program that "graduates" you up to higher divisions after a season or two. Good way to get started. They also limit goals in the beginner divisions (3 a game), so that people don't bring out ringers.

HNA - Div 11/12 would be a good match. They make you have matching team jerseys and equipment after the second or third game. Kind of crappy for a "beginner" or "just for fun" team.

I think the costs are all quite comparable. Some leagues (CAHL) do more in regards to media and extra stuff for the players (better All-Star games), etc.

But yes, Summer league is cheaper than Winter. Ice is at a better price, and you can get better time slots for less money.

leftwing
06-12-2011, 04:20 PM
Summer in every league is cheaper because you only play 12-18 games. In winter you play upwards of 30 games...

I've played in both the HNA and NCHL and next year my team is moving to ALL-CAL.

HNA- from my experience - better reffing, better rules (see: NCHL) and an overall better league at the competitive level. The teams I've been on have always been div 1 or 2 so I'm not sure what the lower levels are like, but from what I can judge HNA is a more serious league (all matching gear) and NCHL is more of a beginner league at all levels.

NCHL - has zero tolerance for any shenanigans -They have a penalty rule after 6 minor penalties in a game ever penalty thereafter is a penatly shot along with a 2-min powerplay. I find the reffing in NCHL very shitty as I feel the refs are told to be very hard on the players, they call everything and often try and make "examples" out of players; probably so players are deterred from doing stupid things and games getting outta hand