PDA

View Full Version : Automotive Detailing Job, what to expect?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-13-2011, 09:16 AM
Hey guys, so I recently graduated from AST at SAIT and I just accepted a job at Crowfoot BMW as a Automotive Detailer to get my foot into the door of the automotive industry. I have never worked as a detailer before, but I know attention to detail is key. Anyone who has worked as one? Can you fill me in on what specifics I should be doing, other than cleaning everything, any tips?

TIA

derek_k
06-13-2011, 12:03 PM
Cleaning cars is what to expect, don't overlook anything, if you can see it the customer can see it, make sure you get every little corner. New cars is the easiest cause they are new

bituerbo
06-13-2011, 12:09 PM
Absorb as much about the industry/job as you can. Never stop learning, you should be preparing to go into business on your own.

Abeo
06-13-2011, 01:54 PM
Expect wet feet. Cheap tint goes purple if cleaned with ammonia-based window cleaners. Use vinyl renewer on dash before cleaning the windshield. Pretty much everything scratches paint; keep your wash mitt and drying towels clean (and maybe keep a junky set for junky cars). Don't steal change (should be obvious), and check under the seats for stuff that collects there. Make friends with the painters/preppers, as there is overlap. Turn on the blower vents on hot/cold on all settings to blow out dust or crap that accumulates.

These are off the top of my head... but hang around some detailing forums, and you'll get a bunch of tips on how to clean well in the fastest time.

M.alex
06-13-2011, 02:57 PM
Expect to "ruin" customers' clearcoat (i.e., micromarr the living piss out of it). No dealership will invest in the supplies needed to properly wash a vehicle (e.g., my microfibers cost $15/towel ... no dealership will pay for that!), to properly detail a car (most have 1-2 pads for a buffer and that's it .... i've got about 40!), nor will they give you the time to do a proper job.

You will do a hack job.

However, since 99% of people out there are stupid when it comes to paint care, they won't notice as long as their interiors are clean - clean interiors are about the only thing most people notice on vehicles - and their vehicle is dry.

All dealerships do are hack jobs because it's about high volume, quick turnover. (no offense, it's the truth, even Ferrari dealerships are notoriously bad)

If you really love detailing you'll hate it, because you'll have to do a substandard (i.e., non-perfect) job on each and every vehicle.

Also, the work is quite backbreaking - it starts off okay, but gets very tiring very quickly. It's even worse when you're getting paid dick all.

Detailing, imho, is not a job I'd wish on my worst enemy, nor is it a hobby I wish I'd gotten into - sadly, once you get into it (as a hobby) all you see are micromarrs on vehicles and the imperfections and it drives you crazy 24/7.

Abeo
06-13-2011, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by M.alex
Detailing, imho, is not a job I'd wish on my worst enemy, nor is it a hobby I wish I'd gotten into - sadly, once you get into it (as a hobby) all you see are micromarrs on vehicles and the imperfections and it drives you crazy 24/7.

Oh yeah, spend too long doing it and you'll develop OCD. I can't stand to see any scratch, chip, swirl, nick, dent, or undercarriage rust on any of my vehicles :/

chathamf
06-13-2011, 06:00 PM
These guys are making it sound horrible, it really is not that bad, so don't go into it with bad thoughts.

I did it for like four months at Varsity Dodge/Auto Maxx. We did it on flat rate there so it was all about doing them as quick as possible and we would make more money. I had days where I worked 8 hours and got paid for 20, it was actually pretty good.

But yea, Automaxx puts out a ton of shit cars, so quite often we didn't have to do that great a job. Being at BMW though the customers will be more picky so you will likely be expected to have everything quite perfect.

Take pride in your work, try to learn from the other guys that are there because there are tons of tricks to make things look good in a short period of time. With the education you have make sure you keep at them about wanting to move into the shop and I'm sure you'll be in there in no time.

Actually I think you should keep looking around to get your foot in the door changing oil for a dealership. When I used to look for jobs in Calgary I usually got tons of offers to start off in the shop.

BigDannyCool
06-13-2011, 06:04 PM
they hired someone without any experience?

Rat Fink
06-13-2011, 07:13 PM

black13
06-13-2011, 07:21 PM
as a new hire I'm guessing you'll just be doing basic washing of service vehicles which isn't hard. I'm sure they will teach you the basics.

M.alex
06-13-2011, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by chathamf
so it was all about doing them as quick as possible and we would make more money.

proves my point (no offense)

Originally posted by black13
as a new hire I'm guessing you'll just be doing basic washing of service vehicles which isn't hard. I'm sure they will teach you the basics.

Washing is the most critical step in detailing - proper washing technique, which needs to be emulsification/encapsulation and not lubricity from traditional soap imho, means you should never have to polish your vehicle again.

