PDA

View Full Version : Castrol Raceway Announces Construction Of 2.7 Kilometer Road Course

Russo
06-21-2011, 11:03 PM
http://www.castrolraceway.com/index.php?mo=comment&blog_id=39 (http://)
ASTROL RACEWAY ANNOUNCES CONSTRUCTION OF 2.7 KILOMETER ROAD COURSE

June 21, 2011

CASTROL RACEWAY ANNOUNCES CONSTRUCTION OF 2.7 KILOMETER ROAD COURSE

At a press conference held earlier today, Castrol Raceway owners Rob Reeves and Ron Hodgson, along with Dave Fifield C.O.O. of Wakefield Canada Inc., announced the construction of a 2.7 Kilometer Road Course at the raceway. The Road Course will be the newest addition to Castrol Raceway, which also boasts a ¼ Mile IHRA sanctioned Drag Strip, 3/8 Mile clay Oval and a 10 Acre Pro Motocross Track.

A Road Course has been in the works on the Castrol Raceway property since it was first built 20 years ago. “With the commitment of Wakefield Canada (Castrol’s Canadian parent company) to remain the Title Sponsor and partner of the race track, it seemed like the ideal time to build,” said Rob Reeves.

If all goes according to plan, the Road Course will be fully completed within three years. Phase one is currently underway and will consist of completing the first 1.4 km loop of track with the hope of being operational by the end of this summer. Phase two will see the completion of the second 1.3 loop, and phase three will bring it all together.

The Road Course will bring a whole new dimension of racing to Castrol Raceway - open and closed wheel racing, Formula Atlantic/Indy Lights and Grand Am racing along with road cars special track days.

With the rumored closure of Calgary’s Race City Motorsport Park, Castrol Raceway’s new Road Course will be the only track in the vicinity with the next closest one located in Mission, B.C.

According to Reeves, “Castrol Raceway will rival the best motorsports facilities in North America, bringing back the same excitement that was felt with the Edmonton International Speedway.”

It’s an exciting time for Castrol Raceway, Canada’s Premier Motorsports Complex. This weekend will see the top drag racers from across North America come to Edmonton for Canada’s biggest drag racing event: the 9th annual Mopar Rocky Mountain Nitro Jam Nationals (June 24-26). Over 40,000 spectators will experience the ground-pounding excitement of Top Fuel Dragsters and the nitro-powered mayhem that makes up the IHRA Nitro Jam Drag Racing series. From 8,000 horsepower, 300 mph Top Fuel Dragsters to 20,000 horsepower, flame-throwing jet semis, and the one and only Grave Digger, race fans will witness the fury, mayhem and adrenaline-soaked thrill of drag racing entertainment.

Later on this summer (August 6 & 7) Castrol Raceway will play host to the one and only Monster Jam monster truck show! There’s nothing like the original and this year’s line-up includes the superstars of Monster Jam: Grave Digger, Superman, Monster Mutt and Captain’s Curse. The trucks will have all the space they need in Castrol Raceway’s outdoor arena to thrill monster truck fans.

The World of Outlaws return to Castrol Raceway for the Oil City Cup (August 26 & 27). For two days Castrol Raceway will again be the center of the Sprint Car Universe, as the best drivers in the world, return for the 5th Annual World of Outlaws: Oil City Cup. The winged warriors will do battle with their fire-breathing 850-plus horsepower machines each night for the $10,000 top prize. The Oil City Cup is the only chance in 2011 that Sprint Car fans in Western Canada have to see the World of Outlaws in action, with their thrilling wheel-to-wheel brand of racing, just centimeters apart at breathtaking speeds.
And for the first time in Canada, Castrol Raceway hosts the Super Chevy Show this September long weekend (September 2-4). Making its Canadian debut in 2011, the Super Chevy Show tour brings high-powered Chevy racing excitement and beautiful classic Chevy Show Cars to Castrol Raceway. Incredible show cars take center stage in the Car Show Series – the nation’s largest single-make car show series. Chevy fans will be treated to two separate shows Saturday and Sunday! Don’t want your car to be judged? Then join your friends in the non-judged Show ‘n Shine Class. Don’t miss the Super Chevy Show!

