PDA

View Full Version : Bike won't engage gears

Troll-ol
06-22-2011, 09:24 AM
When I shift gears on my bike I can hear/see it going through the gears, the chain is still attached fine, the problem is if I let out the clutch in gear 1 for example it just sits there.

What would this be?

swak
06-22-2011, 09:27 AM
Is the engine attached?

Troll-ol
06-22-2011, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by swak
Is the engine attached? Yes, only thing I took off was the chain cover just to make sure it was still on.

kevie88
06-22-2011, 10:16 AM
Maybe the clutch is gone. What kind of bike is this?

I've seen front sprockets that were so worn out that they didn't have teeth at all any more. Does the front sprocket still have it's teeth?

Troll-ol
06-22-2011, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by kevie88
Maybe the clutch is gone. What kind of bike is this?

I've seen front sprockets that were so worn out that they didn't have teeth at all any more. Does the front sprocket still have it's teeth? Yeah the teeth are fine. It's a yamaha xt225. It was fine then got it into some clay/mud and now it's doing this.

SJW
06-23-2011, 10:41 AM
Take off the clutch cover and tell us what you see.

Troll-ol
06-23-2011, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by SJW
Take off the clutch cover and tell us what you see. Is the clutch cover the side part by the shifter?

Abeo
06-23-2011, 03:58 PM
Clutch is on the brake side. With the engine off, can you put it in gear, and push the bike without the engine turning over? Does the bike want to move forward at all when the engine is running and clutch out in gear?

Did this slowly happen, or was it sudden?

Troll-ol
06-23-2011, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Abeo
Clutch is on the brake side. With the engine off, can you put it in gear, and push the bike without the engine turning over? Does the bike want to move forward at all when the engine is running and clutch out in gear?

Did this slowly happen, or was it sudden? Okay, if the bike is on, I can shift it and see it going through the gears, but it doesn't put power down to the chain if that makes senses? I can sit there in gear 1 with clutch out and not move.

It just happened all the sudden, it was shifting great then got in some clay and doesn't work.

Abeo
06-23-2011, 04:36 PM
It could be that you sheared the transmission output shaft, or smoked the clutch. A smoked clutch will usually still have a little bite when the engine is off, thats why I asked if you can push it in gear with the engine off. Its most likely that you smoked the clutch... does the oil smell burnt?

Troll-ol
06-25-2011, 01:09 PM
Even when it's in 1st gear or whatever I can push the bike around.