Improper washing technique means it'll look like a pile of shit very quickly.

AE92_TreunoSC
06-13-2011, 08:17 PM
No offence but spending 2 years learning how to be an auto tech at SAIT just to end up with a detailing job doesn't make much sense.

You'd be better off at costco installing tires compared to working at BMW washing cars, while working towards a no-guarantee promise.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-13-2011, 08:31 PM
Problem is I am having a hard time finding a job because I have 0 experience in a shop, I would rather be a lube tech than a detailer at this point.

Abeo
06-13-2011, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
Problem is I am having a hard time finding a job because I have 0 experience in a shop, I would rather be a lube tech than a detailer at this point.

Give yourself a time limit, just say 6 months, and if you've made no progress towards wrenching then walk. Keep looking for a job in the meantime too.... I would think a tire shop or crappy tire would hire someone green. Detailing, as far as shop experience goes, doesn't go far on a resume.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-13-2011, 09:09 PM
I was going to say until my birthday (November 1st) max. I dropped off at least 30 resumes at shops last week alone.

Guillermo
06-13-2011, 09:24 PM
you need to go into a small indie shop where the owner cares about you and is willing to invest time/money in training you.

shynepho
06-13-2011, 09:41 PM
I think you would be able to land a job at a small shop quicker then at opposed to a dealership. Westwinds NE (52nd St NE/Mcknight Blvd -area) theres a bunch of small mechanic shops that would most likely hire you right away if you were to go in and talk to them.

dirtsniffer
06-13-2011, 10:48 PM
i worked at calgary bmw in the wash bay for 6 months and was offered an apprenticeship. i'd say do it, they just want to make sure you are not stupid/lazy.

try to get on flat rate asap.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-14-2011, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
i worked at calgary bmw in the wash bay for 6 months and was offered an apprenticeship. i'd say do it, they just want to make sure you are not stupid/lazy.

try to get on flat rate asap.

Hey thanks for the info. I am definitely not stupid or lazy, I had no problems finishing school, and I have a hard work ethic.

HiSpec
06-27-2011, 04:31 PM

Washing is the most critical step in detailing - proper washing technique, which needs to be emulsification/encapsulation and not lubricity from traditional soap imho, means you should never have to polish your vehicle again.

Improper washing technique means it'll look like a pile of shit very quickly.

I also want to add 2 buckets with grit guard in each is the proper way to wash a vehicle. But I doubt the dealership would invest in such equipment.

M.alex
06-27-2011, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by HiSpec

I also want to add 2 buckets with grit guard in each is the proper way to wash a vehicle. But I doubt the dealership would invest in such equipment.

Grit guard is good but with technologies like ONR you really don't need 2 bucket anymore.......you can't rinse out the majority of the dirt once it's safely encapsulated in a microfiber with just water, you need a dedicated microfiber cleaning solution.

The only reason I have 2 bucket is 1 is for the main body (trunk, hood, roof, etc.. etc..), and the second is for the lower body (lower sideskirts, lower doors, ec.. etc..; areas that attract more dirt).

HiSpec
06-27-2011, 05:41 PM

Grit guard is good but with technologies like ONR you really don't need 2 bucket anymore.......you can't rinse out the majority of the dirt once it's safely encapsulated in a microfiber with just water, you need a dedicated microfiber cleaning solution.

The only reason I have 2 bucket is 1 is for the main body (trunk, hood, roof, etc.. etc..), and the second is for the lower body (lower sideskirts, lower doors, ec.. etc..; areas that attract more dirt).

ONR saved me from frozen fingers during winter. Great product!!

Once again, I doubt dealership will invest in such product.

M.alex
06-27-2011, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by HiSpec

Once again, I doubt dealership will invest in such product.

Of course not - it's more expensive than Canadian Tire Simoniz soap and tap water

:rofl:

Although I wonder - if you use ONR (as a professional business) do you still need to capture water runoff since it's not a chemical?

n1zm0
06-28-2011, 12:44 PM
you would have a bit better 'foot in the door' imo if you applied as a valet instead of detail. you then have copious amounts of time (sometimes) to screw the pooch and wander down to the hoists to help the techs and watch/learn, in turn showing the foreman that youre interested in working on cars and implanting it into the back of his head that you've already been through AST courses. BUT i had a friend who started out detail and moved onto the shop floor just as i did after valet, took a while longer than i did tho.

But detail depending on how that dealership works, is good and bad, good if the company sends their new purchases through you to strip all the interior plastic factory covers off and basically prep car for delivery - when things are new they're great for the most part. Bad imo if you work for used, used car detail sucked asshole... you got stuck with used car trade-in cleaning AND service customer "my baby puked in the back seat, pls can you clean it while its in for maintenance" type of requests.

but again not all dealerships run their detail as such.