PDA

View Full Version : JL Audio w7's

ddsn23
01-18-2004, 01:39 AM
I have two 10' jlaudio w7's and they hit pretty good. i have a mtx thunder100d series amp but when i turn up my head unit a little past half the max volume, the speakers start clipping. now this amp is 1500watts rms but these speaker should be capable of handling that. any ideas on tuning this amp for better performance?

That.Guy.S30
01-18-2004, 11:04 AM
what do you mean your speakers start clipping? do you mean your subwoofers start clipping? or your actual speakers?

tt398
01-18-2004, 12:47 PM
What is the rated MINIMUM impedance that your amp can handle?
If you are running your speakers in PARALLEL you could be giving the amp too low of a load impedance.

For example

- if your amp is rated to handle a minimum impedance load of 2 Ohms

- and you are running a couple of 2 ohm speaker in parallel on each channel

- you will be offering an impedance load that is significantly less than 2 ohms per channel

- and the amps power supply won't be able to supply enough current to drive that load - hence a "clipped" sound

There are other possible culprits - but this would be a logical starting place in your troubleshooting routine.

;) ;)

ddsn23
01-18-2004, 01:34 PM
the actual subwoofers are clipping. like their being overdrived. but i've seen w7's in competeition that get much more power than i'm giving to them right now. the speakers inside are fine. my bad for the mixup. does anywone have that same amp that knows about tuning it?

tt398
01-19-2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by ddsn23
the actual subwoofers are clipping. like their being overdrived. but i've seen w7's in competeition that get much more power than i'm giving to them right now. the speakers inside are fine. my bad for the mixup. does anywone have that same amp that knows about tuning it?

Then you may have a problem with the following:

1) A vented enclosure that is tuned way below the F3 (free air resonance) of your woofer - assuming your woofer has a "floppy" rubber or foam cone surround

2) A sealed enclosure that is way TOO BIG for for Vas (volume air spring) of your woofer.

PM me with your enclosure and woofer details

:thumbsup:

That.Guy.S30
01-20-2004, 12:53 AM
no i think its his amp. either he wired it in a way where not all the power can go to the amp.. or the amp is just not powerful enough for the subs

tt398
01-20-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs
no i think its his amp. either he wired it in a way where not all the power can go to the amp.. or the amp is just not powerful enough for the subs

Agreed - it could be both problems. The simplest place to look is speaker phasing. Make sure all speakers positive terminals are connected to the appropriate positive terminal on the power amp. Likewise all speakers negative terminals should be connectied to the appropriate negative terminal on the power amps.

Note: this doesn't hold true for ISOBARIK aligmment enclosures.