PDA

View Full Version : New tdi worth it?

kongaj
06-24-2011, 09:04 AM
Hey all

Ive been looking at a new car for awhile now. the 93 Corolla is nearing the end of its life.

I have been looking at a few models but one of my requirements is a hatchback or wagon. Fuel economy is also a big factor.
I was looking at a 2011 VW Golf or Wagon TDI. Good choice?

I have also test drove a 2012 Ford Focus Titanium and liked it. Although im not sure I like the car or all the tech inside.

Any suggestions or opinions are welcome. Thanks.

ExtraSlow
06-24-2011, 09:31 AM
If you're looking to save money with fuel economy, the TDI is a Red Herring.

TDI MSPR - $25,275
Elantra Touring GL MSPR - $17,399.
I would guess there's more room to negotiate on the Hyundai as well.

You'll never make back that extra eight thousand bucks.

Sure, the TDI is a great engine, and the Golf is a great car, but don't fool yoruself into thinking you are saving money because of the great fuel economy.

Tik-Tok
06-24-2011, 09:34 AM
TDI will have significantly better resale value though, unless you're driving it 80km one way to work everyday, which is the only point in time it'd be worth it, which would kill the resale after a few years of that, lol.

schocker
06-24-2011, 09:41 AM
I would say it is. The fuel savings are substantial if you look at places like http://www.fuelly.com where you can see real world results. This will be more so beneficial if you do less stop and go driving. The fit and finish on the golf is still excellent, better than on the jetta, and iirc the tdi version gets different suspension than the 2.5 giving it better handling aswell (also includes block heater). http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4903300-Golf-TDi-or-Golf-2.5 has more info as well. Car has plenty of torque for its size and has adequate power, but can also be tuned of course if you are looking for more power. Also, the resale on TDI is much higher than average so you can also take that into consideration and the reliability of the tdi's have always been better than the other vws with many owners running up the miles.

Xtrema
06-24-2011, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
If you're looking to save money with fuel economy, the TDI is a Red Herring.

TDI MSPR - $25,275
Elantra Touring GL MSPR - $17,399.
I would guess there's more room to negotiate on the Hyundai as well.

You'll never make back that extra eight thousand bucks.

Sure, the TDI is a great engine, and the Golf is a great car, but don't fool yoruself into thinking you are saving money because of the great fuel economy.

Why are you comparing different brands?

TDI is 25.2
Non-TDI of the same model is $22.8

Bascially $2500 more to save 20% in fuel.

Worth it or not is how fast you can save your $2500 back.

Of course, if argument is really $ and not environment, you can always downgrade to a Elantra.

dino_martini
06-24-2011, 10:37 AM
The Jetta got redesigned but I thought it felt really cheap and dumbed down. The Golf had much better fit and finish over all in my opinion. Also I'm a sucker for hatchbacks. The extra torque from the TDI is always welcome :burnout:

schocker
06-24-2011, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Why are you comparing different brands?

TDI is 25.2
Non-TDI of the same model is $22.8

Bascially $2500 more to save 20% in fuel.

Worth it or not is how fast you can save your $2500 back.

Of course, if argument is really $ and not environment, you can always downgrade to a Elantra.
The 2.0 gets about 10mpg more than the 2.5 though so it is pretty significant, and the resale on the tdi would be excellent while on the hyundai, not so much.

ExtraSlow
06-24-2011, 10:53 AM
I'm comparing different brands because his post said fuel economy way a top priority, which led me to belive that he's concerned about the cost to own and operate this vehicle.

Plus, he hasn't even decided if he likes the VW yet.

Don't misunderstand me, I really like the TDI, and I think VW is a good car. All I'm saying is that you shouldn't fixate on your fuel mileage. Focus instead on total cost to own.

kongaj
06-24-2011, 01:41 PM
I dont really want the Hyundai. The Elantra touring is way overdue for a redeisgn and doesnt have the same auora if you will as the VW.

