PDA

View Full Version : Mustang Vs Genesis

Crazyjoker77
06-16-2011, 05:39 PM
So I've been looking at purchasing another car as I would like to do some traveling and a JDM car is not ideal for long distances(lots of single lane highways, worse gas mileage, parts issues if something breaks, Hassle in hick-ville states)

Looking to spend around 35k.

I was originally looking at the

mustang V6 premium
Genesis 2.0 GT
Suburu WRX

(WRX was crossed off after a rather disappointing test drive. I use to work at suburu and wow they have destroyed the impreza with the new models)

I'm sort of leaning towards the mustang due to the fact it has 100more HP better EPA ratings and takes regular gas but all the issues with the 6spd standard have got me worried.

Ideally I would like to get something Like the R-spec genesis that is sold in the states( bare bones with LSD and brembos) as most of the features that come on the 2.0GT I could care less about but unfortunately getting the GT is the only way to get the brembos and LSD in canada and there is no way I can buy a rwd with a open diff so I'm stuck buying a 30k version of a 20k car =(. (even the value leader mustangs come with LSD stock)

Tried using the insurance rates to sway me but the stang and gen coupe came within 30$ a year of each other (wrx was 650 more a year =0)

I'm open to suggestions on other cars that fit my criteria but would like to stay away from anything FWD or BMW/Merc

What would you do?

corsvette
06-16-2011, 05:43 PM
Mustang= Much better resale, better long term reliability, and more likely just a better performing vehicle with way more aftermarket support.
IMO the Genisis already looks dated.

kvg
06-16-2011, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by corsvette

IMO the Genisis already looks dated.

I agree 100%
Nice car but it does look dated.

AE92_TreunoSC
06-16-2011, 05:57 PM
The Mustang V6 goes like snot. It doesnt feel like a poor choice anymore. I've only driven an automatic version, but the 6 gears and decent final drive make for a very fun drive.

I was able to spin all the way to 3rd gear on my test drive.

I'd take a new v6 over a 2009 with a 4.6 easy.

Shlade
06-16-2011, 06:16 PM
Mustang good resale value?

Dude.... Dude....

NO. Ford has no resale value at all. If your willing to spend 35k go get a used 5.0.

Do not waste your time with the V6. Haters gon hate on the lil 3valve 4.6 but it still out beats the so called much more powerful V6 ford has.

Get a used 5.0

You seriously will not regret it. Go test drive both at a dealership. For a stock car ive never been put in my seat as quick on a N/A car as I have in a 2011 GT

03ozwhip
06-16-2011, 06:46 PM
i read a comparison between camaro, mustang, challenger and genesis in car and driver a while back.

the wierd thing is the the genesis came up 2nd of the 4, but the new mustang still came out on top. id say mustang unless youre a die hard hyundai fan.

Cos
06-16-2011, 06:53 PM
If you like the mustang who cares? I would pick one up. It sounds to me your biggest concerns are the tranny (warranty) and the image that it is a mustang.

Image is great until you spend 35k on a car for the image and then hate driving it.

2Legit2Quit
06-16-2011, 07:04 PM
5.0 stang if possible, otherwise mustang if you're content with it

corsvette
06-16-2011, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Shlade
Mustang good resale value?

Dude.... Dude....

NO. Ford has no resale value at all. If your willing to spend 35k go get a used 5.0.

Do not waste your time with the V6. Haters gon hate on the lil 3valve 4.6 but it still out beats the so called much more powerful V6 ford has.

Get a used 5.0

You seriously will not regret it. Go test drive both at a dealership. For a stock car ive never been put in my seat as quick on a N/A car as I have in a 2011 GT

I hear ya... but it has good resale compaired to a Hyundai though!:D

RickDaTuner
06-16-2011, 07:20 PM
35k get a used Cobra from the states...

Weapon_R
06-16-2011, 07:22 PM
I'd take the mustang too. Always loved the new body style and the new v6 is nice.

Rat Fink
06-16-2011, 07:27 PM

leftwing
06-16-2011, 08:39 PM
I dont know exactly what you looking for, you really only suggested MPG as a concern, but I wouldn't buy brand new, just because of the immediate depreciation. You could buy a very nice used Shelby GT500 or 5.0, or even a Vette in your price range. What about a Challenger SRT8, 4 Doors and 425 HP is nice.

