PDA

View Full Version : Review: Evergreen Pizza - 3003 Centre Street North

ExtraSlow
06-16-2011, 06:52 AM
If you're like me and drive on Centre Street often, you've seen this place. Probably said to yourself, "what a dump." Yep, the outside isn't particularly inviting. Inside, it's got about as much class as a bankrupt KFC. Maybe less. Let's just say this isn't where you'd take a gal on a first date. Unless the second half of your date included smoking crack through a bic pen and anal sex in an alley. There are two chairs for waiting, but not really anywhere to eat. This is take-away or delivery only.

Anyway, last night the wife and I ordered from there, with low expectations. We were pleasantly surprised. Ordered two mediums, bacon and mushroom on one, and peperoni, mushroom and green pepper on the other.
Pizzas were ready in 30 minutes. They have some kind of "walk-in" special where if you are picking up where medium (12") pizzas are only $8.99 each. Great deal, as my two pizzas came to $19 with tax.

The pizza:
Crust - thin to medium thick crust, nicely crispy on the bottom, no burnt spots, no raw spots.
Sauce - nicely flavoured, mildly spicy tomato sauce. Very good. Advertised as "home made" on the menu.
Toppings - Not a huge volume of toppings, but everything that was on there was nice tasting and the veggies were fresh.
Cheese - Standard Mozza, not too thick.

Will it fill me up? I'd say this pizza ends up on the thin side. If you are used to the chicago deep dish type pizza, count on eating a few more slices than normal.

Prices - for walk-in, s/m/l is $6.99/8.99/9.99. Delivery price is $15-18 for medium, up to $22-24 for XL 16".
They also sell chicken wings, lasagne, garlic toast, salads and pop.

Overall, a nicely balanced, nicely cooked pizza at a great price. Next time I'll be trying some of their specialty pizzas, like the Tandoori chicken. Guy looked Indian, so I'm hoping the Tandoori is pretty authentic. Anyone who drives past this place should give it a shot. Anyone who requires cloth napkins and polished hardwood floors should stay away.

Location is 3003 Centre Street North. Phone 403-230-1414.

Jeremiah
06-16-2011, 10:06 AM
I lol'd at first paragraph

Amysicle
06-17-2011, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the review. Just moved into the area and wanted to try some of the independent pizza shops around here.

ExtraSlow
06-17-2011, 06:59 PM
it's definitely worth checking out. I've tried the Rio Pizza beside the Amadine Bakery as well. It wasn't as good IMO. My wife used to always order from the Panago on 20th and centre, but I just can't get into that place.

raceman6135
06-17-2011, 10:04 PM
Speaking of Rio, their 2-for-1 lasagna take-out used to be both tasty and a good deal. Haven't had their pizza in a while, though.

Thanks for the review, Extra. Do they do East Indian food, too? Might have to check it out this weekend.

ExtraSlow
06-18-2011, 08:23 AM
There's a place right next door that does indian food. I always thought it was the same place, but I guess not, might be the same kitchen in the back. Haven't tried the indian food yet. But that review is coming, unless someone beats me to it.

ricosuave
06-18-2011, 09:23 AM
Ive ordered from there a fair bit, and it is pretty good for the price.

He does have some involvement in the Indian side too - I asked him if he was willing to make me up a vindaloo pizza next time - he said sure, anything I wanted! LOL

ExtraSlow
04-27-2012, 07:11 PM
UPDATE:
Evergreen closed down, and in it's place Rubi's Pizza has opened up. Not the same people, although much of the original review still applies.

Currently they are running a pick-up only special $15 for unlimited topping 14" pizza.
Still a thin crust, entire pizza is a bit thin, but very tasty. I had peperoni/mushroom/green pepper/bacon tonight and it was very good. For $15, you can't beat it. I'll be buying from them again.

They do baked pastas and wings as well, and for lunch the do hamburgers and hot dogs in addition to the pizzas.

Phone Number is now 403-250-7824 (RUBI)