I like VW. For $2500I think its worth it for the tdi. I think its a better engine. But once you add the bluetooth and all to it... starts to get up around $30k.
Im just a little torn. I dont know what to get... and it doesnt help im 6'6". It narrows the choices down haha

schocker
06-24-2011, 01:50 PM
Well it is pretty loaded with the highline trim, so it doesn't seem too bad with leather and all.

btimbit
06-26-2011, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini
The Jetta got redesigned but I thought it felt really cheap and dumbed down. The Golf had much better fit and finish over all in my opinion. Also I'm a sucker for hatchbacks. The extra torque from the TDI is always welcome :burnout:

Current generation of Golf designed in Europe, current gen Jetta was designed in America. That's why the quality differs so much.
And despite the name, the Golf Wagon is actually a Jetta, so that quality would be a bit poorer as well.

Also, fuel savings aside, remember how much better the resale is for a TDI. The cheapest TDI Golf on kijji right now is $7500, it's ten years old and has 235 000kms, a demolished windshield and bald tyres

Transp0rt3r
06-27-2011, 01:10 AM
I got Golf Wagon 2011 TDI manual 10 months ago and can't be more happy with the car. I went for highline (pretty much everything possible included except navigation system). Cost me $33k.

I drive to University and back every day (around 22km one way). 55L of diesel ($53/tank - cheapest diesel is at Flying J, Deerfoot and 114 Ave SE) gets me through 2 weeks easily. Car is roomy as hell and pretty fun to drive (not as fun as my old WRX tho :burnout: ) .

I sat in new 2011/2012 Jettas and they don't even stand close to the quality of Golf.

In the city, computer shows 6.4L/100km currently. Drove to Portland, OR last year - took little more than a tank for 1200km. I got it to 4.5L/100km on the highway which I think is pretty darn good.

muse017
06-27-2011, 01:23 AM
Sorry to VW folks but I would never buy Jetta/Golf period.
Great engine, resale etc, however amount of hours I spent in VW dealership is not even funny. Hell pretty much all of my savings from fuel went directly to dealership's pocket probably.

nismodrifter
06-27-2011, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by muse017
Sorry to VW folks but I would never buy Jetta/Golf period.
Great engine, resale etc, however amount of hours I spent in VW dealership is not even funny. Hell pretty much all of my savings from fuel went directly to dealership's pocket probably.

Heard all VW's have electrical problems???

<Goes to garage....3 TDI's there.....wut?>

Haven't spent shit all on all 3 of our TDI's. MAF sensors x2, coolant temp sensor just failed on one of them, I can't think of anything major....

muse017
06-27-2011, 01:38 AM
My engine had serious Carbon built up issues and I pretty much had to clean it every 50k~60k. I drove a lot(60k/year) and it costs me over a grand every visit.
Electrical issues,,,,well l kinda gave it up after 230k lol.
When I sold my car, the condition was,,,,both side mirrors had turned brownish, only 1/3 light bulbs working properly...etc...:rofl:

darthVWader
06-27-2011, 05:43 AM
Love my 09 TDI and zero issues with my last two V-Dubs (knock on wood). The only thing I hate is the high cost of servicing.

Zero102
06-27-2011, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Transp0rt3r
I got Golf Wagon 2011 TDI manual 10 months ago and can't be more happy with the car. I went for highline (pretty much everything possible included except navigation system). Cost me $33k.

I drive to University and back every day (around 22km one way). 55L of diesel ($53/tank - cheapest diesel is at Flying J, Deerfoot and 114 Ave SE) gets me through 2 weeks easily. Car is roomy as hell and pretty fun to drive (not as fun as my old WRX tho :burnout: ) .

I sat in new 2011/2012 Jettas and they don't even stand close to the quality of Golf.

In the city, computer shows 6.4L/100km currently. Drove to Portland, OR last year - took little more than a tank for 1200km. I got it to 4.5L/100km on the highway which I think is pretty darn good.

I bought a 2010 Elantra touring GLS for $21k last year, I drive it ~38km/day and I have no problem getting 660km on 45L, for about 6.8L/100km. I drove it to/from Vernon, BC last year and managed to get 5.2L/100km on the highway. The fuel savings just aren't that significant.