Russo
06-21-2011, 11:37 PM
Track layout

http://members.shaw.ca/dkendal/castrol.jpg

RickDaTuner
06-21-2011, 11:44 PM
not a track buff, but that layout looks kind ho-hum... also whats with the short straight?

maybe I'm just asking too much

HiTempguy1
06-22-2011, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
not a track buff, but that layout looks kind ho-hum... also whats with the short straight?

maybe I'm just asking too much

Straights are lame anyways. I can't wait for this to be done, the track looks more exciting than Race City! Credit where credit is due and all that other stuff, the simple fact that they are paving something that does not only consist of left hand turns is amazing!

LUCKYSTRIKE
06-22-2011, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

the track looks more exciting than Race City!

ehhhh I'd disagree. Race city has the same front and back straights, and the technical section is just way more technical. Looks boring IMO but your right better then a straight up oval.

kenny
06-22-2011, 12:28 AM
Hmm looks kinda boring, but at least its a track. You can see it on Google Maps already too.

Tik-Tok
06-22-2011, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by kenny
Hmm looks kinda boring, but at least its a track.

:werd:

More than we'll have next year.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-22-2011, 06:45 AM
Good stuff! A track is a track and we don't have many round these parts.

HHURICANE1
06-22-2011, 08:26 AM
2.7 km is pretty short. That's only about 1.5 miles. to bad it's not going to be longer.

94_S14
06-22-2011, 08:55 AM
lol wow, cant believe how many complainers are out there. Glad to see you all have enough money to think the 2.7km track is lacking as well as too short for your liking.

I am just as excited as the rest of you to watch large yellow machinery push the Calgary track away as Castrol receives brand new infrastructure, paving, and services...
/end sarcasm.

Id love to have that track here in Calgary! and last i checked, i had plenty of fun tearing through the haggard pot hole infested short track Calgary even has to offer.

rage2
06-22-2011, 09:22 AM
Turns 3/4 and 8/9/10 looks fun.

Straights are boring. Race city is such a power track, can't set competitive times unless u have stupid hp.

I like this course.

AllGoNoShow
06-22-2011, 09:36 AM
Awesome! Good job Castrol, close enough I will drive out to it all the time.

Mikespecr1
06-22-2011, 10:24 AM
where is it?

chkolny541
06-22-2011, 10:40 AM
ed.

8Ball
06-22-2011, 03:09 PM
“Castrol Raceway will rival the best motorsports facilities in North America”

we are that dumb? but take what we can get!

Who the hell planned turned 12?

cloud7
06-22-2011, 04:10 PM
I like the track layout. The track is maybe a little on the short side. It's about ~400 m shorter than Race City but I think people will run similar lap times with the lack of a stupidly long straight like Race City.

It is never boring when you are racing wheel to wheel against other cars... unless you are running by yourself in the middle of an Enduro race.

89s1
06-22-2011, 05:28 PM
Great news.

Hopefully its a huge success and wakes this city the F up.

Mr_ET
06-22-2011, 06:39 PM
some of you guys are complaining because they are building a track you find boring?

LOL guys it's an effing track, like a real one... getting built.

You won't have any soon so stop complaining and start sending in thank you notes:poosie:

Inzane
06-22-2011, 06:41 PM
Yay. :clap:

Real close to where I live too.

HiTempguy1
06-22-2011, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by LUCKYSTRIKE

ehhhh I'd disagree. Race city has the same front and back straights, and the technical section is just way more technical. Looks boring IMO but your right better then a straight up oval.

http://usera.ImageCave.com/bkburger123/racecity.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/dkendal/castrol.jpg

Sorry, but I'm inclined to think you guys don't know what you are talking about. I mean, I guess the carousel is "technical" :nut: I'm not saying this will be the next Laguna Seca or something, but it'll be better than Race City :dunno:

m10-power
06-22-2011, 08:42 PM
Looks good, best part is the 1/4 track will be separate, that is great news.

Race city is for sure a hp track, this new one looks to be a great layout. Lots of technical corner combinations 6-7, 8-9 will be interesting with 11-12 being one not to mess up.

Bit short but better then nothing, going to be great for mid hp cars with lots of traction. High hp cars will still be king, but traction will rule.

Point by passing will be a must as there isn't much for passing zones which race city is great for, will also be an awesome racing track, especially on a bike.

Redlyne_mr2
06-22-2011, 11:16 PM
For all those complaining, I never see any of you at the track ever so not sure why you need to express your opinions here (much love to RickDAt. :))

Anyways, this is great new!

RickDaTuner
06-22-2011, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
For all those complaining, I never see any of you at the track ever so not sure why you need to express your opinions here (much love to RickDAt. :))

Anyways, this is great news!