Maybe add a bit more criteria or what your looking for, such as: coupe or sedan, luxury or sport, conv or hardtop, is HP important to you? 6sp or 5sp? or auto?...

edit: Out of the two you suggested: V6 stang or Genesis i'd reluctantly choose stang, but I would prefer neither. I say if your getting a mustang go V8 or go home.

sincerely,

mustang owner

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-16-2011, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by leftwing
I dont know exactly what you looking for, you really only suggested MPG as a concern, but I wouldn't buy brand new, just because of the immediate depreciation. You could buy a very nice used Shelby GT500 or 5.0, or even a Vette in your price range. What about a Challenger SRT8, 4 Doors and 425 HP is nice.

Maybe add a bit more criteria or what your looking for, such as: coupe or sedan, luxury or sport, conv or hardtop, is HP important to you? 6sp or 5sp? or auto?...

edit: Out of the two you suggested: V6 stang or Genesis i'd reluctantly choose stang, but I would prefer neither. I say if your getting a mustang go V8 or go home.

sincerely,

mustang owner

4 door Challenger? Where?

leftwing
06-16-2011, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

4 door Challenger? Where?

Its a custom option, they are rare.

But seriously, I meant Charger.

leftwing
06-16-2011, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
35k get a used Cobra from the states...

OR get a Cobra from Canada for <30,000

Ven
06-17-2011, 07:49 AM
Never ever buy the base engine in a "performance" car. If you do buy the Mustang spring for the V8.

Crazyjoker77
06-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Well I am strongly leaning towards the mustang as someone said the only real issue why I'm not in one is because of the horror stories on the mustang forums. as well the 2 people i know that own one both have serious issues (co-worker with a 11 v6 is on his 3rd tranny & friend in calgary with 5.0 cant shift above 6k rpm into 2nd or 3rd but ford refuses to replace it since it has not failed)

I am not looking for a performance car by any means my eclipse will destroy most 5.0s out there already and the gt-fours will out handle any new vehicles out there short of exiges. I'm really just looking for something reliable that still looks good and can make it between gas stations and can be still be some fun on the curvy cali coast.

and the mustang and genesis seem to be the only thing that fall into the category.

LOLzilla
06-17-2011, 10:34 AM
Hey,

Crazy take a look at picking up a new 5.0. Ford is offering 5K in rebates right off the bat on them, 1K for Costco customers, use a bit of negotiation and I'm sure you could pick one up for 33K.

TTYL

heavyD
06-17-2011, 11:04 AM
Mustang owner here.:) I am an active member on some Mustang forums and know all about the problems. Even though they share the same transmission it appears the problems seem to be much more prevelant in GT's and there are widely varying theories of the issues from alignment, transmission fluids, shift linkage, etc. Regardless it can not be denied that there have been issues especially with the 2011's as 2012's have revised clutch assemblies and pressure plate bolts which have fixed some of the issues.

As far as my car goes the shifting is almost Honda-like except when we had some cold days a few weeks ago and it got a little notchy and higher effort. I do love the car though and am actually surprised how refined the car is as the interior has been completely rattle free and quiet. It's feels like a poor man's M3 and no care can compare dollar for dollar.

I can't really comment on the Genesis as I have no experience as it's a car that I never considered and a car that has never appealed to me. That doesn't mean I think it's a bad car as the 370Z has never really appealed to me either even though I know its a decent car.

A790
06-17-2011, 11:57 AM
I've driven them both and they are very different cars in how the feel and act. The V6 Mustang has a bit more jam to it, but I think the 2.0T would be a better buy if you were looking to tune it.

Drive them and see which one you like the best. That's the only real solution :)

epp01
06-17-2011, 12:08 PM
I can chime in here, my buddie bought a V6 2011 mustang, the car moves pretty good did a 14.6 at race city bone stock and his first time there. However he has the same tranny issue everybody is talking about, his car wouldn't shift, they've replaced almost everything twice and the car has been in the shop almost more then he's had it, and now he's sick of driving a rental focus around and is lemon lawing the car. Very nice car though even in the v6 model.

heavyD
06-17-2011, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by epp01
I can chime in here, my buddie bought a V6 2011 mustang, the car moves pretty good did a 14.6 at race city bone stock and his first time there. However he has the same tranny issue everybody is talking about, his car wouldn't shift, they've replaced almost everything twice and the car has been in the shop almost more then he's had it, and now he's sick of driving a rental focus around and is lemon lawing the car. Very nice car though even in the v6 model.

