PDA

View Full Version : Friendly Reminder to verify CarFax and CarProof reports

Kg810
06-22-2011, 09:30 AM
Just want to warn and remind fellow Beyonders to verify any CarFax and CarProof reports you get from dealerships and private sellers. There are a ton of fake reports being created these days. I've encountered 2 in the past couple months. So if your gut is telling you something is fishy, send an email to one of the CarFax/CarProof agents and they can verify the report immediately :thumbsup:.

BensonTT
06-22-2011, 10:52 AM
is there any tips on how to spot one?

chkolny541
06-22-2011, 10:57 AM
^^anything jdm with a clean title

03ozwhip
06-22-2011, 11:03 AM
^^lol wtf?

Kg810
06-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by BensonTT
is there any tips on how to spot one?

There are a few:

- Check out the formatting of the report and match it with the sample reports you can view on the websites. That means checking out the headings, the specific color scheme, the orientation of the checkboxes (CarProof).

- Make sure the VIN# matches up and try to do your own research the VIN# on the report given to you - I.E - Google it or run it through a free AutoCheck report to try to get some confirmation on the accuracy of the report http://52internet.net/autocheck/

- CarProof reports are URL based, so any other format should be verified, unless you trust the source. On average it takes half a day to hear back from CarProof on whether or not the CarProof is legit, so definitely worth it to get that confirmation.

That's pretty much all, simple steps and they don't take much time.

Tik-Tok
06-22-2011, 01:47 PM
Who the hell trusts someone else's carfax/proof? It's available online instantaneously for a reason.

Kg810
06-22-2011, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Who the hell trusts someone else's carfax/proof? It's available online instantaneously for a reason.

Not sure you're understanding what I meant. But why would bother paying for one when you can just email CarProof or CarFax to verify that it's legitimate?

Anyways, what I'm referring to is that, most dealerships and private sellers get a report when they intially list a car up for sale, sometimes the car may be up for several months before it gets sold. They aren't going to generate a report every few weeks or month for the same car, so since that happens, you will more often enough come across reports that were generated in advance. On top of that, some dealerships send scanned copies.

You can choose to spend your own money to get a new report, or choose to trust and use the one you get. If you have doubts or need to know 100% that the report is genuine then just contact an agent that's what I'm trying to say.

94boosted
06-22-2011, 04:28 PM
That's a good tip, thanks Kg810.

Which places were giving fake reports?

Stunt66
06-22-2011, 05:35 PM
What would happen to a dealer if you found out they gave you a fake one after purchase?

J-hop
06-22-2011, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

agreed, I don't even trust carfax in the first place, especially with their ridiculous mileage errors. Making a quick trip to AMA or other registry and having a search done is the best way to do it IMO.

Any inspection forms or carfax a seller hands me goes straight to the trash.

mr2mike
06-24-2011, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by chkolny541
^^anything jdm with a clean title
LOL