Thanks Buddy LOL :D

As for the track, i wasn't hating. Alberta just has a huge potential for some technical tracks, with all the elevation changes in our landscape, and a heck of a lot of open farm land to build on.

My thought was why build a double loop track packed with turns when you could build a track broken up into two to three sections, fast sweepers, technical turns. and some challenging elevation raises and drops.

Props to who ever is funding this and putting the effort in.

I just wish that something was developed to bring in some major motor sports like GT, formula 3, or heck even Formula 1 over to the western part of the world.

All in all... its ho-hum based on those facts. will it be fun... heck yeah... its it going to challenge the everday to weekend racers, and pro alike sure.

I don't know about the 2 hour drive there and back though. Suffering a off, or mechanical failure out there with out the support of a car trailer is going to be one huge hassle

Zewind
06-23-2011, 06:20 AM
AWESOME! :thumbsup:

tomt64
06-23-2011, 12:20 PM
Cant wait :)

jdmgt
06-23-2011, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by m10-power
Point by passing will be a must as there isn't much for passing zones which race city is great for, will also be an awesome racing track, especially on a bike.

they said the track will be 12m wide. so i dont think passing will be an issue.

so looking forward to this!!!

88CRX
06-23-2011, 07:05 PM
Now we just need one in Calgary!

And that straight at racecity is a brake killer haha!

CUG
06-23-2011, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX

And that straight at racecity is a brake killer haha! I've boiled my shit and ran off the top once before lol.

Revhard
07-14-2011, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner

Thanks Buddy LOL :D

As for the track, i wasn't hating. Alberta just has a huge potential for some technical tracks, with all the elevation changes in our landscape, and a heck of a lot of open farm land to build on.

My thought was why build a double loop track packed with turns when you could build a track broken up into two to three sections, fast sweepers, technical turns. and some challenging elevation raises and drops.

Props to who ever is funding this and putting the effort in.

I just wish that something was developed to bring in some major motor sports like GT, formula 3, or heck even Formula 1 over to the western part of the world.

All in all... its ho-hum based on those facts. will it be fun... heck yeah... its it going to challenge the everday to weekend racers, and pro alike sure.

I don't know about the 2 hour drive there and back though. Suffering a off, or mechanical failure out there with out the support of a car trailer is going to be one huge hassle

There is one being looked at right now, close to Calgary. That kind of track is big money, think 500 mil. See if it flies, but doubtful.
Some very creative thinking needed to make a serious track pay with such a short season (june=rain). This is a good start to keep the road racers happy and driving.

Darell_n
07-14-2011, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Revhard

There is one being looked at right now, close to Calgary.

Airdrie really would be the best choice. No sales tax would also help.

Go4Long
07-14-2011, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Revhard
think 500 mil.

I'm not sure which part of your anatomy you're pulling that figure out of...

The 5.3 km circuit in Qatar cost $58 million US to build (and they built it in under a year) including what was at the time (2004) the largest lighting project of a permanent sports facility since they run the races there at night to be more inline with international TV broadcasting.

Granted, the 5.5km circuit in Abu Dhabi was $1.38 Billion, but the idea that you have to spend that much on a racing facility is a little out there.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's not possible to spend it, because obviously it is...but for a facility that can only be used 6 months a year, I think the more budget friendly route would be a little easier to garner intrest from investors for.

MGCM
07-15-2011, 01:05 AM
If the facility is properly designed and managed they could see multiple use of the facility during the winter season from several sources, thus making it useful 12 months of the year. Winter Drivers-ed(Daily and/or weekly courses, maybe the Government of Alberta would even provide some instructors) and don't forget Winter Rally-x, and Rally Test days.

Revhard
07-15-2011, 10:04 PM
I got that number from a presentation by a design firm, with F1 driver on-hand.
I totally agree a budget track is better, but I'm just saying that there is interest and land in-hand for a top tier track like was mentioned. Will it work?
I hope so, but it will be a huge undertaking.
I was thinking 100 mil when I heard, but what do i know.

Go4Long
07-15-2011, 10:10 PM
$100 million is realistic. I would say that's a figure that could get us a facility that could bring some international scale events our way if the money is spent in the right places.

Tram Common
07-18-2011, 05:45 PM
This doesn't help us out at all... but lucky for Edmonton.

syritis
09-05-2011, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX

And that straight at racecity is a brake killer haha!

the straight is very nice. that you can get all the cooling you need.
stratotech is hard on brakes. lemme tell you boiling some wilwood 600 in less then a day is fun shit.