PDA

View Full Version : I want to clean by engine bay - where can i take it?

maxwinedog
06-23-2011, 08:53 PM
i know many will say its an easy DIY job but it scares me because its under the hood and i dont want to fuck anything up. i know all you need is gunk engine degreaser and a low pressure hose and some WD-40, but it still scares me. So where can i take it or if any of you who have done yours and want to do mine let me know. The good thing is my bay is actually pretty clean compared to most ive seen but its never had an engine bay cleaning so i want to do its first and i want it to look new.

OR if you can tell me what to cover up and give some added pointers then maybe, just maybe ill have enough confidence to do it myself.

Modelexis
06-23-2011, 09:00 PM
I know this is going to sound shocking, but what kind of car are we talking about?

A brand new hybrid lexus, or a 1984 civic with carbs and no ecu...etc.
do you have individual throttle bodies?

All engine bays require unique care when washing.

I would suggest this resource to get some examples of washing techniques:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=engine+bay+wash&aq=f

Some hilarious ones, check out the guy with the turbo honda that washes his shit while his car is still running and not covering anything up while spraying. He also was too lazy to clean his cam gears by moving his hand so he put the wash mit on them while the engine was turning and the motor did the cleaning.

Smart or or insane, you make the call...

SJW
06-23-2011, 09:12 PM
1.) Get engine warm
2.) Spray copious amounts of simple green everywhere.
3.) Use brush if really grimy to work it in there.
4.) Wait 10 mins
5.) Pressure wash rinse.

Voila, clean engine.

ryanallan
06-23-2011, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by SJW
1.) Get engine warm
4.) Wait 10 mins
5.) Pressure wash rinse.

Voila, clean engine.
+1

I might add - do not spray directly at electrical connections.

SJW
06-23-2011, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by ryanallan

+1

I might add - do not spray directly at electrical connections.

I woulda added that but I just don't care.

Cooked Rice
06-26-2011, 01:56 AM
The dealer where it's from. If there are sensitives components, they should know about them. And if they fry something they are more likely to fix it with less hassle than a detail shop. A lot of cars don't like water under the bonnet. I once washed the engine bay of a Lexus SC400 I owned, and it didn't start for the next couple of hours after I washed it.

Team_Mclaren
06-26-2011, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by Cooked Rice
The dealer where it's from. If there are sensitives components, they should know about them. And if they fry something they are more likely to fix it with less hassle than a detail shop.

you know where the dealers bring the car to get an engine wash??..... their detailer shop. Which is the same shit everywhere. And this is what they'll do:

Originally posted by SJW
1.) Get engine warm
4.) Wait 10 mins
5.) Pressure wash rinse.

in case they do fuck it up, they'll just tell you that its not their fault and proceed to charge you to diagnosis whats wrong with it.

Cooked Rice
06-26-2011, 02:15 AM
Yes, do you know how often techs preach to the detailer guys where not to spray water on certain models...