PDA

View Full Version : Mount Royal Lost my Application

Zigo
06-21-2011, 08:22 PM
2nd year student, my first year was in open studies. Applied at the start of January for computer information systems, I have been stuck on the waiting for decision to be made till today. Iv called them every month seeing what has happened to it.

They say the same thing, "Give it two more weeks and call back".

I called again and was told they didn't know how they missed my application so they put me on a waitlist. and bumped me to number 5.

Should I just wait? Or should I call and complain a little.

If I didn't get in I would be fucked on a year of my life.

I was thinking about going down and printing off my online application and the date it was made Jan 14, 2011.

My marks are not bad 2.8.

Type_S1
06-21-2011, 08:34 PM
2.8 at mount royal and your complaining? Those are not decent grades at all from MRC.

But for your situation I would go into the office and take to an admissions lady with what you say printed off and see if they can do anything. Basically say you really want to get in and are excited to start your degree and see what they say. If they don't let you in ask them to allow you to at least take courses that count towards the degree.

gatorade
06-21-2011, 09:17 PM
2.8 is what? a b- or b?, not very good marks at all, I can see why you are still waitlisted. The amount of admissions at MRU have increased greatly ever since they became a university, I applied in december for a major and didn't get accepted until april, and my gpa for those the last two semesters was something like 3.64 and 3.76.

Go apply for another major, take courses that can go towards your program, get your gpa up, then transfer for the other major when you get accepted.

HillBilly
06-21-2011, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Zigo
2nd year student, my first year was in open studies. .....

If I didn't get in I would be fucked on a year of my life.

Well, first year of open studies, sounds like you chose to fuck away a year, so whats one more?:dunno:

magicalpoop
06-22-2011, 07:09 PM
lol you guys are so mean.
My best advice is to book an appointment with the admissions people. DOn't bother with over the phone or emails or etc. BOOK an appointment.

CUG
06-22-2011, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by HillBilly

Well, first year of open studies, sounds like you chose to fuck away a year, so whats one more?:dunno: No kidding. I purposely wasted a year at uni in open studies so that I could take as many different courses as possible before picking a program and a major. If I'm going to get a pointless piece of paper, it better been in something legitimately interesting. I'm not telling.

I apply online so that applications don't get lost.

Ps; I have a GPA killer that I took in my first semester. I'm retaking it so I can have a more accurate GPA. (Was noob, missed 5 online assignments)

EG6boi
06-24-2011, 12:35 AM
If you are sure you want to be in the CIS program, I would just take some introductory courses (first year) that are available to all students in General Education studies that would be counting towards your degree.

GPA does count depending on how popular the degree is. I did my application online too when I applied for my BBA program at MRU.

Zigo
06-25-2011, 08:44 PM
I got in, I think maybe like 5 hours after making the thread, I got raped in my second semester. Freaking accounting course.. Lowered my GPA so badly.

EG6boi
06-26-2011, 01:30 AM
Good thing you only need to take ACCT 2121. lol

Zigo
06-26-2011, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by EG6boi
Good thing you only need to take ACCT 2121. lol

That class ate me alive. Just glad I passed it and will never have to look at another balance sheet again.

I didn't put alot of work into it, which explains it. Bombed the Midterm, but did decent on the final.

leftwing
06-26-2011, 09:26 PM
ACCT 2121 is super hard for a first year course. I know many a people who struggled with that class.

403ep3
06-26-2011, 11:05 PM
Finance is fun too!

EG6boi
06-27-2011, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by leftwing
ACCT 2121 is super hard for a first year course. I know many a people who struggled with that class.

ACCT 2121 is only difficult if you're not majoring in Accounting. haha

ghomie
06-28-2011, 02:04 PM
lol...keep dreaming Mount Royal people...Mount Royal "University"....takes more than a day to become a University. Your still getting a college degree and employers know that :P

schocker
06-28-2011, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by ghomie
lol...keep dreaming Mount Royal people...Mount Royal "University"....takes more than a day to become a University. Your still getting a college degree and employers know that :P
I take it you go to uofc?
:facepalm:

colinxx235
06-28-2011, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by ghomie

You should at least review grammar/spelling before insulting as such.

Mitsu3000gt
06-28-2011, 02:49 PM
LOL at the MRU hate, and the people thinking you need a 3.75 to get into MRU.