How do you Lemon Law a car in Alberta? I know you can get a lawyer to fight this for you but it's nowhere near as cut and dry as in the US and even in the US not everyone that files for it gets it.

Crazyjoker77
06-17-2011, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
Mustang owner here.:) I am an active member on some Mustang forums and know all about the problems. Even though they share the same transmission it appears the problems seem to be much more prevelant in GT's and there are widely varying theories of the issues from alignment, transmission fluids, shift linkage, etc. Regardless it can not be denied that there have been issues especially with the 2011's as 2012's have revised clutch assemblies and pressure plate bolts which have fixed some of the issues.

As far as my car goes the shifting is almost Honda-like except when we had some cold days a few weeks ago and it got a little notchy and higher effort. I do love the car though and am actually surprised how refined the car is as the interior has been completely rattle free and quiet. It's feels like a poor man's M3 and no care can compare dollar for dollar.

I can't really comment on the Genesis as I have no experience as it's a car that I never considered and a car that has never appealed to me. That doesn't mean I think it's a bad car as the 370Z has never really appealed to me either even though I know its a decent car.

I already PMed you about your mustang but again tranny issues showing up already. Just imagine the troubles its gonna be with 100K if people are going through 5 transmission on there warranty period... ( i know this isnt much of a concern to you as you usually trade in before warrant is over but i plan on keeping the car a few years and drive ALOT)

Originally posted by A790
I've driven them both and they are very different cars in how the feel and act. The V6 Mustang has a bit more jam to it, but I think the 2.0T would be a better buy if you were looking to tune it.

Drive them and see which one you like the best. That's the only real solution :)

all 3 options have amazing potential (2.0 3.7 5.0) but as i said i already have my Toys to play with already and am just looking to have something for backup. The most any of the cars are going to see are wheels, springs, muffler, and tint.

Originally posted by epp01

Such a common story I've been on the mustang forums for quite some time now and everybody loves the cars but has tranny issues. There are literally more threads on the mustang forums on transmission issues than there are crankwalk issues on dsmtuners and the car has only been out 2 years.

LOLzilla Hey, Crazy take a look at picking up a new 5.0. Ford is offering 5K in rebates right off the bat on them, 1K for Costco customers, use a bit of negotiation and I'm sure you could pick one up for 33K. TTYL

Yes i probably could get a base 5.0 around that price point but Im looking for premiums only as It is required to have the interior upgrade package which the car absolutly needs... As well the fact the 3.7 gets very impressive gas mileage for 305HP is very attractive. As well I'm not eligible for the Costco rebate. Also surprisingly i like the v6 trim styling much better (hate those hideous fog lights in the grill)

Robnaldo
06-17-2011, 05:35 PM
I've read a lot about the manual transmission on the Genesis has a lot of problems as well, mainly 2nd to 3rd gear.....lots of people even suggesting going as far as buying an automatic.

heavyD
06-17-2011, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Robnaldo
I've read a lot about the manual transmission on the Genesis has a lot of problems as well, mainly 2nd to 3rd gear.....lots of people even suggesting going as far as buying an automatic.

Yeah I have also heard of transmission issues with the Genesis as well.

J-hop
06-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
The Mustang V6 goes like snot. It doesnt feel like a poor choice anymore. I've only driven an automatic version, but the 6 gears and decent final drive make for a very fun drive.

what are the stock performance #s for the v6? people keep claiming this but the only info I can find claims it will pull the 1/4 in the range of 15 seconds. that is slow as hell...

schocker
06-19-2011, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by J-hop

what are the stock performance #s for the v6? people keep claiming this but the only info I can find claims it will pull the 1/4 in the range of 15 seconds. that is slow as hell...
If you google it, there are many reviews, in my ten seconds of doing so, C&D put it at 14.0, also how is 15 slow as hell :dunno:

J-hop
06-19-2011, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by schocker

If you google it, there are many reviews, in my ten seconds of doing so, C&amp;D put it at 14.0, also how is 15 slow as hell :dunno:

ah thanks, yea that isn't too bad for the v6, most of the results i had found had returned threads of people's personal results. 15 seconds though? that may be "decent" in the econobox world but in the performance car world that is ridiculously slow. I drive a 24valve VR6 jetta which should pull the 1/4 in the 15 second range and its embarrassingly slow, its as slow if not slower than my mom's volvo wagon.

