PDA

View Full Version : Where to find pickled carrots

Sophal
06-22-2011, 02:18 AM
Anyone know where i can buy those vietnamese pickled carrots simular to the ones they put in the viet subs? Also i'm not certain if i head down to a viet sub shop they would sell it without the rest of the sub.

TIA

Guillermo
06-22-2011, 08:21 AM
i don't know where to get them, but i've eaten them a lot and they don't seem like they are difficult to prepare. just seems like carrots tossed/soaked in vinegar, and put on the sandwich. :dunno: so it seems pretty easy to make (i.e. you don't have to go through a long process of sterilizing them in a jar and waiting 2 months for them to pickle.) maybe someone has a recipe, or did you try google?

sputnik
06-22-2011, 08:29 AM
Make them yourself.

Heat one part white vinegar and one part sugar in a pot until it reaches a boil and the sugar is dissolved.

Pour in a sealer jar over grated carrots.

Put in fridge and wait 24-48 hours before using.

ExtraSlow
06-22-2011, 09:20 AM
if you don't want to make them, the log barn by north hill mall sells them, as well as picked asparagus, and lots of other stuff. Grab a pie while you are there.

sputnik
06-22-2011, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
if you don't want to make them, the log barn by north hill mall sells them, as well as picked asparagus, and lots of other stuff. Grab a pie while you are there.

Those aren't the matchstick style like on viet subs.

n1zm0
06-22-2011, 09:29 AM
when i was younger my mom made lots of pickled chili sliced to eat with friend noodles or w/e (M'sian thing).

it was really easy:

-put your vinegar in a pot and start boiling

-Add some sugar to it (not alot but 'enough' for that sweet after taste - i believe bahn mi carrots have some sugar in it)

-with a cleaned out pickle/jam jar or mason jar (we usually added some garlic pieces at the bottom for more taste) put all the carrots in.

-add the boiling vinegar and seal the cap right away, it will suck the popping lid down usually for that 'air tight factory' effect lol

-2 weeks later you have homemade pickled anything ready to eat.

edit: lol didnt even see sputnik posted the exact same thing

Sophal
06-22-2011, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
Make them yourself.

Heat one part white vinegar and one part sugar in a pot until it reaches a boil and the sugar is dissolved.

Pour in a sealer jar over grated carrots.

Put in fridge and wait 24-48 hours before using.

if it's that simple, i'll just give it a shot. Hopefully it turns out alright. But the mess free/work is still preferred.

SScott
06-22-2011, 09:33 AM
Buy pickles, eat pickles, julien carrots, put carrots in pickle car, profit

calgary403
06-22-2011, 04:58 PM
My Tho butcher shop next to vern's pizza in the SE sells them. They also sell the bread for the banh mi.

Sophal
06-22-2011, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by calgary403
My Tho butcher shop next to vern's pizza in the SE sells them. They also sell the bread for the banh mi.

Nice i know exactly where that is thanks