When I was at MRC, every teacher I had except for one or two was also a teacher at the UofC or UofL. They used essentially the same curriculum. Zero difference in education quality IMO. That prof doesn't all of a sudden do a worse job teaching because they are in a different building. Biggest difference is class size, which many would argue is better when it's smaller (although I personally HATE small classes).

As always, certain schools are better for certain majors than others.

Most people bashing MRU have never even been there.

ghomie
06-28-2011, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by colinxx235

You should at least review grammar/spelling before insulting as such.

lol...who cares...

dandia89
06-28-2011, 03:07 PM
why is there always a u of c vs mru battle?

its like two retarded kids fighting

Mitsu3000gt
06-28-2011, 03:23 PM
^^^ People always want to feel like their education is superior to others, especially if they have to pay for it themselves. It's no different with most other things. I participate in the debate but I agree it's fairly pointless haha.

vtec4life
06-28-2011, 03:38 PM
One thing you Can't argue with is the ladies at MRU own UofC

Type_S1
06-28-2011, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
^^^ People always want to feel like their education is superior to others, especially if they have to pay for it themselves. It's no different with most other things. I participate in the debate but I agree it's fairly pointless haha.

Ya arguing about it is completely pointless. Both schools offer different things for sure so you cannot really compare the graduates. MRU isn't putting out Bcomm's, they are putting out BBA's so you cannot compare the two.

MRU kids argue for "quality" of education claiming class sizes make all the difference...that's why even retards have 3.5 GPA's.

UofC kids argue for recognition of the degree and say employers love the BComms...and a 3.5GPA here is actually quite an accomplishment from what I have been told.

The only person who gets to decide is the employer...and most already know who the employer chooses 90% of the time.

403ep3
06-28-2011, 05:12 PM
Lol the employer chooses who is the best candidate. It's not all about your grades, but also the amount of extra cirricular activities as well.

I think it's 50/50

EG6boi
06-29-2011, 12:39 AM
There's nothing to argue about. If you don't like MRU, then go get your education elsewhere. Nobody's complaining. Everybody in this thread can make their own decisions. We're all grown ups here haha.

Guillermo
06-29-2011, 11:02 AM
LOL at the MRU hate, and the people thinking you need a 3.75 to get into MRU.

When I was at MRC, every teacher I had except for one or two was also a teacher at the UofC or UofL. They used essentially the same curriculum. Zero difference in education quality IMO. That prof doesn't all of a sudden do a worse job teaching because they are in a different building. Biggest difference is class size, which many would argue is better when it's smaller (although I personally HATE small classes).

As always, certain schools are better for certain majors than others.

Most people bashing MRU have never even been there.

this isn't quite true - anyone teaching at both would certainly only be an "instructor" at the U of C. Instructor positions are usually temporary positions advertised when a faculty member (i.e. asst., assoc., or full professor) goes on sabbatical, and thus they require a lot less in terms of credentials on the part of the instructor. so no, you don't get taught the same things by the same people at both schools.

Mitsu3000gt
06-29-2011, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Guillermo

this isn't quite true - anyone teaching at both would certainly only be an "instructor" at the U of C. Instructor positions are usually temporary positions advertised when a faculty member (i.e. asst., assoc., or full professor) goes on sabbatical, and thus they require a lot less in terms of credentials on the part of the instructor. so no, you don't get taught the same things by the same people at both schools.

Maybe I was just lucky then, but most of my prof's had Ph.D's, so it would seem they were more than qualified for the position unless there are some additional credential I'm not aware of.

Also, what I meant is if the same individual teaches at both schools, they don't just do a shitty job teaching at one, and all of a sudden step it up 10 fold at the other school. I'd be surprised if it worked like that. The ones I had told our classes that the material was the same as wherever else they taught, whether it be UofC, UofL, etc. Thats why so many classes had equivalents to the university class, and when I transferred to the University, I got credit for all the classes I could have taken at the UofC but at a higher cost.

Anyways, thats just how it worked for me, maybe it isn't the same for all faculties. In my case, my degree is from the UofL, but half my schooling was done at MRC for way less money than it would have cost for the identical courses at the university.

EG6boi
06-29-2011, 01:45 PM

Maybe I was just lucky then, but most of my prof's had Ph.D's, so it would seem they were more than qualified for the position unless there are some additional credential I'm not aware of.

