PDA

View Full Version : 2006-2009 528/525 owners please chime in here

ddduke
06-15-2011, 03:13 PM
So I'm looking at getting one of these for the old lady as it's time for an upgrade. Just wondering how the rwd is in the winter, that's kind of the only thing that she doesn't like. I've personally had a rwd cadillac in the winter and with the winter mode/traction control/winter tires I thought it was great.

Is there also anything else I should look out for in these cars? I'm planning on bringing which ever car I decide on buying to a bmw mechanic for a full inspection, but can't hurt to ask you guys.

Sorry to make one of these threads guys but I really don't know where to ask how the 5 series hold up in winter, besides the sales person at bmw which told me it was great (ofcourse they would).

Mitsu3000gt
06-20-2011, 10:19 AM
My dad drives that vintage of 545i in the winter with zero problems (winter tires). I've driven it too in the winter and it's just fine. Traction control & stability control work great if you underestimate anything while driving. I would imagine a 525/528 with considerably less torque would be even easier to manage yet.

Honestly, with good tires and common sense, pretty much everything but exotics (or similar) are perfectly fine in the winter.

As for the car, cracked radiators are a very common problem. Not much else though. I know my dad hasn't had even a single issue with his in all the time he's owned it.

dirtsniffer
06-21-2011, 10:43 AM
try to find a 530 with the sports pack. :thumbsup:

Scat E46
06-21-2011, 11:04 AM
I always facepalm when people think RWD is bad in the winter. With proper tires and DSC you will be fine

ddduke
06-22-2011, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Scat E46
I always facepalm when people think RWD is bad in the winter. With proper tires and DSC you will be fine

I always facepalm when people make useless comments in my threads. My girlfriend isn't the greatest driver and rwd, even with winters and dsc is still more difficult then the awd she is used to. Some rwd cars just handle better the others, I've driven a few and some were a huge pain in the ass.

Thanks for comment mitsu3000gt, I think we're going to try it out. I have a feeling it's going to handle just fine, especially cause of how heavy the thing is.

dirtsniffer
06-22-2011, 08:54 AM
bmw also has a stability control that is functional on ice. unlike older g35s

Aleks
06-22-2011, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by ddduke

I always facepalm when people make useless comments in my threads. My girlfriend isn't the greatest driver and rwd, even with winters and dsc is still more difficult then the awd she is used to. Some rwd cars just handle better the others, I've driven a few and some were a huge pain in the ass.

Thanks for comment mitsu3000gt, I think we're going to try it out. I have a feeling it's going to handle just fine, especially cause of how heavy the thing is.

If she is used to AWD and isn't the greatest driver I would not bother with RWD. I drove my 325i all last winter and it's quite noticable going from it to our Forester. My wife hated driving my car in snow and she's a decent driver. So if it's strictly for your GF I say look for a Xi model.

luxor
06-22-2011, 04:07 PM
I don't think scat e46 meant his comment as an attack towards you in any way, at least from what I can tell. It is true that people shy away from RWDs when it comes to winter. That is an old school way of thinking because older RWD cars don't have the sophisticated electronics that we have today and they just plain sucked in the winter.

However, an 06+ BMW will be just fine with the DSC but just make sure you have a good set of winters and not those "performance" winter tires. There will be times where she will spin and DSC (traction control portion) will intervene and she will end up crawling through an intersection but as soon as traction is there the car will go again. If your old lady isn't confortable with that then and Xi would be needed. Other than that she won't get stuck or anything with the RWD.

Xtrema
06-22-2011, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by ddduke

Wow I sense some anger there.

BTW, all the gadgetry did not save me from spinning out in a loaner A4 AWD with summer tires. So whatever you end up getting, get the right shoes for the weather.

JVR1
06-22-2011, 11:06 PM
i'd suggest going down to 17" winter rim/tire combo.

ddduke
06-23-2011, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Wow I sense some anger there.

BTW, all the gadgetry did not save me from spinning out in a loaner A4 AWD with summer tires. So whatever you end up getting, get the right shoes for the weather.

Haha, no anger, I just can't take scat seriously and nothing he says is productive.

But I think I'm just going to do the awd with winters. The only reason I was so interested in the rwd was because of the color combo it came in. I guess I'm going to have to settle for black interior now.