PDA

View Full Version : Reputable Jewelers

infiniti.
06-14-2011, 08:17 PM
I need to get a platinum ring re-sized about 1 size smaller, ive heard about lots of places that switch out your diamonds and replace it with an inferior one. Does anyone have a well trusted and highly reputable Jeweler that can re-size my ring?
thanks in advance

colsankey
06-14-2011, 09:09 PM
Alberta Diamond exchange (17th Ave and 85th SW) Darren's been great to me.

Mibz
06-14-2011, 09:45 PM
I thought I was the only one paranoid like that.

My fiance's getting a wedding band made at ADX and they need her engagement ring to do the mold. Scares the shit out of me to give her ring away for a day.

nickyh
06-15-2011, 06:58 AM
Alberta Diamond Exchange, I will always recommend them :thumbsup:

lint
06-15-2011, 07:22 AM
most diamonds are engraved with serial numbers, viewable with a 10x loop. make sure it's recorded before the work starts and check it again after

ganesh
06-15-2011, 08:56 AM
Calgary Jewellers.
We take our rings to resized by them.

civic_stylez
06-15-2011, 09:39 AM
Calgary Jewellers. Bernard does amazing work.

MM99lude
06-15-2011, 01:06 PM
Troy Shoppe off Edmonton Trail. Dave is great to work with! Nothing but positive experiences there.

Destinova403
06-15-2011, 10:40 PM
I worked in Jewelry for almost 3 years and I hear these rumours but cant possibly see it happening. Why would any jewelry store risk their reputation and their business for the extremely modest gains that can be had by switching diamonds.

I used to have customers ask me about stuff like this, and our response has always been that its absurd.

Any jewelry store worth anything AT ALL and with any sort of positive reputation would not do anything criminal like this. Its not like they can take a top end VVS diamond and switch it with an I and not have it be noticed... most customers would notice that difference VERY quickly. Being caught switching a single stone (which may gain the jewelry store a few thousand dollars) will end up costing the store its business license and reputation.

Originally posted by lint
most diamonds are engraved with serial numbers, viewable with a 10x loop. make sure it's recorded before the work starts and check it again after

Most stones that are certified by the GIA or EGL actually don't, Unless it was specifically ordered at time of purchase. I'v had customers in the past order their birthdate or anniversary to be etched on the stone.

You can have a diamond laser etched if you want, I know there are a few places around Canada that would be able to put a message on the stone for the store if the customer wanted, but the etching is expensive (can cost a few hundred per stone) so its only usually done by the manufacturers or certification labs where the profit margin allows. You see this a lot on Canadian diamonds as a selling point, but most people don't consider that you are paying generally 15-20% extra for the canadian certificate which covers the back end cost of things like this.