Also, what I meant is if the same individual teaches at both schools, they don't just do a shitty job teaching at one, and all of a sudden step it up 10 fold at the other school. I'd be surprised if it worked like that. The ones I had told our classes that the material was the same as wherever else they taught, whether it be UofC, UofL, etc. Thats why so many classes had equivalents to the university class, and when I transferred to the University, I got credit for all the classes I could have taken at the UofC but at a higher cost.

Anyways, thats just how it worked for me, maybe it isn't the same for all faculties. In my case, my degree is from the UofL, but half my schooling was done at MRC for way less money than it would have cost for the identical courses at the university.

True. +1

Most associate professors at MRU are from U of C anyways. They all use to teach there until they came to MRU instead because they value the student's education more than research. Although MRU doesn't thrive on research (since they are fairly new as a university), they are in the process of doing more of that meanwhile maintaining relationships with students.

colinxx235
06-29-2011, 01:54 PM
AFAIK MRU(or when it was MRC) is the same cost/course not...?

I don't know much about MRC/U relative to other programs except for Engineering. I did find that many of the students who did the Two year xfer program had tons of difficulties adjusting to the increased work load and difficulty of U of C Engg. I don't know if MRU will ever fulfill the requirements to offer that degree anyways.

Isaiah
06-29-2011, 01:56 PM
I actually had coffee recently with one of my profs (Ph.D) who formerly worked at U of C. We specifically discussed the MRU/U of C debate and she was of the firm opinion that the quality of instruction is better at MRU due to higher faculty engagement.

U of C as a well established university puts a lot of emphasis on research, thereby making that their core competency. MRU conversely, emphasizes the instructional component more although the instructors are certainly expected to conduct research and present peer-reviewed papers.

Chandler_Racing
06-29-2011, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah
I actually had coffee recently with one of my profs (Ph.D) who formerly worked at U of C. We specifically discussed the MRU/U of C debate and she was of the firm opinion that the quality of instruction is better at MRU due to higher faculty engagement.

U of C as a well established university puts a lot of emphasis on research, thereby making that their core competency. MRU conversely, emphasizes the instructional component more although the instructors are certainly expected to conduct research and present peer-reviewed papers.

I think this about nails it.

On paper, the UofC holds more prestige given it has been around for a while. However, in practice the quality of the education is quite possibly higher at MRU.

There are top tear professionals that come from both schools.

J-D
06-29-2011, 04:53 PM
Branding plays a huge role in the value of your education when applying for a job, as stupid as that may seem. The UofC is a G13 institution which presents itself as more recognized. On average employers here in Calgary understand that those with better high school grades generally go to UofC over MRU.

As far as the actual education you are receiving? It's probably similar.

rx7boi
06-30-2011, 04:20 AM
LoL, this might be off topic but...

curriculum wise, the graduation requirements for AU@MRC are higher than the psych degree @ U of C.

At U of C you only need 2 senior courses to graduate as opposed to the 5 needed for AU@MRC program. I've had a couple of students who did their psych undergrad @ UC going into a masters and are surprised that AU grads have already taken some of their graduate courses.

Type_S1
06-30-2011, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by J-D
Branding plays a huge role in the value of your education when applying for a job, as stupid as that may seem. The UofC is a G13 institution which presents itself as more recognized. On average employers here in Calgary understand that those with better high school grades generally go to UofC over MRU.

As far as the actual education you are receiving? It's probably similar.

QFT!

If you have the grades you go to a more recognized school like U of C, U of A, head to Victoria or Toronto and get a degree professionals know you worked for. You don't have the highschool grades you go to MRC and get a degree with a lot less hard work then at the other schools. A degree is a degree is a degree but the fact is that people will still favor U of C students over MRU students regardless of the "education quality".

I think the education quality at most places sucks because 90% of what you learn is useless in your career and in life. At U of C you have 20 magical courses you have to take for your business degree that have nothing to do with business. How is a sociology or phyc class ever going to help a business student? It won't...so I say the quality of education sucks. But the thing is MRU has the same "general studies" courses so the education, IMO, sucks.

U of C also offers tons of different majors where as mount royal has very few. :dunno:

Guillermo
06-30-2011, 10:30 AM
as someone who attended 2 community colleges and 3 universities, I can tell you that there are big differences in the qualifications required to teach at U of C vs. MRU.

first, U of C is much more selective in faculty searches than MRU, just like they are more selective in undergrad enrollment (and just like Harvard is more selective than U of C). There are literally 100-200 applicants for positions in some departments at U of C; contrast that with MRU, where I've known several fresh graduates with MSc and PhD who have gotten teaching assignments with little to no experience. (and mitsu, just having a PhD is not the only qualification that makes osmeone a good academic - but that's another conversation).