Originally posted by muse017
My engine had serious Carbon built up issues and I pretty much had to clean it every 50k~60k. I drove a lot(60k/year) and it costs me over a grand every visit.
Electrical issues,,,,well l kinda gave it up after 230k lol.
When I sold my car, the condition was,,,,both side mirrors had turned brownish, only 1/3 light bulbs working properly...etc...:rofl:

If you have to have it decarboned every 50-60k and are paying the dealership 1k every time you are doing 2 things wrong.

Now, before you jump down my throat for being a hater..... Before my Elantra (well, 2 cars before) I had a 2005 Golf GLS TDI that I bought new and drove for over 4 years. In those 4 years it required approximately $7k in warrantied repairs and never quite returned the mileage I was hoping for. On the up side, I had it chipped (shortly before I sold it) and that made it way more fun, the gobs of torque made passing on the highway and towing trailers childs play. I like the sound and smell of diesel engines so that was a plus to me and my wife really liked driving it.

What I am saying is, don't buy a TDI for the mileage / cost savings because you will be disappointed (unless you enjoy lying to yourself, in which case you won't be disappointed). Buy them for the driveability and torque.
Maybe you will have better luck than me when it comes to expensive electrical issues and parts failures.

Kg810
06-27-2011, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by btimbit
And despite the name, the Golf Wagon is actually a Jetta

Actually, it is supposed to be called the Golf Wagon. Jetta Wagon is just a name for United States because people down there cannot comprehend a Wagon version of a Hatchback.

codetrap
06-27-2011, 10:58 AM
Wow.. some misinformation here eh?

I just sold my 2006 Jetta Wagon TDI, and after meticulously tracking all expenses related to it, the final tally was that it was NOT worth it over the costs for me. I sold it at 120k.. based on the trending, and assuming fuel prices remained constant, I calculated that it would have been 167k for break even, then after that I would have started to realize savings over just buying a Jetta Wagon gasser.

That all being said, I really did love that TDI...

CapnCrunch
06-27-2011, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by kongaj
and it doesnt help im 6'6&quot;. It narrows the choices down haha

You were in a 93 corolla? WTF?

kongaj
06-28-2011, 04:20 PM
yup a 93' corolla wagon. I fit...
Thanks for all the responses.

Apparently I can get a pretty big employee discount at Ford for a 2012 Focus. A family member works for a company that gets discount pricing on all new Fords. I'll see first what the cost savings is and go from there.

sillysod
06-28-2011, 07:28 PM
I had a Passat TDi with the 1.9L in it and it was by far the best car I have ever owned.

I got 600,000kms out of it before my cousin drove it into a bridge and wrote it off.

The key is to buy a diesel NEW, do not buy a used diesel car. The average consumer has no idea about diesels and drives them just like a gas vehicle. It is very very imporant to plug them in when it's cold out and let them warm up properly before driving. My neighbour had a TDI jetta that lasted 80,000kms before he had to get the engine repaired - but he would start it up in the middle of winter and burn blue the entire way down the block.

I like the 1.8T in my A4, but it isn't 1/2 the motor the TDI was.

forkdork
06-28-2011, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by sillysod
I had a Passat TDi with the 1.9L in it and it was by far the best car I have ever owned.

I got 600,000kms out of it before my cousin drove it into a bridge and wrote it off.

The key is to buy a diesel NEW, do not buy a used diesel car. The average consumer has no idea about diesels and drives them just like a gas vehicle. It is very very imporant to plug them in when it's cold out and let them warm up properly before driving. My neighbour had a TDI jetta that lasted 80,000kms before he had to get the engine repaired - but he would start it up in the middle of winter and burn blue the entire way down the block.

Id say a tdi isn't worth it unless bought used. You can get a fairly pristine example with 100k on it in the 15k range. If it has excellent maintenance records then it is golden.

btw: I don't warm up the car before taking off unless it is -30 (saskatchewan) in which case i'll only wait until the idle smooths out. no block heater either. 265 000 trouble free km