PDA

View Full Version : why are the roads STILL not clean?

Guillermo
06-23-2011, 12:08 PM
it's almost fucking July for christ sakes! and yet crowfoot and glenmore, two of the city's major thoroughfares, are covered in sand like a fucking sandbox! driving onto glenmore west from elbow is like driving down a fucking sand mound. i can understand not being able to cut the grass due to rain, but that shouldn't keep the lazy fat fucks from driving around their stupid little street sweepers! GRRRRRR :whipped: :whipped: :whipped:

Dilmah
06-23-2011, 12:26 PM
They just did my street for the second time in two months :thumbsup:

narou
06-23-2011, 12:33 PM
They are not being lazy dude, those guys have had a lot of work to get done.

kaput
06-23-2011, 12:43 PM

Guillermo
06-23-2011, 12:44 PM
i understand they have a lot of work to do, but you would think they would clean up the major roads like glenmore and crowchild before cleaning up Dilmah's street for the second time. :whipped:

narou
06-23-2011, 12:47 PM
I feel you there.. Im disgusted when riding home on crowchild by how much shit is littering the road.

adam c
06-23-2011, 12:50 PM
I'm convinced they aren't doing any maintenance this year besides construction, I tried taking my daughter to the park last night and was absolutely swarmed with mosquitoes, she ended up getting bit 6 times in a 2 minute window, if you weren't at the park it would have looked like i was beating her trying to get rid of them all

dino_martini
06-23-2011, 01:08 PM
I got tired of waiting, so I swept up all the gravel I could from infront of my property. Atleast this way we can play road hockey without eating shit from slipping on the gravel.

I don't think I have ever seen the street sweepers come so late.

FraserB
06-23-2011, 01:29 PM
Twice here too.:bigpimp:

The closer you live to an alderman or city manager, the faster it gets done. Apparently the head of city roads lives in Douglasdale and they are the first ones done every year.

btimbit
06-23-2011, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
Twice here too.:bigpimp:

The closer you live to an alderman or city manager, the faster it gets done. Apparently the head of city roads lives in Douglasdale and they are the first ones done every year.

Lets find his house and dump a pile of gravel and sand onto his driveway

calgarydub
06-23-2011, 09:35 PM
I live up the street from Dave Bronco, this shit use to be done last week or two before June.... now, its still here and worse than ever.

I too have noticed that there are heaps of gravel on street corners... do they plan to leave it for next winter?

Only 4 months till it snows anyways

Kennyredline
06-23-2011, 09:50 PM
Why bother cleaning the streets? It's gonna fucking snow in three months anyway.....

J-D
06-23-2011, 10:26 PM
Tell that to the 15 odd city trucks I see sleeping in parking lots every day... Somehow I think a union that rewards nothing but seniority is a lost cause.

lellowrx7
06-23-2011, 10:43 PM
Were city maintenance areas part of our budget cuts?
This city is growing and growing we cant be cutting clean up costs :/

CUG
06-23-2011, 11:45 PM
The uni vote in full effect!

Maybelater
06-23-2011, 11:52 PM
My street is nice and clean :bigpimp:

EG6boi
06-24-2011, 12:23 AM
It took awhile for my streets to be cleaned too but the streets are taking longer than expected to clean because of the extra gravel and sand dumped on the roads during the winter season.

It is expected to take until mid-July or August before they reach Calgary limits.

C_Dave45
06-24-2011, 07:19 AM
It's almost as if they're on strike or something. I've lived at my house for 10 years and the park beside me has ALWAYS been maintained. Right now the grass is about 18" high. It looks like an abandoned field. They've cut it once, before the May long, and haven't been back since. The mosquitos are swarming out of there. I've phoned 311 twice in the past two weeks and so far nothing. Nice how they're quick to throw out fines when we let our own lawns go, or don't shovel the walks immediately, yet they seem to be able to take their sweet time. I've mowed my lawn 5 times already....where ARE THEY?? :dunno:

Ven
06-24-2011, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
It's almost as if they're on strike or something. I've lived at my house for 10 years and the park beside me has ALWAYS been maintained. Right now the grass is about 18" high. It looks like an abandoned field. They've cut it once, before the May long, and haven't been back since. The mosquitos are swarming out of there. I've phoned 311 twice in the past two weeks and so far nothing. Nice how they're quick to throw out fines when we let our own lawns go, or don't shovel the walks immediately, yet they seem to be able to take their sweet time. I've mowed my lawn 5 times already....where ARE THEY?? :dunno:

Park maintenance has been mostly privatized now, I'm not sure if 311 will speed things up or not now. I feel your pain, the parks around here are brutally overgrown. Weeds are starting to look like little trees. Never seen it like this, ever. :thumbsdow

Buffalo Soldier
06-24-2011, 09:07 AM
Ya its bullshit the city is taking their sweet ass time. I ride my motorbike so I am always well aware of all the gravel. Here and there is clean but the majority of roads are brutal.

02WhiteWs6
06-24-2011, 09:47 AM
Yeah, I don't get it either. Do they not drive a water truck in front of the sweepers? Why not sweep when it rains? It looks like they do nothing, maybe play cards or somthing. This city looks gross, everywhere. The dandylion stems are pushing a foot long already. I'm surprised they haven't started to grow in all the dirt a gravel on the sides of the streets. :thumbsdow

MyMan23
06-24-2011, 09:50 AM
>>I tried taking my daughter to the park last night and was absolutely swarmed with mosquitoes,

Yeah no kidding. I took a shortcut through the park last night. Had to litterly run full sprint as I was swarmed by the little basterds. The other day they had some city expert on the radio saying this was normal, BS, I've lived here since 1988 and I never had an experience like that. I was like something out of survivour man.

Dandelions every where, gravel every where, mosquitoes everywhere, potholes everywhere, and oh, my property taxes went up 20% this year. I guess those airport tunnels won't pay for them selves.

Delightful.

Guillermo
06-24-2011, 11:14 AM
Well to be fair, the mosquitoes and lack of grass cutting are due to the vast amounts of rain we've had this year. the rain makes puddles where mosquito larvae can grow, and as they said in the news a couple of days ago, it's made the ground too wet and the mowing equipment just tears up the turf. that's their excuse anyhow, and I can kinda understand that.

but jesus christ, you would think they would clean the major roads before cleaning everyone's quiet happy neighborhood road. seriously, driving on crowchild there are 20 cm deep PILES of sand lining the roads. WTF, they could have those roads cleaned in a single night. :banghead: :banghead:

Tomaz
06-24-2011, 11:50 AM
didn't anybody read/watch the news in May?

This is not word-for-word, but it was projected that street cleaning wasn't projected to be completed until the end of July at the earliest. The cause was due to the fact that the city dumped a fuck-ton more material on the roads compared to previous years (3 or 4 times more iirc).

Mosquitoes and dandelions are not being sprayed for this year: Dandelions are no longer considered a noxious weed, and there were too many ppl protesting the heath effects of spraying for mosquitoes.

The extra rain keeps the crews from mowing, plus created homes for all the skeeters to breed.

This is news? I was reading about this in May, and it was predicted in April. :dunno:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-24-2011, 12:03 PM
Got a nice smashed windshield on the Deerfoot today.