The reason some people teach at both institutions is because they are filling transient "Instructor" positions when a faculty member goes on sabbatical at U of C (this is analogous to a substitute teacher in high school). These positions leave the department scrambling to find a replacement, and they take what they can get. The transient nature of such positions should be a red flag.

and finally, of course folks at MRU are going to claim they offer a better education than U of C... their career is their livelihood. they're certainly not going to say "i teach (and make less money) here because I can't find a job at a better institution."

Guillermo
06-30-2011, 10:39 AM
also, for me this isn't a debate about MRU vs. U of C, as I think they are different things entirely. both are useful, but in different ways. but when I see several people trying to equate the two, I feel that I should say something about it; these institutions are not the same, nor is the type of education that you receive at them.

Myrrinda
06-30-2011, 11:57 AM
For those people that think employers will hire UofC over MRU, you are wrong. I work for one of the big 4 accounting firms, and we hire students from both UofC and MRU (as well as other universities, such as UofL, UofS, UofA, etc). Having worked with people from these different universities, it's usually pretty easy to tell which ones went to Mt Royal because they are usually comfortable asking questions, are used to working in small team settings, have a better understanding of accounting, and so on. I'm not bashing a large university education, but it's true that profs at UofC care more about their research, while profs at MRU care more about their students' education. I've attended both schools, so I know there's a huge difference in the education received. And the fact that students at Mt Royal have higher GPAs, at least in Accounting, is due to the fact that the instruction is better, it's not because it's easier. They actually care if you understand or not and they want you to succeed, whereas at UofC it's everyone for themselves. I had one prof at UofC my whole 5 years there that cared about her students, and she ended up getting laid off because she wanted to focus on the students rather than the research.

Guillermo
06-30-2011, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Myrrinda
And the fact that students at Mt Royal have higher GPAs, at least in Accounting, is due to the fact that the instruction is better, it's not because it's easier.

i LOLed. that's like saying GPAs at SAIT are higher than MIT because the quality of education is higher. :banghead:

comparing GPA like you did is tenuous because it's not measured consistently among institutions. however, a 3.5 from U of C will always appear superior to a 3.5 from MRU, because everyone knows the admission standards are higher, the courses are more rigorous, and the faculty is better. :dunno: that's the same reason that a 3.5 from Harvard will always appear superior to a 3.5 from the U of C. :dunno:

Type_S1
06-30-2011, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Myrrinda
For those people that think employers will hire UofC over MRU, you are wrong. I work for one of the big 4 accounting firms, and we hire students from both UofC and MRU (as well as other universities, such as UofL, UofS, UofA, etc). Having worked with people from these different universities, it's usually pretty easy to tell which ones went to Mt Royal because they are usually comfortable asking questions, are used to working in small team settings, have a better understanding of accounting, and so on. I'm not bashing a large university education, but it's true that profs at UofC care more about their research, while profs at MRU care more about their students' education. I've attended both schools, so I know there's a huge difference in the education received. And the fact that students at Mt Royal have higher GPAs, at least in Accounting, is due to the fact that the instruction is better, it's not because it's easier. They actually care if you understand or not and they want you to succeed, whereas at UofC it's everyone for themselves. I had one prof at UofC my whole 5 years there that cared about her students, and she ended up getting laid off because she wanted to focus on the students rather than the research.

LOL....that made me laugh very hard. A 3.5 at harvard>3.5 @ u of c >(much greater) 3.5 @ MRC

dimi
06-30-2011, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1

LOL....that made me laugh very hard. A 3.5 at harvard>3.5 @ u of c >(much greater) 3.5 @ MRC

Alright we got the point dude. Haskayne = Harvard. I think you're better off talking about Prada suits.

schocker
06-30-2011, 06:31 PM

When someone is talking from first hand experience it over-rides your hardon for uofc. :facepalm:
This was a thread about an application to MRU and has turned into all of the uofc students bashing on mount royal and how it pales in comparison to the amazing university which is uofc :rolleyes:

Isaiah
06-30-2011, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by schocker

When someone is talking from first hand experience it over-rides your hardon for uofc. :facepalm:
This was a thread about an application to MRU and has turned into all of the uofc students bashing on mount royal and how it pales in comparison to the amazing university which is uofc :rolleyes:
Amen. This thread has established nothing more than the fact that U of C students are more arrogant than their MRU counterparts.

