PDA

View Full Version : Questions about two-way remote starters (stupid questions ahead)

Stealth22
06-13-2011, 06:25 PM
So I just got another car, and sometime before winter, I want to get it outfitted with a remote starter. Now first off, I've never had remote start in any car before, so I might end up asking a couple of dumb questions in this thread. I guess the obvious question is, whats the best one to get? :rofl:

I vaguely remember reading something somewhere about the immobilizers on newer cars too. Am I going to need to use one of my keys for the installation? I understand that the trunk release on a remote starter, most of the time, is an option that you need to pay for to get added on. Is it the same way for the power locks, and would I even need either function added? On this OEM remote, the key IS the remote, and its got the trunk release (and obviously the locks) on it already.

And the last question (for now at least) is, what other options are available and worth getting? I saw temperature and paging sensors on the Compustar website...I guess the paging sensor would be nice to have...if someone had the brains to knock on the window knowing that the car would page me.

Just looking for some insight so I don't make any 'rookie' mistakes in buying the thing. Also, where's the best place to buy (and install) a remote starter in Calgary?

Thanks in advance, all!

Sorath
06-14-2011, 12:57 AM
because there are chips in keys of most new cars now. an immobilizer bypass is needed. Usually power door locks and trunk release can be done at an additional price.

just get the 2 way compustar that autodream sells.

autodream talk to marvin. 4032481566

Stealth22
06-14-2011, 02:59 PM
Alright, so after calling around a little, I've got a pretty good idea now on what I'm looking for and what it'll cost.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

J-D
06-14-2011, 04:38 PM
I think the biggest problem with my two way starter is that the trunk also works from 1km away.... I wish I could disable that :/