Wannago
06-19-2011, 12:01 PM

How do you Lemon Law a car in Alberta? I know you can get a lawyer to fight this for you but it's nowhere near as cut and dry as in the US and even in the US not everyone that files for it gets it.

^ My thoughts exactly...please...do tell!

Khalil.e
06-19-2011, 12:10 PM
Question for those posting:

Do the new GT500's suffer from the same tranny issues?

OP: I'd go with the Mustang

Aleks
06-19-2011, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

ah thanks, yea that isn't too bad for the v6, most of the results i had found had returned threads of people's personal results. 15 seconds though? that may be &quot;decent&quot; in the econobox world but in the performance car world that is ridiculously slow. I drive a 24valve VR6 jetta which should pull the 1/4 in the 15 second range and its embarrassingly slow, its as slow if not slower than my mom's volvo wagon.

Motor Trend got 13.8 @ 102 with the V6
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_1003_2011_ford_mustang_v_6_test/index.html

15s runs are probably done at higher altitudes. I've seen G37s run mid 15s here where it's really difficult to get a good run in. Only VR6 cars Ive seen run were always in the mid 16s at RC...

J-hop
06-19-2011, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

15s runs are probably done at higher altitudes. I've seen G37s run mid 15s here where it's really difficult to get a good run in. Only VR6 cars Ive seen run were always in the mid 16s at RC...

12 or 24 valve? most VRs you'll see are 12valves, there is a near 30hp difference. Either way a 15 is not a fast quarter, and i've had my car to vancouver, it wasn't fast here, it wasn't fast there.

heavyD
06-20-2011, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by Khalil.e
Question for those posting:

Do the new GT500's suffer from the same tranny issues?

OP: I'd go with the Mustang

GT500's use the more robust Tremec TR-6060 6-speed transmission.

Shlade
06-20-2011, 07:55 AM
AKA no. The 6060 does not suffer from any tranny issues.

Ford actually did quality work on that car. The ONLY issues the 6 speed transmissions suffer from is a cold grind in syncro 2-3 or 4.

Some people do not like the option but getting the auto transmission in the 5.0 is not bad at all. Beat the hell out of it and not worry about any syncro issues or clutch issues.

bootybandit
06-20-2011, 09:38 AM
I have the 2011 5.0l automatic and it's an absolute beast. I purchased with the Ford family pricing all in was 42k fully loaded every option. I should be running somewhere in the 12's this season with my mods. When I ran it stock at Race City I had a sh!tty 2.3 60 ft 13.5 at 107MPH.

Aleks
06-20-2011, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by bootybandit
I have the 2011 5.0l automatic and it's an absolute beast. I purchased with the Ford family pricing all in was 42k fully loaded every option. I should be running somewhere in the 12's this season with my mods. When I ran it stock at Race City I had a sh!tty 2.3 60 ft 13.5 at 107MPH.

107 mph at Race City for a stock naturally aspirated car is :drool: :burnout:

Edit: I just checked and there is a $6000+ rebate on the GT right now. Makes the car mid 30s with tax!

bootybandit
06-20-2011, 11:49 AM
July Ford will come out with there big discounts (Mine was around 12k) total. It was not hard to convince the wife she can keep the sedan and I buy the Mustang for 42k including tax etc I was sure a happy camper driving my car home from Edmonton last fall!

heavyD
06-20-2011, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Aleks

107 mph at Race City for a stock naturally aspirated car is :drool: :burnout:

Edit: I just checked and there is a $6000+ rebate on the GT right now. Makes the car mid 30s with tax!

You really need the Brembo option as it comes with retuned suspension. Without it the car doesn't handle nearly as well and feels like Mustangs of yore.

Shlade
06-20-2011, 12:02 PM
No offense HeavyD but your mustang handles no better than My stock 08 Bullitt did. It stops better sure. But the 10 and up cars got the same treatment in suspension works as the 08/09 bullitt did.

bootybandit
06-20-2011, 12:16 PM
I have after market lower control arms, upper control arm, panhard bar which kills the factory stuff so I am not to worried ;) My car shoots in a straight line no wheel hoop etc. That run was also with 3.15 gears I now have 3.73 gears in the diff.

heavyD
06-20-2011, 12:16 PM
No offense HeavyD but your mustang handles no better than My stock 08 Bullitt did. It stops better sure. But the 10 and up cars got the same treatment in suspension works as the 08/09 bullitt did.