Chandler_Racing
06-30-2011, 10:04 PM

LOL... are you trying to say a 3.5GPA at Harvard is close to a 3.5GPA at the UofC?

But a 3.5GPA at the UofC is way better than a 3.5GPA at MRC? :rofl:

Type_S1
06-30-2011, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Chandler_Racing

LOL... are you trying to say a 3.5GPA at Harvard is close to a 3.5GPA at the UofC?

But a 3.5GPA at the UofC is way better than a 3.5GPA at MRC? :rofl:

No, none are even closely comparable. Like said before they offer different things. :dunno: U of C isn't a good school compared to almost every other actual University in Canada but the thing is, it is still accredited and recognizable.

People just get upset when they hear things they don't like...instead of reading my posts and seeing me say I think U of C provides a shitty education. They just see that someone says you get a better job out of university from u of c and MRU kids get mad and say you think it is harvard :facepalm:

EG6boi
06-30-2011, 11:12 PM

Amen. This thread has established nothing more than the fact that U of C students are more arrogant than their MRU counterparts.

1+

gatorade
07-02-2011, 12:09 AM
Hasn't uofc been rated near the very end, somewhere about second last to third last in Mcleans ratings of universities for the past few years?

Zigo
07-02-2011, 12:32 AM
I'v never really explored U of C. I'v only had one bitchy MRU teacher. Other then that the people are cool, gym is great, and girls are cute. And at the end I'll have a paper saying I'm decent at something.

I'm happy where I am.

sh0ko
07-05-2011, 11:18 AM
i went to uofc and i have one thing to say... IT FUCKING SUCKS

dimi
07-05-2011, 11:48 AM

It also establishes that you're an idiot for passing such a generalization.

Isaiah
07-05-2011, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by dimi

It also establishes that you're an idiot for passing such a generalization.
Case in point.

EG6boi
07-06-2011, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by sh0ko
i went to uofc and i have one thing to say... IT FUCKING SUCKS

My brother said the same lol. He finished and said he would of wanted to get his education elsewhere.

gatorade
07-06-2011, 10:52 PM

My brother said the same lol. He finished and said he would of wanted to get his education elsewhere.

I spent my first two semesters at uofc and totally hated it.

ZenOps
07-07-2011, 10:48 AM
This is Alberta. Take it as a sign, take the year get a job and make some money before it all falls apart.

VpZtX32sKVE

At least in the US, on six years tution and lost wage you are looking at an immediate ~$400,000 to get that college diploma.

If you really want an education, you can get the entire course history of MIT online for completely free.

Celente is cruel, but the facts are staggering.

Sugarphreak
07-07-2011, 12:55 PM

HyperZell
07-07-2011, 01:45 PM

And I would "of" wanted to go there instead of MRU.

I think for a lot of people (not the biased ones who currently go to one) the perception is that UofC > Sait > MRU. And remember the old adage: perception is reality.

dirtsniffer
07-07-2011, 02:49 PM
Zenops, wtf is that shit your watching.
if i could have gotten my degree at mrc i would have, but i had to transfer to the u of c and i have 2 semesters left :) can't wait to be done

ZenOps
07-07-2011, 05:24 PM
Its reality.

In the US students are no longer allowed to default on their student loans. Anyone is still allowed to default on their credit card loans.

The numbers are correct, a person who takes six years (which is the average) in the US comes out with an approximate $460,000 disadvantage to someone who enters the workforce immediately after high school.

Ralph would probably agree. There is nothing wrong with working hard on a oilrig or a coal mine, instead of taking a few extra years of education.

I am for higher education, but don't be under the illusion that it will be a magic bullet of some sort.

dirtsniffer
07-07-2011, 07:06 PM
those cost are so inflated, know one I know took six years to get a degree. and 30,000 a year for tuition, I don't know about that

WithTheLightsOn
07-07-2011, 08:05 PM
LOL at this thread going off-topic twice now.

ZenOps
07-07-2011, 09:43 PM
You tell me. I don't know what it costs anymore to go to University.

Tuition, books, gas or transit, dorm or live at home, ramen noodle or pizza.

At the end of four years, its totally possible to be $80,000 down if you do not have any family or the like in support. And since you aren't making income in that period of time - its all considered debt even though a lot of it is just basic living cost.