PDA

View Full Version : How hard are garage doors to install?

CapnCrunch
06-16-2011, 01:14 PM
My garage has 2-8'X8' doors. One of them is completely destroyed, the door is trashed, the hardware is broken etc. The other still works, but I figure its probably on its last legs.

I can do them one at a time of course, but I'm just not sure how complicated it is to install one. I'm pretty handy, and I'm wondering if it's something a guy can learn and finish in a day? I don't want to have to leave a door half finished overnight.

What do you guys think? Crazy idea?

Dave P
06-16-2011, 01:35 PM
I think the springs are serious business. Be Careful

n1zm0
06-16-2011, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Dave P
I think the springs are serious business. Be Careful

this, theyre under serious tension if you already didnt know that, i've seen a small townhouse garage door tension spring snap and the piece that flew off, it was like a shotgun slug going off.

couldnt imagine what a dual garage door one would be like if something went wrong.

i've done various electrical portions on my townhouse's door, that's extremely easy of course.

AndyL
06-16-2011, 03:08 PM
Springs are dangerous - plain and simple. Not recomended for the DIYer, but not impossible either.

It's not rocket science, but there's a lot of theory to it... If your garage is nice and square and the floors nice and level; yeah - you can likely do it yourself. Avoid the typical torsion spring systems - look for something like the wayne dalton 9100/9600's with a torque tube (creative door is the local dealer) - they were designed for the DIYer. 10000% safer to install if you really want to do it yourself.

Or I know some crazy door guy :angel: who might be able to give you a hand :D

CapnCrunch
06-17-2011, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by AndyL

If your garage is nice and square and the floors nice and level;

Fuck, I'm out lol.

90_Shelby
06-26-2011, 09:22 AM
It's easy to install garage doors if you are mechanically inclined. Follow the instructions, take your time and obviously be careful when tensioning the springs. I just installed two 16' X 7.5' doors and it was not a complicated process. For tensioning the springs I used two 1/2" diameter by 3' long solid steel rods which made winding the springs a piece of cake.

Tik-Tok
06-26-2011, 11:31 AM
Did 2 of my doors in 1 day (slow, taking my time), and the 3rd the next. Pretty easy, especially when some lends you a turn counter :D

AndyL
06-26-2011, 03:52 PM
ah sh*t I keep forgetting about that :) you around tonight? I'll probably be sitting down around the impound bored to tears anyway...

Tiktok also did the wayne dalton 9100's; like I said before, they're meant for a diy'er - largely pre-assembled - no traditional torsion springs; WD puts on races every year - if I recall - 13 mins for a 9x7 is the record (of course that's experienced installers).