Not offended at all but I am correct. Brembo package 2011 cars in addition to the brakes get revised suspension as well as a strut bar. It's been proven as Brembo package cars have different part numbers for struts and springs over the regular GT. Heck you can drive them back to back and it will become very apparent.;)

Shlade
06-20-2011, 12:17 PM
What are you running for performance mods?

Intake an a tune wakes the 5.0 up like no other.. tossing a few more extra upgrades makes a world of difference

Shlade
06-20-2011, 12:20 PM

Not offended at all but I am correct. Brembo package 2011 cars in addition to the brakes get revised suspension as well as a strut bar. It's been proven as Brembo package cars have different part numbers for struts and springs over the regular GT. Heck you can drive them back to back and it will become very apparent.;)

Ok i may of been wrong with the suspension(I thought all of them came factory right now with them) I know the 2010 GT's had factory strut bars and same suspension as the Bullitts.

But my 08 bullitt has the exact same suspension set up as yours then. They revised the struts and springs in the car and also added a strut brace to the car. Even though the springs were a bit stiffer and a tad bit lower than a regular gt the ride height and feel of the car just didnt do it for me so I got a set of steeda springs which helped a lot.

bootybandit
06-20-2011, 12:44 PM
I have gears, intake, tune, suspension, exhaust, off road x-pipe no cats, tires/rims. My Coyote hangs well with allot of cars on the street now ;)

Shlade
06-20-2011, 05:09 PM
you running the stock headers or longtube set up right now?

Toss some big n littles and fly down that track! Who you running the tune from right now?

bootybandit
06-20-2011, 10:00 PM
Headers on a N/A 2011 Mustang won't make a big difference (just huge sound). The factory stuff has good flow the cats are way more restrictive. Running tunes from Jon Lund and Bama.

Shlade
06-21-2011, 12:17 AM
Read a lot about Jons tunes. Heard they are just great.

I Ran BAMA on my car and thought it was pretty good. Keep up the good work on the car dude!

Crazyjoker77
06-29-2011, 09:16 PM
Well I went ahead with the Mustang. Picked up a 2012 v6 pony package.

Car has 1000km on it now and already have parts arriving.

I've got a SCT tuner and a 3.73 rear end as well as some new springs/struts/camber plates and a panhard bar.

Heres a quick pic right as a finished up installing HID kits for the headlights and fogs

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz315/Cmartin87/IMG_0418.jpg

corsvette
06-29-2011, 10:15 PM
Good choice, looks great!:thumbsup:

Shlade
06-30-2011, 12:35 PM
nice choice of first round mods :thumbsup:

Youll love the difference when you put those 3.73`s in!

I had 3.73s in my 08 gtb and they were nice for all sorts of driving! I was planning on getting some 4.56s :rofl:

M.alex
06-30-2011, 12:39 PM
nice choice of first round mods :thumbsup:

Youll love the difference when you put those 3.73`s in!

I had 3.73s in my 08 gtb and they were nice for all sorts of driving! I was planning on getting some 4.56s :rofl:

What ratio comes stock? When I went from 3.3x to 3.73s in my 99 mustang I didn't think it was worth it. Marginal difference at best. I'd do 4.10s next time.

Crazyjoker77
06-30-2011, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by M.alex

What ratio comes stock? When I went from 3.3x to 3.73s in my 99 mustang I didn't think it was worth it. Marginal difference at best. I'd do 4.10s next time.

V6s either come with 2.73(mine) or 3.31 the 5.0 come with 3.31 or 3.73

2.73 to 3.73 is a pretty decent jump and 99 tranny gearing is much different to begin with.

TE4MFaint
07-01-2011, 02:23 PM
saw it parked outside the apartments in southridge. looks great my friend.

i still think you should sell me your white gtfour ;)

GoChris
07-01-2011, 07:33 PM
Looks nice, but I sure hope you didn't put HIDs in a non projector housing.

npham
07-03-2011, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by GoChris
Looks nice, but I sure hope you didn't put HIDs in a non projector housing.

Looks like he did just that.