PDA

View Full Version : Wiper question

relyt92
06-11-2011, 08:10 PM
Hey, not sure if this would be the right forum, but it doesn't seem to really fit under the other ones either to me. My apologies if I'm putting this in the wrong area. But to the point of this thread, I've had some issues with wipers on my car. They suck, period. I've gone through 3 sets in the last 6 months or so, both the reflex style, and the cheap metal style trying to fix it. My problem is that no matter what, my wipers are always streaky, and the rain today prompted me to make this thread and try and figure out why. The streaks seem to cover most of my windshield, so I'm thinking that my wiper arms aren't putting enough pressure on my wipers or something, but I've got no idea how to test it. Anybody have any ideas on what to do?

VetteRacin
06-11-2011, 09:20 PM
its possible wax could be causing it if you use carwash wax

sugoi240
06-11-2011, 10:05 PM
Is there a possibility that the windshield has been treated with
some sort of bug/tar repellant?

If you think it is your wiper arms, can't you tell by pulling the arms back off the windshield if there's not enough resistance?
How old are the wiper arms/ car?

relyt92
06-11-2011, 10:14 PM
I don't use the wax at the car wash, and there hasn't been any treatment since I got the car last june, I can't say about before then though. Assuming the wiper arms are original, they're from 2001.

revelations
06-11-2011, 10:38 PM
Had the same problem on a few cars.

For me what worked: rubbing alcohol on the windshield to remove all traces of anything remotely oil or dirt related. You can use any glass cleaner, I just went crazy. (wash first)

Then, wax the windshield with carnuba wax. Water will fly off most of the time when youre on the move and your wipers will wipe with ease.

Alternately, check that the wipers are perpendicular to the windshield. Had HORRIBLE streaking issues with a former vehicle where the wipers were set to like 70 degrees instead of 90 degrees to the windshield.

relyt92
06-12-2011, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by revelations
Had the same problem on a few cars.

For me what worked: rubbing alcohol on the windshield to remove all traces of anything remotely oil or dirt related. You can use any glass cleaner, I just went crazy. (wash first)

Then, wax the windshield with carnuba wax. Water will fly off most of the time when youre on the move and your wipers will wipe with ease.

Alternately, check that the wipers are perpendicular to the windshield. Had HORRIBLE streaking issues with a former vehicle where the wipers were set to like 70 degrees instead of 90 degrees to the windshield. Is waxing a windshield the same process as waxing the body?

HiSpec
06-12-2011, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by relyt92
Is waxing a windshield the same process as waxing the body?

G4 Glass Nano Polish + G1 ClearVision Smart Glass does really good job at cleaning your glass and coating it.

theken
06-12-2011, 05:32 PM
Replace the springs in your wiper arm

stevieo
06-14-2011, 02:28 PM
do you have any cracks in your windshield? I get lots of streaks and an area about the size of an iphone that my wipers won't clean...I think it might be due to the huge crack i have going horizontally across my windshield

relyt92
06-14-2011, 06:03 PM
How long would a coating like rainx or the like last? Doesn't seem like it'd stay for too long with the wipers going over it.

Originally posted by theken
Replace the springs in your wiper arm
Assuming they don't cost much, i'll go pick up a set over the weekend

Originally posted by stevieo
do you have any cracks in your windshield? I get lots of streaks and an area about the size of an iphone that my wipers won't clean...I think it might be due to the huge crack i have going horizontally across my windshield
Yeah, I've got one that goes from one side to the other on the lower area of the windshield, would that affect it?

NoMoreG35
06-14-2011, 06:06 PM
Try spraying your wiper blades with silicon spray?

stevieo
06-14-2011, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by relyt92

Yeah, I've got one that goes from one side to the other on the lower area of the windshield, would that affect it?

I don't know, it could be though. or maybe its just my mind, I think when it cracked across my windshield it may have caused it to move maybe 1mm inwards or outwards or whatever causing my wipers to miss that area. haha it could just be how i see it though, it bothers me a lot but i'm too cheap to fix it.